1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are DSLRs..beginning their last days?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Photorebel, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    This in an interesting article

http://gizmodo.com/the-last-days-of-the-dslr-1465327158

Personally, I think we will see mirror less FF bodies from Canon/Nikon at some point. When…I have no idea, but as M 4/3rds gains ground, and the new Sony FF cameras are already out, I would be stunned if Nikon/Canon aren't working on FF mirror less bodies right now.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think Thom hit the nail on the head here. I think we were all a bit swept up in the early success of mirrorless and missed the warning signs. The reality is that mirrorless is doing well in Japan and Asia, and poorly elsewhere. That's no reflection on the cameras, it's simply an indication of how the market in those regions is. I suspect there will be an eventual shift, but the timetable is dictated by when Canon and Nikon decide mirrorless will benefit them sufficiently to justify replacing many of their DSLR models. Thusfar at least, the market reasons have just not been compelling enough, and I don't see that changing. The more likely scenario in my mind is that they decide mirrorless is a way to improve margins by cutting manufacturing costs, but I have no idea when that will occur.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I think it's interesting the recent price cuts on Canon equipment. On Dec 1st…they seemed to raise prices across the board. The 6D for example went to $1799 (MAP) at B&H. Though I think you could actually buy it for $1649-$1699.00
    Now..the price is just over $1500 for body, and…$2089 for a kit. (Body and 24-105L lens). The lens..purchased separately…is $1100.00 and change.
    I've also noticed, Canon has dropped prices across the board on several bodies..after raising them Dec 1st.

This doesn't mean they are about to jump in mirror less camp, but…I do believe DSLRs sales are down, and have been declining in the last year or so.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11409/consumer-dslrs-dead-5-years

If Nikon and Canon think mirror less will increase sales…I believe they will produce models. But I believe sales are down, most because of high prices. Have you priced an 70-200 f/2.8 lenses in Nikon or Canon lately? 300 f/2.8s?

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sales have been down across the board - compacts, mirrorless and DSLRs.

These are low volume items. Even if Canon quadrupled 70-200/2.8 sales, it would not improve their bottom line significantly, and the only way to quadruple sales would be to sell that lens below cost.

On the contrary, aside from low-volume high-end lenses, prices have never been lower. That sales are still falling indicates a deeper problem.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    A lot of it is just plain old brand recognition. For over a decade, Nikon and Canon have been recognized as the pro camera brands by consumers. If Canon really pushed their EOS-M like Sony pushes the NEX, we'd see a big rise in popularity of mirrorless cameras.

7. samanthamed

samanthamed New to Mu-43

Dec 6, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Sam
    For what it's worth, those price changes sound very much like a marketing tactic known as anchoring. These price fluctuations might just be a holiday-time marketing gimmick to lead consumers to think they're getting a good deal on prices when it's really just smoke and mirrors. That's not to say DSLR sales aren't down, though. I also believe they are, in fact, down.

And is it just me, or does it sound like a lot of people are in denial in those Gizmodo article comments?

8. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    Good point.

I'm tempted by the current pricing on 6D and 24-105L (having used both, and I know they are quality). But I just can't bring myself to buy them. I enjoy my OM system much more. And the 6D isn't a huge body..especially without a grip, so it's not just weight. I just don't have the interest.

Now think about people who aren't micro shooters…and are content with iPhone photos, and such. They are far less likely to spring for a dslr

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    They clearly haven't tried a current mirrorless with a current EVF. They like what they have. This is very similar to the I have to use DOS you can't use a mouse etc, a mac is not a real computer etc.

EVFs are here to stay, AF will continue to improve, and the mirror is dead. The DSLR AF is functionally limited by the light level it can get. Increase it and the OVF become dimmer.

I think on chip AF will improve and exceed the performance of DSLR AF, at least in terms of determining focus, driving the lens is a separate issue.

I really like the quote about the only real glass is Canon L glass :biggrin: .

