Architectural Correction in Software

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
One thing I like to take pictures of are old buildings and that is one of the main reasons I often used a 6x9 field camera so I could swing and tilt those lenses.

When I wanted corrections on 35mm negatives I would tilt the paper holder (and do some artful dodging, not always successful) to straighten up buildings.

Is this natively available in Lightroom or are their any plug-ins for that can make these sorts of corrections? Or do you need another software package to accomplish this such as CS5?

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Ah, I found it under manual lens correction. It was buried deeper than I thought. Thanks

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
Here are a few examples from last week:

Hearst Castle Outdoor Pool
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olympus 9-18@13mm

Hearst Castle Indoor Pool

Olympus 9-18@9mm

Hearst Library / Inner Office

Lumix 20mm

In all 3 cases I adjusted the vertical perspective, corrected barrel distortion, and then cropped slightly. I'm sure I lost a lot of sharpness in the process, but I think the resulting image is easier on the eyes. (I was not going for artiness here, more for snapshot/memories).

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Everything I had read about the lens correction capabilities only talked about barrel distortion and chroma corrections so I did not think to look there for perspective correction.

Since I am just getting back into "serious" photography after 25 years I know I need to get my "eye" back so I went out yesterday on a very bright sunny day to shoot white churches - figuring I wanted to get familiar with my new GF1 and Lightroom.

So this is my processed image - with about 90% perspective correction and the yellow filter preset. I plan on working this image (and the other dozen shots of the same church) over the next couple of weeks every which way in color and B&W to get used to Lightroom. This particular composition needs work - I plan on going back later when I get a nice prime and hopefully will remember to bring my tripod.

Original

Processed

@arpoador - very nice! Your compositions are excellent. It is going to take me years to get up to that level. If ever.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom