1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are Progo batteries/chargers 100% compatible with OEM stuff? (OM-D)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Jul 7, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

Sorry to start another thread about this, but the past few threads on this got derailed quickly. Let's start with this: I don't care about any other brand...(Wasabi, etc). I'm only asking about ONE brand: Progo.

I'd like to know this: Are Progo batteries 100% compatible with OEM chargers and are Progo chargers 100% compatible with OEM batteries?

I'm going to Europe in 3 weeks, and I really need to figure out my battery situation, as there will be no room for error once I'm on that plane.

I'd like to take the Progo charger, plus two OEM batteries and two Progo batteries with me.

Thanks!
    Tamas

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I know you don't wanna hear another brand but I use ROWA JAPAN batteries and I charge them using the OEM charger. They are 100% compatible.

I think the performance is about 70-80% of the original.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, but I'm serious...don't want to hear about any other brand haha. That happens every time, then people sidetrack and end up discussing all sorts of other stuff, and I don't get my answer. :) (I can't get that brand here anyways).

So, let's just answer these two questions with a simple yes or no. :)

1: Will Progo batteries charge in OEM chargers?
    2: Will OEM batteries charge in Progo chargers? (This one being especially important).

Thanks!

4. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
  5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada

Still waiting to see about the very important question: Will the OEM batteries charge in the Progo charger?

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Yes Progo batteries (BLN-1 replacement) are 100% compatible with the BLN-1 and Olympus BCN-1 charger. I've just ordered two more.

The battery has been averaging about 370 photos per charge even with heavy use of the OLED.

Can't speak about the Progo charger as I never bought one.

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks...that's good to know. :)

However, I'd really, really, REALLY like to know about the charger, as they have the much nicer folding-type of plug, instead of the stupid Olympus cord. (I can't seem to be able to find the converters in Korea to make it into just a plug-in thing, so let's not sidetrack there haha).

Does anyone know anything about the Progo chargers? Will they charge Oly batteries fine?

8. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    I have a charger that I believe to be identical to the Progo charger, and it charges OEM batteries fine. If I understand the situation correctly, OEM batteries will charge in anything (since the simple travel chargers just use the actual battery charge pins, and it is a standard lithium ion battery in there), but that only some batteries will charge in the OEM charger (because the OEM charger uses the charge AND communication pins, and will "ask" the battery if it is ok to charge. Some aftermarket batteries aren't coded (don't know how to respond to the question) and hence can't charge in the OEM charger.

I have an actual Progo branded charger coming in the mail, so I could tell you conclusively in a week, but that is probably too late for your travel plans.

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks so much, I think you're bang on the money with your observations...that's how I understood these to work, but needed confirmation! :) I appreciate your informative answer! :)

10. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
  11. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
  12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, yeah I saw that, I'm going to order something when I get home...for the next little while, though I'll be in Korea, so those won't help.

However, I ordered a Progo charger and a couple of batteries...they should be here in tomorrow, I'm hoping.

13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    So after two months how did the Progo batteries work out for you?

14. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    The 2 that I ordered have worked out fine. So far I've only charged them with the olympus charger.