Are all Olympus camera USB cables the same?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DiaZN, May 30, 2014.

1. DiaZN

DiaZN New to Mu-43

May 30, 2014
    I lost my Olympus Fe-280 USB cable and I was wondering if all the cords are the same because I found some cheap ones online but I'm not sure if they would fit =/

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    If the cheap cables aren't Olympus, I wouldn't touch them. All you need is one little data failure next time you upgrade the firmware and you have a very expensive paperweight. :frown:
  3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I agree with jnewell, get an Olympus or another high quality cable. I believe that digital cameras all come with a standard cable that has a regular USB port on one end and a Micro USB port on the other. I've used the same cable for my Olympus E-M5 and E-P5 cameras with no problem. If I am wrong I hope some more knowledgeable person will speak up to correct me.
    PS, to be safe you might want to call Olympus Tech Support.
  4. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Not so!
    The connector on the camera side is Olympus proprietary, NOT standard 'Micro USB'. Standard Micro may be found (emong others) on some Nokia phones, on Amazon Kindle reader, etc.

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Thank you Moshe! I guess that proprietary connector explains why my Olympus cables work on both cameras.
  6. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    It's actually a mini USB port, not micro on most other cameras. Mini USB is on many cameras (Nikon, Canon, Sony in the past at least) and some GPS units (Garmin used them in the past at least). Micro is on most current non-Apple cell phones and tablets, Kindle e-Readers, and probably others, but that's what I know from experience.

My Panasonic G3 has a port that looks like micro USB, but is actually smaller. I have a Panasonic ZS series camera that has another proprietary port. It leads to a drawer full of different types of cables.
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I purchased an off-brand replacement Olympus USB cable and it worked fine, but obviously YMMV...
  8. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    you should find the cable to be a common cable used by camera makers. I think nikon uses the same cable (connectors) for some of their models. do a ebay search using the model number given to the cable and you should find a cheap replacement (probably from china) for about $5.
    and no it is not a "micro" or "Mini" usb cable... but something different.
  9. kirschm

kirschm Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2014
    ... at least my PL1, PL2 and PM2 all have the same cable... standard USB on the PC side... and this proprietary part on the Olympus-body side... might well be that all those cables are the same...