are m43 bodies/lenses less vulnerable to fungus compared to DSLRs?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by CanonConvert, Jul 20, 2014.

1. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    i live in an area with high humidity (>80% RH) and all of my gear are currently parked in my dry cabinet @ 40% RH. As I sometimes bring my camera to work, I was thinking whether I could park my m43 system @ work permanently, and pass on the dry cabinet. my work environment is air-conditioned 14 hours a day, 6 days a week.

what do u guys think? is it common for m43 bodies/lenses to grow fungus as compared to DSLRs?
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I can't see how it would be any different really. You still need to take measures against moisture with all the lenses (weather sealed ones should be better, but the rear of the lens would still be vulnerable in storage).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    How do you get fungus on a lens? I have my dads and grandfathers camera gear. My dads stuff spent a lot of time in humid and hot NC and no issues.

Are people getting the lenses wet?
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Coatings may be more resistant to fungus now. Any lens can probably develop it, but fungus only forms on glass when there's something in the coatings that it wants to eat. Remember those old 35mm lenses are just that: Old.
  5. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    It would take either an enormously long time in the absolute, a moderate amount of time in extreme conditions or gross, gross mistreatment to get fungus in your gear. Mirrorless will be neither better nor worse than an SLR, and I don't think there's any real reason for concern regardless.
  6. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    i think it's the same. Need to be careful about fungus. But one thing for sure, I have never have a dust sensor's issues like DSLR. One of M43's magic