are Filters mountable on Voigtlander 17.5mm hood?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by krixoff, Aug 29, 2014.

1. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Hello,

I have purchased the Nokton 17.5mm and i'm looking for an ND variable filter. But i would like to know if filters can be mounted on the hood and not on the lens?

Thank you.

2. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Hi.
    The V17.5 hood has 67mm threads, and it looks plenty sturdy enough to allow attaching a filter out there. I would guess most hoods are designed to allow the maximum possible shading of the front element without any vignetting. So I'm not sure but I would expect some vignetting putting any kind of filter on the hood. Using a regular or thin non-variable ND between the lens and the hood might work better and be less expensive.

Dave

3. krixoff

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    is the thread inside of the hood or around the hood in exterior?

Thanks for your reply.

4. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    If it's like the 25mm hood, it does have filter threads. Though in the instructions it does say specifically not to do that, as it will vignette. I think the vignette would be worse on a wider lens if you put a filter on it.

5. krixoff

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Ok thank you, i think to buy an 58mm filter.

6. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    What the... lenses have instructions, and people actually read them?!?!? ;D

FWIW I throw a 67mm filter on my Voigt 17.5 hood from time to time (it shares filter size with another lens set I use) without noticing any vignette

7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    It would probably be better to buy a generic screw on hood for when you want to use both an variable nd/cpl and a lens hood.

8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Heh, I know right?

Though I also found that if I put a smaller 3rd party "normal" metal lens hood on the 25mm... it didn't vignette at all. Which is what I do, since the supplied lens hood is a small salad bowl.