Are any of the smaller M43 lenses weather resistant?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jock Elliott, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Ideally, I would like one that is no larger than the 17mm f/1.8.

Cheers, Jock

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Nope, none of the smaller ones are sealed.

3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    There is no small, sealed lens. The options for short FL falls to the Olympus lenses - 7-14, 12-40, 12-50, 12-100, 8mm fisheye - none of which can be called small, or the Panny 12-35 which is probably the smallest.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Of course Fuji has small sealed primes, but no smaller sealed cameras. So you can't really win.

5. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Central California
    Daniel
    And the primes often aren't *that* small.

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Sadly, these are the 3 smallest options in the system for weather-sealed lenses. Unfortunately, none come close to the 17/1.8.

Compact Camera Meter

I really wish there was a small weather-sealed prime in the 17-25mm range, with an f/1.7 or f/2 aperture. It's the only thing I desire from the Fuji ecosystem.

7. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I forgot to mention the new Panny 12-60.

8. Jock Elliott

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Well, here's what I really want: the smallest possible weather-resistant camera with a viewfinder . . . one that is small enough to sling by hip for everyday carry. I have the OMD EM5 and the OMD EM5II, but the 12-50 and 14-150 are both weather-resistant for everyday carry.

Not a single one of the so-called "rugged" cameras has a viewfinder.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Jock

9. ddekadt

Aug 30, 2013
    Central California
    Daniel
    Have you considered the Pentax line? The K-series APS-C DSLRs are very compact for what they are. Pentax has a very similar design aesthetic/principle to Olympus.

10. ddekadt

Aug 30, 2013
    Central California
    Daniel
    (P.S. if you want really serious weather sealing, I would advise you to stick with Olympus or Pentax. Just based on my experience.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jock Elliott

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    I think you might be onto something: Compact Camera Meter

Cheers, Jock

12. ddekadt

Aug 30, 2013
    Central California
    Daniel
    It's been a long time since I used Pentax so I don't know what the current go-to minimal kit would be, but I think you might find something there!

13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Maybe you can still find a Tough TG-870? The newest Tough models seemed to have dropped the viewfinder.

14. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    In mft, the E-M5 and/or G85 with one of the mentioned lenses (12-35, 12-60) will be the smallest.

You could go to something like the Sony RX cameras. Those aren't small either.

15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    For what it's worth, I had a Pentax K-S2 (with the 18-135mm WR lens). I bought it for the weather-sealing, and the fully-articulated screen, and to see what improvements an APS-C sensor supposedly had, and for DSLR AF.

I ended up selling it on. I couldn't get along with the ergonomics; the viewfinder is big by APS-C DSLR standards, but small by modern mirrorless standards; the continuous AF was really no better than on my CDAF M4/3 cameras; the Live View was extremely clunky; the lack of a touchscreen was a bummer operationally; and the image quality was not really a big step up from my GX7. I needed to convince myself to use it instead of my GX7, and when I realized that, it had to go. The weather-sealing was great, though.

Personally I'm thinking that either the GX9 or the E-M5 III will be the holy grail for me, and I'll never need to buy another camera after that. The E-M1 II and GH5 are basically uber-cameras that can do everything I need and much, much more, I just need to wait for that tech to trickle down into smaller, more affordable form factors over the next year or two.

16. Jock Elliott

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Turbofrog,

Thanks for the insight. I think I could be perfectly happy with an OMD EM5 or EM5II with a weather resistant pancake lens, even as large as the 17mm f/1.8.

Maybe we should start a movement to bug Olympus about the need for a small WR prime. (Shades of Arlo Guthrie: "and if a hundred people a day email Olympus crying for a WR prime, they might think it's a movement . . . )

Cheers, Jock

17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The Oly 60 is sealed. Small enough?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Nikon 1 AW1? Ah, no, no EVF either...

19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Fuji XT with a 23mm f2 is probably your best bet, but it's a system switch, and not a cheap camera body: Compact Camera Meter

RX10/II is not small if you only need a short zoom range or a prime, but if you consider it can replace a 12-35/35-100 f2.8 lens combo, it's pretty dang compact.

The RX100 series are not sealed, sadly.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.