Are EVF's useful for focusing adapted lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jeff Bennett, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    I just got a contax g1 along with 45 and 90 lenses so I bought an adapter for my epl2. Zooming the screen to focus while holding the camera out and operating the zoom is a PITA. Having limited use of one hand in my case makes it even more of a PITA. Can the EVF's be used for that or is the image too small?

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You absolutely NEED EVFs to focus manual lenses effectively. No question.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you are working on a tripod, you could get away without using an EVF.

--Ken

4. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    A necessity.Not only for sharp focus, but for a more grounded stance with heavier lenses.

5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Definitely much easier with an EVF.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Indoors I've been able to do it on my G5's LCD OK, but the EVF is much easier. You can also try finely adjusting the focus while shooting a burst and maybe one of your images will come out just right.

7. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Will the cheaper vf3 be sufficient or do I need the vf2? Never used either.

8. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I find that zooming the view whether on the screen or through the VF-2 to be the important part. On my E-PL5, I'll often flip the screen up to shoot from waist height, and the VF-2 is useless for that also.

The EVF helps in bright light, but I disagree completely that it's required to focus with manual lenses (which are all I use currently). Maybe it's because the E-PL5 has a very good screen.

9. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Yes the VF-3 is a great viewfinder. I shoot with a lot of legacy glass on my EPL2 and it works great. Plus the price can't be beat. Very under-rated.

10. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I agree with AceAceBaby. In my experience it depends on the quality of the LCD. I used the EVF on my G3 almost exclusively to focus my manual lens. With the G5's higher resolution LCD I've found that I'm able to use the LCD a lot more, which is nice since the articulation affords more flexibility while composing my shot.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It's a personal decision. I chose the VF2 because I liked the IQ over the VF3.

--Ken

12. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    For me it's essential.

13. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    EVF nice, but not required

The E-PL5 permits you to zoom in 5x to 10x to facilitate focusing with manual lenses - or kit lens in manual mode. I Prefer to do this using the VF-3 EVF, but the LCD works fine as well. I find the EVF to be sharper than the LCD, but this may be because my reading glasses are not strong enough for the LCD at stomach height. Some folks say that you should open a manual lens to its widest aperture, then focus, then reset the aperture. I have not found this to be necessary, and most of the time I forget to do it anyway.

14. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I'm using the VF-3 with my E-PL5 and Canon FD lens with excellent results.

15. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    I also am using the VF-3 with my E-PL5, and it works great. Everything that is viewable on the LCD is also viewable on the VF-3, such as the Super Control Panel. I also like the diopter adjustment, although it turns too easily, so it gets bumped out of adjustment. Easy to correct, though. I also like the tilt feature. My only nits are that I have not been able to adjust the color temp and brightness to match the LCD, but that may be just me. For the price difference from the VF-2, to me, it's a must-have accessory.

16. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm surprised I'm not hearing anything about the keyline/"peaking" art filter.

I don't have a new enough camera to have this feature, but so many people loved the NEX for MF focus because of peaking even before the EVF's came out for NEX.

17. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Keyline focus peaking is hit-or-miss for me. Works best if you have distinct, contrasting lines. Sometimes I'll put my WhiBal card (or anything with text on it) in front of my subject and use that to keyline pre-focus on.

18. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Ok. Ordered a used vf-3 from keh this afternoon.

19. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The utility depends on whether you can recognize the subject after you make a lucy-in-the-sky-with-diamonds cartoon out of it. That all depends on the subject and background. It's often useful so I've kept it programmed, although I prefer EVF and magnify mode.

20. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I actually think using the main LCD on the GF-1 is better than the EVF-1. Higher resolution. It's especially better when using fast lenses wide open, but that's just because the EVF-1 is crap. I still use it anyway because I prefer a viewfinder.