1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Are Nikon and Canon going to be too late?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Feb 10, 2018.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I suspect they are both still strong enough to grab the FF and APS-C mirrorless markets, assuming they get serious and product the lenses to go with the bodies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    No not too late if they get it right.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Agree, I'm just wondering since neither got serious about APS-C lenses, will they with mirrorless?

5. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Nikon didn't get serious about the 1 series, lets hope they do better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    A lot depends upon the price and size of the camera and lenses. I have a pretty good arsenal of Nikon lenses as well as m4/3 lenses. I'm never going to carry my Nikkor lenses on an international trip again. The size and weight are just plain old too much. I'm pretty sure that Nikon will make an adapter for their F mount lenses, but again, they're big and heavy, not to mention expensive. I guess that time will tell, but there is a big base of dedicated Nikon followers that will definitely buy whatever they make.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Canon APS-C is seriously weak in IS. They need in body IS. Until they take this step their APS-C bodies will never be competitive. Their full frames,get by on sensor size and quality.

8. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    When Nikon make an m4/3 i will buy it :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    I just looked into my crystal ball and it said, "Panamike will never own a Nikon."

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  10. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    They have registered a patent for a lens with a 2x crop :wtf::biggrin:

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    2X or 2.7X, the latter being their System1 series

12. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Washington DC
    Tony
    I switched to m43 because I love the lenses. And the lenses are smaller and lighter and I get the same image quality as my canon gear. Traveling with 3 primes, 2 zooms, and 2 bodies requires a very different bag in full frame than it does in m43.

A canon or Nikon mirrorless that needs existing lenses is not that different. Or certainly nothing to get me to switch back. They would need to seriously release a full set of dedicated lenses that are actually worth it. Not a bunch of variable aperture consumer zooms. At least for me.

The only full frame mirrorless I know of that has excellent lenses while keeping the size small is the Leica M.

I'm glad we still have options. I remember when Nikon and canon were the only digital game in town if you need a full set of lens options and top quality sensors.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    The nikon 1 system didn't fail because it couldn't perform. It was way ahead of its time in focus speed and accuracy, as well as the use of 1/16000 silent shutter. A $50 j1 paired with a $100 30-110 is a very capable telephoto combination.
    The 1's downfall was its price and lack of lens options.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I read recently that for Japanese market in 2017, Canon has narrowly beaten Sony to #2 spot behind Olympus, in mirrorless. So my guess is Canon is not too late. Nikon need to launch some products, however...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Canikon can do well, provided that starting this year, they bring out a product that is competitive or class leading at a price that a mass of people will adopt. I'm looking at this very closely from the Nikon side.

16. iLumix

iLumix Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2018
    Canon's M5 effort was weak IMO.

A of right now they don't seem to want to compete in the mirrorless arena.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    Pentax with their K-01 mark II will rule! Body smaller than GX8, sensor larger than :mu43:, design uglier than :blush::blush:
    IMGP1x.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The XH1 has IBIS?!

19. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    And canon needs to have a Sony sensor in those new mirrorless cameras.

20. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    It's not too late if they get it right like Mike said, but I seriously doubt they can "get it right" with their first a few mirrorless bodies that are supposed to take over their own DSLR market so no I'm not talking about the 1 series or the current EOS M. To get it right, they need to implement nearly all the popular features on other brands and offer those at competitive prices, if the lenses are good enough. That will not be easy even for C/N.

They need to find a weak spot in Sony, Fuji etc and offer something we have never seen on mirrorless market.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.