Are new cameras coming out this year?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Is this a bad time to buy a new m4/3 right now? I read somewhere that new cameras might be out this year for Olympus. Don't know about Panasonic. I don't know if there are other m4/3 camera makers.

Thank you.
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    There are new cameras coming out all the time....if you wait for the next model, you'll be waiting forever.....but to be helpful, there is a new Panasonic announcement coming this month and possibly 2 new ones from Olympus also in June, so if you;re not in a hurry, you should see at least one of these companies (or maybe both) push the state of the art..and possibly the state of the price point!
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Panny just announced the G3

Both Oly and Panny are rumored to be making major announcements of both bodies and lenses at the end of June
  4. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Like Luke says, you can wait forever for the next great thing.

But if you are new to m4/3, I would guess you could get some good deals on the year-old models when the prices drop as the new ones hit the stores in the next few weeks.

New camera models come out about every year, but it is usually an evolutionary change, rather than a revolutionary change in any particular product line. Even "obsolete" models released a couple of years ago are amazing little devices that take some time to learn how to use to get really pleasing images.

Buy any of the recent models that fit your budget and learn what they can do. After a couple of years you will have a better idea what you want in the more expensive and more sophisticated gear, and you can trade up to the latest and greatest if you are still hooked on m4/3.

After six months with it, I am still learning what my E-P2 can do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bubbaj

bubbaj Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    I've heard on my other forum that nikon is coming out with a "pro" version in the nearby future
  6. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm waiting on the G3 but thought about waiting just a little while longer to see what Olympus has. I like the look of the G3 very much.
  7. Waiting...

What's missing in the current line of mu43 cameras that you are looking for?

Unless the current gear breaks (G2 & GF-1) no point in replacing it until the camera I want is released. The current trend by Panasonic to put emphasis on reducing size in the G & GF line, removing manual controls has little appeal for me. For small touch screen cameras, I wish Pany would just continue to develop the LX line. The "pocket size" line. Merge the G & GF line into a "pro" grade of interchangeable lens, mu43 format bodies sized somewhere between the LX & full size DSLR. GH line for those wanting video plus other features.

The Camera:
    1. Basically a G2 in size & function with no video & restyled rangefinder style.
    a. no "prism" hump
    b. insert GF-1 style pop-up flash in similar location where it is on the
    GF-1, place the focus mode dial to where the video & iA buttons are.
    c. in addition to no video, delete all but M, S, A priority
    2. Improved sensor. Minimal to no noise at ISO 1600, increased dynamic range..
    3. Programed to run a higher end of G series lens.
    a. faster lens incorporating high quality glass
    b. aperture selection ring, focus ring on the lens
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Why no video and no P mode?
  9. Two features I've yet to use on any camera owned.
    Keep them in the GH line. Couple additional features to differentiate the G & GH line.
    Maybe free up some development time & effort.