1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

ARE ANY PROFESSIONALS USING m4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shutterduster, Jul 8, 2013.

1. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    In a discussion about m4/3 users being insecure one of the posters intimated that no Pro would be using the m4/3 system.

So I was just wondering if you are a Pro photographer is you use m4/3 as your tool of preference by itself or with another system.

What has your experience been.

Is it capable of providing the image quality required for Pro photography.

What is your kit and if you were to add to it what would it be.

Or add any comments you like.

Thanks for your time.
    Dave

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    No. There are none. Unless you use Canon or Nikon you're not allowed in the clubhouse and they won't show you the secret handshake. They found a guy shooting corporate with a Sony once, but he hasn't been seen in a while..........

You can own a Hassleblad as long as you also own a Nikon.

Gordon

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Google a cut 'n' paste of part of your thread title "PROFESSIONALS USING m4/3" leads to some interesting threads around the web. Its been covered quite a number of times on this forum as well, which is why flash's tongue in cheek first post fits so well :D

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How is "pro" defined? Somebody who only does photography for a living?{many have a second job BTW!} Or can it be that photography is part of your job? I work at a church and often have to shoot events as part of my job. I have also done weddings, funerals and other events as a freelance photographer{and videographer}. It isn't my main job but it is part of my job. I have not used m4/3 for everything but I have used it. Last weekend I shot almost 2000 frames through my two E-PLs at a water event we had.

6. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Dave,

I've been shooting professionally for going on 30 years. During this period my choice of "35mm" camera system has been exclusively Nikon (starting with an F3HP and moving through the subsequent pro-film bodies to the first "pro-quality" DSLR -- the D1... up to my current D3 / D800e kit). That said, lugging around a kit comprised of two full-frame bodies and 3-4 massive AFS zooms along with a couple of fast primes for a few decades has literally killed my back...

Anyway, I never thought I could or would allow myself to shoot anything serious with a "point & shoot" camera, that is until a dear friend whose work I admire insisted that I try out his "little" Olympus E-P1. Well, I was surprised at the quality his first generation M-4/3 was capable of, and ended up picking up an E-P2 to fart around with, and took it along with a couple lenses I grabbed on a trip to Munich. While the resulting images were great, they were not up to what a full-frame DSLR was capable of. That changed to a large extent however with the introduction of the Olympus OM-D. While the full-frame DSLR still has superior image quality from a technical perspective, the OM-D is more than adequate for MANY jobs... It's great for shooting on location or street photography where its stealthy size allows one to blend in rather than stick out like an eyesore! That said, here are a few images shot recently -- all with the OM-D:

[​IMG]"1224" height="952" alt="Homeless veteran / NYC"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"1224" height="858" alt="Brooklyn Bridge Locked"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"1224" height="832" alt="Bambino Yawns"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"666" height="936" alt="Columbus Circle Hipster"></a>[/IMG]

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have a look at this . I would ask him for an interview here on our forum ..
    Www.itsallstyletome.com
    Ned , Guilio and few others here are full time Pros.:2thumbs:

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
  9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice shots Wes.

I know most of the guys here aren't pros...ie get paid a regular income for their photography, but I've seen countless images here from the enthusiasts/hobbyists that would be worth a pretty penny if they had a 'name' attached to it. One of my favourite images EVER was taken by a guy on this forum using an old first generation body...and he was kind enough to send me a full res file...pretty soon that image will be hanging on a wall in my house.

Make of it what you will.

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks D:2thumbs:
    His work is pretty amazing and he shoots hot events :2thumbs:

11. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I find it to be a silly question since definitions of 'pro' vary widely and even using a narrow definition will undoubtedly yield a few people using them. For the significant majority of people getting their primary income from photography, m4/3 is simply too far from the best tool for the job. Some primary benefits of the m4/3 system is being small, light, and discreet. Perhaps if you're street shooting or hiking/climbing to extreme locations the small size are advantageous enough, but that's certainly the exception to the rule.

regardless, it doesn't matter, shoot what's best for you given all your personal considerations. for me, that means Nikon FX professionally, and m4/3 for personal work.

12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    This pro does product photography using the E-M5. Before this pro used an Oly E-3.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I used to be a pro, does that count? If I was still shooting news I would use the OM-D for at least 50% of my assignments.

