1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are people really buying E-M1 to add Oly's SHG/HG FT lenses to their system?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by New Daddy, Nov 18, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/one_upon_a_time.shtml

The blog specifically states that E-M1 will make the super high grade/high grade Oly lenses "current" and will appeal to those who don't own them yet. Is this going to happen? If those lenses were THAT good, how bad was E-5 that people who were willing to pay $$$ have waited until now for a modern body worthy of those lenses?

2. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Well, it depends on your shooting style and such. I seriously doubt most E-M1 owners have any intention to stock up on 4/3rds glass. However, it remains a wonderful and viable option for people with the E-M1. Whenever I upgrade to the E-M1, I will be very happy about the fact that I could rent 4/3rds glass for some shoots. I usually don't need that sort of glass for my work, but it could very certainly come in handy in some scenarios.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Only if they weren't buying m4/3 for size and S-AF speed... those fast 4/3 zooms were still pretty big, and are slower than the fastest AF m4/3 lenses of today.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm sure there are a few people who will do that, but I think they will be very few. The possibility of having an f/2.0 zoom can't help but get attention, and there are always people for whom 'the best x' is a good enough reason to get 'x', regardless of other factors.

For most people with the E-M1 though, the lenses are too large, heavy and otherwise compromised (C-AF, etc.) to make sense. As to the E-5, it wasn't bad per se, but it performs like a 5-year old Panasonic-sensored camera would, which is to say quite a ways behind the current m4/3 state-of-the-war.

5. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I bought into M43 because of size but I have taken a look at these 4/3 lenses now that I have the E-M1. I love the fact that M43 lenses are small, but these 4/3 lenses are definitely interesting ... not to mention incredible IQ.

I wouldn't mind the 150mm f2.0 :smile:

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yep. I did.

Gordon

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The short answer - Yes.

The only issue with the E-5 was the fact that Olympus left no upgrade path for those us with 4/3s gear - and technology does not stand still.

And no dhazeghi it does not perform like a 5 year old Pansonic-sensored camera would - the E-5 performance was the flagship of the 4/3 and m4/3s just three years ago! It took Olympus three years to come up with something to replace it! And I'm not so sure the EM-1 performs to that level with the SHG/HG lenses!

Most 4/3s users have continued to use their E-30s, E-3, E-5s waiting for the E-5 replacement. Some others just switched brands, and others of us kept a foot in the door as well as with another brand.

Lenses like the 150mm f/2.0 ($2,500), 300mm f/2.8 ($7,000), 7-14mm f/4, 14-35mm f/2.0 ($2300) , 35-100 f/2.0 ($2500), and 90-250mm f/2.8 ($6,000) and even the high grade lenses like 50mm f/2.0 Macro, 11-22 f/2.8-35, 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 SWD, 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD: with Olympus's witdrawl for the 4/3s field they left us 4/3 users in a lurch in 2010. (I probably missed few lenses)

And the lenses are "That Good" ! That is why we have waited. You'll notice few of the used SHGs for sale, and when they are - they still are not inexpensive. That says a lot about their quality.

8. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have a 14-35 and 50-200 that now work beautifully on the E-M1. Count me as a yes.

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I bought a 14-54 Mk II and a used 50-200 SWD for my m4/3 cameras before the fast zooms came out. While the 14-54 Mk II worked decently on my E-M5, the 50-200 SWD was slow in focusing and missed focus way too often, making it impractical on any m4/3 cameras before the E-M1, but when it nailed focus, image quality was incredible. Now that I upgraded to an E-M1, the 50-200 SWD has become my second most used lens behind the 12-40/2.8. While not nearly as fast as the native m4/3 lenses, it is fast enough. In fact, it makes me start seriously thinking of acquiring some refurbished SHG lenses. The top of my list is the 150/2.0...

10. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

The EM 1 is only the first camera with this new phase detection sensor, I would expect future generations to improve the autofocus ability of these lenses. They really are some of the finest lenses ever produced and will become viable for some ยต4/3 users with continued autofocus improvements.

11. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Not me. I'd only buy an E-M1 because it's a great compact camera and probably mainly use wide primes primes on it. The other big selling point is RRS is making an L-plate for the E-M1 and not for the GX7 or E-P5. I can live without big teles or fast zooms, but the lack of an L-plate is a deal breaker.

12. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Not me. The biggest reason I went M4/3 is the size factor.

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    SHG, no, because of the price/weight proposition. I will be getting a 55-200 HG lens. Would I prefer a native 100-400/f4 around the same size? Yes. But since nothing remotely similar has been announced (and 150/2.8 is a little too short for me, and 16mp doesn't let me crop to zoom enough for my tastes) this seems like a good in-between solution for my sporadic safari/wildlife needs.

14. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I am currently considering buying an E-M1 and also considering buying the Four Thirds 50-200mm SWD f/2.8-3.5 to go with it, especially as the Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 has not been released yet. I am weighing that up against a number of other options, including the much more compact, but much more limited, Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8.

15. The 4/3 lenses that interest me are the ones that haven't yet been replicated in Micro 4/3, with the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 being a prime example of that. When comparing similar 4/3 and m4/3 lenses there is of course the size disadvantage of 4/3 but also the fact that even with sensor PDAF the lenses still aren't optimised to function with the cameras to the same degree as the native lenses are.

16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I'm trading in my E-5 right now...for an EM1. The E-5 wasn't bad, it was just starting to show its age. I'm looking forward to the 7-14mm SHG on the EM1...I might also sell off the 12-60mm and 8mm and put it toward the new 12-40

17. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    With the E-M1 in mind, I bought a used 50-200mm to see how good the HG lenses are actually. And in fact, the lens has nothing comparable in mFT.

I will upgrade to E-M1 for this lens ...

• Like Like x 1
  18. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    If what the author in the Luminous Landscape says has some truth in it, which I sense is the case from the posts in this thread, then micro 4/3s will now represent two different camps thanks to E-M1: (1) photographers who want compact, low-weight system camera with good optics and handling, (who may still try the SHG or HG 4/3 lens as a vanity item), and (2) photographers who want the best AF zooms on the field regardless of the body+lens size or weight.

Interesting..

19. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    How did you find it in use?

20. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    You forget the third group who like omds and don't particularly enjoy carrying long heavy glass but want or need it situationally. I imagine the third group is larger then the second one. Why choose or limit yourself by limiting your options.