1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are "coded" batteries/chargers 100% compatible with OEM chargers/batteries? (for OM-D)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Jun 27, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

I'm looking into picking up a charger as well as a few spare batteries for my travels for my OM-D...I've found a "coded" charger/two-battery set for around $70...as far as I can tell, you can't charge non-coded batteries in the OEM charger, nor can you charge OEM batteries in non-coded chargers. Since I'll be mixing and matching batteries and chargers (I'll likely take one non-OEM charger, two OEM batteries and two non-OEM batteries with me), I want to make sure they're 100% compatible.

So...my question: As long as I get "CODED" batteries/chargers, I should be okay to mix and match whatever batteries and chargers (OEM or not) I have, right?

Thanks!
    T

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I think you can charge olympus battery in other brand's charger, but you can't charge other brand's battery in olympus charger.

I'm using Wasabi batteries.

3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure Wasabi batteries are non-coded, though...that's why I'm asking specifically about coded batteries. :)

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Since OEM batteries charge in a non-decoded aftermarket charger, then I don't see why they won't charge in a fulled decoded charger. If you are worried about packing light for your trip, just know that you can take the aftermarket charger and charge all your batteries.

$70 is a rip off IMHO. I have 2 half-decoded batteries that I purchased for 24 bux. it came with its own charger that I can use to recharge my OEM battery as well. Its hald-decoded, so it shows the battery level in the OM-D. As far as I can tell, the camera can't tell the difference between my half-decoded ones and the OEM battery.

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for your reply!

Will *ALL* non-coded chargers charge OEM batteries?

I was under the impression that only coded chargers charged OEM batteries...is that incorrect? (By the way, where I am - Korea - I'm only seeing listings for non-coded and coded batteries/charger, not seeing any half-coded ones).

6. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I recently bought a "chipped" OEM battery and it works similar to the Olympus battery in the Olympus charger.

Capacity also looks similar, maybe a little less ...

I also had a non-chipped from the same OEM manufacturer for 9 months. This one needed a special charger and the capacity was only 50% of the Olympus battery.

7. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Wether they're compatible or not, you can still buy four Wasabi batteries with two chargers for that $70, or just 2+1 for half the cost. Either way, you can toss the OEM stuff in the drawer and forget about it, and still be ahead.

8. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Can I ask what brand that you use?

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, what about OEM batteries in the non-OEM charger?

Not really, since I already have two OEM batteries and from all I've read, they outlast the Wasabis/other non-OEMs (despite the mAh ratings).

But either way, that doesn't help with my question of charging OEM batteries in aftermarket chargers...

10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    They will charge, except that the aftermarket chargers for OMD batteries are designed for 8.4 volts while the Olympus BCN1 is 8.6 volts. Use of a different Li-Ion chemistry is the reason for the difference. The lower voltage costs you 4% in energy. No big deal, that's 8 shots if a battery is good for 200 of them.

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I'be been using a Progo battery for my OM-D EM-5. Works just like the Olumpus battery including charging in the Olympus charger.

12. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I was trying to be helpful by suggesting an alternative to angsting over compatibility. The OMD compatible Wasabi 2xBattery + Charger kit is $24 from Amazon, so you can have four batteries plus charger (and a spare charger) that will be at least 90% as good as OEM, for $48. Or for $72, you could have six batteries and three chargers.

I think that's a valid approach to having a four battery kit, and I'm suggesting it now mostly in case anyone else is reading who might find the idea useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0084FM5JC
    "Note: Batteries are NOT decoded. Your camera will not display the battery's run time and must be charged with the Wasabi Power charger. Charger is fully compatible with the Olympus original battery"

13. LeeC

LeeC New to Mu-43

Feb 7, 2013
    Iowa, USA
    I am a novice here, could someone explain "coded and non-coded and chipped batteries" my brick and mortar camera dealer tossed an extra Olympus battery in the complete OMD package,but I wanted to get one or two extras, so I didn't have to pack a charger for short outings. Thank you!

14. neil Davidson

neil Davidson New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2013
    My recent experience is that their charger works well. I wished I could say the same for the 2 batteries.!

15. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I bought these from the same seller, but back then, they were half-decoded, meaning it came with its own charger since it couldn't be charged in the OEM charger.

I should mentioned, one of the batteries were defective. It would only hold a charge for 20 shots. But the seller sent be a replacement the next day, no questions asked

Full Decode Battery for Olympus OM D E M5 EM5 BLN 1 BLN1 | eBay

16. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have used aftermarket chargers and batteries for years. The batteries often fall short of OEM performance (maybe 80 to 90 percent of capacity) -- but I've never had charging capacity problems.

Now, quality of build could be an issue. You might drop an OEM charger and not have a problem -- but drop the cheapie aftermarket and who knows.

But they are an effective way to have "insurance" of extra chargers and batteries without paying sometimes ridiculous OEM prices.

If you are doing something really critical, and you're a professional working for paying customers -- you might want to go OEM all the way. But I know pros who shoot aftermarket batteries and chargers also -- especially in the field.

General rule, but there are exeptions: OEM chargers charge only OEM batteries; aftermarkets charge everything.

And yes I had an E-M5 and both kinds of batteries and chargers for a year plus.

17. V2SJ

V2SJ New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Codded BLN1 Battery

I recently bought what listed as coded or fully decode BLN-1 battery for my OM-D. The coded or fully decode should work with original charger and report capacity correctly in the camera. The non coded version will need a after market charge and it is no guarantee that aftermarket charge for those battery will support original Olympus battery. The one I got form Amazon was brand "Progo". I have charged it with my original charger and it seem to be fine. I have been using it in my camera for couple of days but have not put it to pace yet. I hope to be able to that this weekend.

Here is the link to where I got mine from.

18. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Same results here. The Progos cost me $14.59 on ebay shipped for two of them. However, they weren't sold as Progo's, just generics. Ebay seller is "hichoco".

I also had an EZOpower purchased off Amazon. Too many bad reviews. Me too. Mine failed after five months.

19. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    How about the aftermarket chargers charging Olympus batteries?

Ideally, I'd like to take my 2 OEM batteries and at least 2 aftermarket batteries and an aftermarket charger with me...(This is for a 3-week long backpacking trip through Switzerland next month, so I'd like to have something where I can trust the quality).

20. V2SJ

V2SJ New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    How many pictures did you get from you Generic Battery?

How many pictures do you get out of your generic battery? The ProGo that I got about a week back will last for about 180 to 200 pictures without flash. Just more than half of what the original get.