1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are any of the G7's built in Japan ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave Reynell, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Would those of you who have already purchased one of the new Panasonic G7's please take a look at the little sticker on the underside of the camera body and advise if any of these have been built in Japan.

You may well ask why I am interested to know this. As a traveller, currently in Europe, I am about to upgrade from a G1 (Built in Japan) which has served me faithfully for six years, to (perhaps) the G7. However, cameras do not carry a worldwide warranty/guarantee and have to be returned to the continent of their purchase for repair should anything fail.

Most of us do not have the sort of consumer protection that folk in the United States have. We cannot simply walk back into a store and hand a used camera back over the counter and walk out with a new one.

For those of us living in far flung places, Made in Japan carries far more weight than Made in China (despite the millions of Apple smartphones that are produced there).

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Really? I've seen native m43 lenses that have been manufactured in Japan, as well as China.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have seen it with Canon. With cheaper lenses, they sometimes start a production run in Japan and then move it to China. Some people were trying to claim that the earliest kit zooms are better since they were the ones done in Japan, but there is nothing concrete to back that up.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sounds more like CYA language.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Definitely. But also probably because some customers might be really annoying about demanding a certain country of origin.

• Funny Funny x 1