Gary

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm the head photographer for a local model and talent agency. Back when I started using the original E-P1 Digital Pen as a second body to my Olympus DSLRs, we had a certain photographer using a Canon DSLR. I liked her composition and style, but I was always unimpressed with the poor quality of her photos. Then one day the agency head was looking through some of her photos and was ecstatically impressed with the amazing detail, color, richness, and everything of one of her photo batches. I was happy to hear this, and when I looked through the shoot myself I was also very impressed with the drastic difference in quality. Then I realized... this was the day when I had lent her my E-P1 to use for the shoot. :D

So in short, she had all the skills and talents as a photographer, but was being held back by her equipment... the Canon EOS. The first generation Olympus Pen with good Zuiko glass is what allowed her to shine. I believe I lent her the camera with the old Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 from 2003 attached - Olympus' first digital-spec lens that I know of. First generation Pen body with first generation E-System lens. :)

15. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Dave, this has been discussed quite a lot. Of course plenty of pros are using the OMD, why wouldn't they? It's a high performing, fully featured machine with great IQ (better than some of the latest APS-C DSLR bodies) and a full lens lineup. Another key benefit is the size/weight equation which is becoming more attractive.

I use the OMD for at least 95% of my work. I'm a full time portrait photographer and I also photograph animals and wildlife. I'm also a photography educator and I'll be talking more about why I chose the OMD in this month's Olympus magazine (which should be out any day).

But a camera is just a recording device, it can't choose the right lighting, composition, correct exposure, poses, narrative etc nor can it correctly process or retouch your images. I'm afraid that involves study and many years of practise.

16. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    The majority of my fashion & commercial work are shot with the GH2 and GH3. For me, I shoot almost exclusively with studio strobe lights so I can have better control of my lighting and also shoot at base ISO all day long. I rarely shoot completely wide open, so the lack of super-shallow DOF is not deal killer. Plus, I have the 75mm for that.

For me, the lighting, the talent/crew, location, production, and post production are what makes my images great. The camera just takes the photo after 90% of that work is done.

Nowadays, I usually shoot with my GH3 with battery grip on at all times. I usually use the Panny 12-35mm and the Olympus 75mm. I will also use my Panny 20mm and once in a while, the Oly 45mm.

Fotosiamo Fotografie by Joe Gunawan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also shoot products with the GH3 occasionally. Works fine for me =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I shot most of the 2013 line of a handbag company, Junior Drake, using the Panasonic GH3 on wireless tether to Capture One. Client picks the good image right then and there, and she never complains about my non-Canon/non-Nikon camera =D

Even though I have a "smallish" camera (with battery grip), I still have a fulll-on product photography set up with 3 studio lights in softboxes/PLM, a white seamless sweep, and 6 c-stands.

18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    In the UK, the Tax Office identify anyone who earns more than 60% of their living wage from photography as being a "Professional".

I used to work as a pro using many formats up to and including 10x8 but most of my PJ work was on 35, if I was still in Pro photography today I would be shooting Mu43 as the IQ is definately up there and sifficient for 99% of requirements.

Olympus UK have recently taken on a UK based pro photographer (Damian McGillicuddy) as their UK Olympus Ambassador, he runs workshops on lighting etc and does shoot stunning fashion, advertsisng images all using OMD's - he switched from full frame to OMD way before Olympus approached him.

His work and blog can be seen below (look at the showcase):

Blog — Damian McGillicuddy

I suspect there is an ever increasing number of pro's shooting Mu43 for all types of work and when you can get 16Bit Tiffs that are 95mb in size, quality of image is definately sufficient for all uses at a fraction of the weight, size, cost of the 35mm full frame.

There is still the stigma that pros only use full frame but this is slowly being proven not to be the case as more are going smaller/lighter yet still able to deliver the IQ customers want!

19. TDP

TDP Guest

20. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Ned,

Please don't think I'm being argumentative but I find this hard to believe. There are definitely negatives to Canon DSLRs but picture quality most definitely isn't one of them. I owned a 10D and 40D prior to my EM5 and both took excellent quality pics for their times. Now maybe if she was using a body that was a few years old, it wouldn't have stood up to the quality of a modern DSLR but I just can't believe that the quality from an EOS was so bad that it was actually holding back her photography.