1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Are Panasonic GX7 JPEGs closer to Olympus/Fuji than previous models?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Steven, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    After sampling the beauty of "almost no work required" Fuji Jpegs, I am annoyed to have to constantly mess with Panasonic files from my GX1. Is GX7 Jpeg engine a big improvement? I am tempted to go Olympus for better out-of-camera Jpeg but certain Panasonic features keep pulling me back in. I keep hearing new sensor in GX7 does colors better than before too. Is that correct?
    Thank you :smile:

2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    I don't use GX1 but i have EM5 and already compared them. EM5 is more punchy contrast in color and also the Olympus's character is a bit warmer. But that's doesn't mean GX7 is not good. Actually i almost bought GX7 but after long time considering, i bought GM1 instead which is almost similar output JPG with GX7.

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Check out Huelight profiles if you shoot raw. Great look, very little work. Also DXO has some great body and film emulations that IMO are better than Olympus. I wish Oly or Panasonic had Nikon Picture controls, talk about ultimate JPEG customization.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    To be honest, I prefer the older GX1/G3 jpegs. The GX7 sensor has better DR, but I just wasn't feeling the jpegs all that much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    GX7 hater lol :p

6. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    I have both em5 and gx7, honestly i like the jpegs out of the em5 better, but the gx7 also does a great job on theirs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Really? I think you are the first person that I've seen say that.. :confused:

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    So , do you like EM5 JPEG more than GM1? or are they about the same?

9. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I've always liked Olympus JPEGs.

I've owned Panasonic GH1, GH2, GH3, GF2, GF3, and maybe something else that I'm forgetting. I found that the GH3 showed a big improvement to JPEG colors over the previous models. Big improvement.

I haven't used a GX7. But I think it is reasonable to assume that the GX7 also has big JPEG improvements since the GX7 came out at about the same time as the GH3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    I love EM5 JPEG. But with a few setting GM1 can do almost similar output. Usually with natural i add 2 contrast, 2 sharpness, 1 saturn, and of course -4 for noise reduction.

11. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I find the GX7 "vivid" JPEGs at least as pleasing as those from E-P1 and E-PM1 if that's any help

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not saying pictures were bad, but for some reason I was having a harder time manipulating the jpegs to my liking with the GX7 versus the older Panasonic 16mp sensor and even the 12mp sensor. I ended up switching back to Olympus. :tongue:

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    JPEGs are a product of settings. You can't compare JPEGs between cameras, because you have so much flexibility in what you do with JPEGs in-camera these days.

Let's say, Standard JPEG Camera A is usually preferred to Standard JPEG Camera B. So what? Tweak a dial on B and now it is preferred.

Unless you are saying, "I only want to shoot Standard JPEG", then I guess it might be a reason to pick one camera over another. Although I might question your need for a sophisticated camera.

14. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    yeah... I am going to go ahead and disagree with you there. It's obviously not as simple as tweaking some in-camera menu options. There are teams of Fuji and Olympus engineers who would disagree with you there too I imagine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's just a thought, I am not a huge JPEG shooter. It's pretty amazing what you can tweak in-camera these days for JPEGs, and sometimes the sensor is the same or close....

16. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    I am mostly a JPEG shooter, and only use RAW on occasion for specific shots. I was forever in love with the JPEGs from my E-P1, and had always planned to stat with olympus for this reason.

I've had the chance to play with GF1, GF2 & GX1 that all passed through my hands, and I didn't like the JPEG output of any of them. So again I assumed I would continue with Oly bodies.

When the GX7 came along, lots of people were chatting about the much improved JPEG performance and liking it more to OLY than ever before.

Taking on board all these opinions I got myself a GX7 because it has the features I wanted. And I am glad to say that I am very happy with the JPEG output from it. I was worried that having not taken to any of the Panasonic cameras I had tried previously I would regret not sticking with Olympus. But I like the GX7. Phew.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Having just changed from Fuji X10 & X-S1 to Lumix G5 & GX7 I can say the the output in jpegs is just about the same between them, well to my eyes anyways, both are as sharp and vibrant as each other given similar settings, Velvia on the Fuji and Vivid on the Lumix.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  18. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    So a question for those that say Panasonic, Fuji and Olympus jpegs are close, are you shooting people or things? For me there are stark differences in skin tones.

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Count me too as disagreeing with this facile tosh ;
    You certainly can compare Jpegs between cameras!
    ... and if your camera can't guarantee the expected whitebalance you've got more problems.

Back on-topic : when the GX7 was released I noticed an improvement in Jpeg colours in the first few review sites, certainly better than the GX1/G3 generation.

20. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My issue with the GX7 is how it deals with jpeg sharpening. With the G3/GX1, I can sharpen the jpegs in post and get a sharp image with nice clarity. With the GX7, despite having more adjustment settings for sharpness, I just wasn't feeling how my images were sharpening up. Plus in low light, despite reducing or turning off NR, pictures appeared more blotchy and in my view not much better than the G3/GX1 jpegs in high ISO. Saying that, the GX7 gets my vote for the best looking M43 camera! :wink:

IMG_20140325_170601%257E2.

• Like Like x 2