• Like Like x 2
  10. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Yes and no. Depends on your market. Here in Ohio, those who suddenly want to get a "nice" camera immediately think DSLR. I'm often approached by friends and family as to which DSLR to buy. More often than not, I usually recommend the :43: system based on their needs but here for some reason the DSLR wins in this market. I've yet to run into a photography enthusiast while at any of my gigs with a :43: system. And even more frustrating, most underutilize the capabilities of their DSLR's and use them as point and shoot cameras :tongue:

Honestly, as stated above, Nikon and Canon will have a bigger influence on what the US market thinks they should get. No matter how much I love the :43: system, DSLR's are not going away.

11. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I don't want DSLRs to go away…I would like to see them succeed and evolve..to mirror less. But the micro 4/3rds…and mirror less segment can't be ignored by the Big Two forever. I have read comments..time and time again, about how the OM cameras..especially the Pen and the OMD bodies..have reinvigorated their interest in photography. That it's so much lighter to carry, fun to shoot with..and very good IQ. I think this is great.
    I know in my case, I never thought I'd like shooting with an EVF (I started with film cameras) but it's very pleasurable, and I really enjoy the EM1..very much.

• Like Like x 1
  12. samanthamed

samanthamed New to Mu-43

Dec 6, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Sam
    I know quite a few 40-50 something parents who pick up a DSLR for high quality family photos during outings/vacations and use them as point-and-shoots. And this is with full-on Auto (not even Program) with the flash up 24/7 regardless of lighting conditions. They'd be so well-served by an MFT system instead, if only due to the vastly decreased bulk.

Scenarios like that almost make me wish I worked at a camera shop or in the camera department at a big box retailer, just so I could advise these kinds of folks on what would actually suit their needs well and not just push a DSLR on them by default...

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I still think DSLRs have a big price advantage on mirrorless. For example you can buy a D3200 for under $400 off Ebay with a 24mp sensor that's pretty much the same as the one in the NEX-7. You're in the same ballpark price as an E-PM2 with that setup. Not to mention you have a plethora of cheap glass. Plus if Canon/Nikon really want to get serious, they can slap an FF sensor into a smaller entry level body and price it way down.

• Like Like x 2
  14. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is 100% true. Just walk into a Costco. You can buy brand new one gen back units for very little. Crappy lenses but useable, if you are shooting on auto it won't matter anyway.

15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    In the world of imaging technologies, the Japanese and other Asian countries are the early adopters and trend setters. Since the Asians are embracing compact system mirrorless, the rest of the world should eventually too.

16. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    Amazon is selling Canon 6D..for $1415.00 (brand new)…today. I was very tempted…I even clicked..order, but canceled. While no doubt the FF sensor is better in low light and enlargements, if I was really happy with FF..I'd still be with them. If money were no object, sure..I'd buy one. But..choosing between keeping some of my OM stuff and getting 6D..staying with OM.

17. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I bought a 6D today for $1415 from Amazon.

I like shooting with DSLRs a little more than M43 but I enjoy using both but for different purposes. If M43 bodies were FF and as large as a Canon DSLR I'd probably like them a lot more. Right now they're a little too small for comfortable use.

18. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I believe Nikon just did this with the Df.

As long as Canon and Nikon are making DSLRs, there will be DSLRs. It seems like they're going to hold out, though. It may be their undoing. Either they embrace mirror less or watch their market share very slowly dwindle.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm hoping by next year the price really drops, this review has me excited about picking one up:

http://www.samhurdphotography.com/2013/gear-reviews/nikon-df-dslr-retro-styled-camera-real-world-review-compared-to-nikon-d4

20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very interesting ... I did say this two years ago but I don't think DSLR is dying soon . Canon and Nikon has invested so much into manufacturing and marketing and I don't see them suddenly jumping on Mirror-less wagon .Mofe over there are many photographers who would always like traditional DSLRs no matter what Mirrorless breed offers . The lens size for FF will always be a concern and that essentially negates the purpose of Mirrorless DSLRS.
    Let's see .. It's a very important phase for digital photography and it makes us winner in everyway.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1