Are All Cameras & Lenses Sold At List Now?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Carbonman, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I remember buying (& selling when I worked retail) cameras and lenses at well below MSRP. Now it seems everyone is selling at the same price as the getolympus site pricing. What do you need to do to get a discount now - buy 2 lenses at a time, do thousands of $ in photofinishing through a store or what? Have the margins shrunk by that much?

2. SeanKelleher

SeanKelleher Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Melbourne
    Sean Kelleher
    The entry level lenses can be got here for a discount.
    For example the olympus 40-150mm for $199 (list $350)
    The 75-300 for $499 (list $599)
    The 60mm macro for $499 (list $599)
    From JB HI-FI (or Ted's will match just, at least on the macro)

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You can get deals, but you have to look around. The "Latest Hot Deals" section to the right has cost me a lot of $$$$.

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    "Refurbs" are the new deals. New products transferred into different boxes. It's a bit of a lottery but worth playing the game.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My problem is that I live in Canada. Lenses shipped across the border from US retailers are subject to duties, plus the phony UPS & FedEx 'brokerage fees' that amount to an additional 15% on top of all the other costs.

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    and you don't have a PO box in US? :smile:

7. Yycdave

Yycdave Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    I've found most prices are the same in $CDN or $US so you needn't worry about the cross border stuff unless it's a one-off. Check the refurb prices on the Getolympus.ca site.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You're not supposed to make our northern neighbours jealous of our prices & discounts here. :wink: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Wait until the November/December sales, or act quickly (set up an account in advance) at the olympus store as they try often to clear out refurbished gear at 15 or 20% discount. Use a us postal address with a forwarding service. Last time I paid no additional duties nor taxes on my ep5 refurb that was listed as 'used'.

Often you can also get good deals where olympus offers discounts on lenses with body and you can usually sell the body or lenses if you don't need them.

I'm not so sure where to get panasonic discounts. They usually don't discount heavily until they are at least a year old and the lenses don't get as large a discount as with olympus.

Sometimes you can get great deals in Canada too at Henry's, saneal, or the camerastore who often can price match the is discounts. If b&h has sales they send to canada and ou will know your final price up front, no additional brokerage fees or surprises.

10. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    All of the manufacturers followed Nikon's lead from a couple of years back (thanks Nikon) and implemented unilateral pricing policy or minimum advertised pricing. This either means they cannot advertise a price any lower than a certain amount (including coupons) or they cannot sell below a certain price. The stated reason was to protect the manufacturers' brand and the smaller retailers from the larger retailers who could afford to discount more aggressively.

Personally UPP/MAP pricing has done nothing for me as I rarely pay full retail price on camera gear (which is usually very inflated), so I've cut down on gear purchases and only buy during sales (particularly in December-January). UPP/MAP has also led to the explosion of 'manufacturer refurbished' models, which in many cases I suspect are leftover inventory that are reboxed and sold with a reduced warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Does panasonic have an official refurbished online store, or do they just set a new lower price after a time, like with the gx7 and gm1 now?

12. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    They have a refurb store but it doesn't have much in the M43 dept.

Panasonic used to have very aggressive pricing but it looks like they've gotten the supply/demand issue sorted. Adorama seems to run some creative deals with cash back and gift cards to work around MAP. Greentoe is another option.

13. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Yes, a couple of years ago, when I stated with u4/3, panasonic was offering £50 cash-back on most of their lenses. I snagged a great price on the 20 and 25 - £100 pounds in rebates. I haven't seen anything since.

I might try greentoe in November/December/January as I'm looking to swap some of my u4/3 for the Panasonic lx100.

From what I read they oversold the gh4 by 3x in Europe and the same might happen with the lx100?