1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Architechture @ The Getty Museum

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dave92029, Dec 10, 2011.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Earlier this week me and some friends took a road trip to The Getty Museum in LA.

• Like Like x 5
  2. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Very nice. I left LA in 1997. Never got to see this. I used to drive by it every day on Sepulveda while they were building it out. Lived in Sherman Oaks and worked in West LA / Brentwood...

If and when I am in LA ever again, this will be a must see.

I love # 2 (left to right by row). The light in the last one is very beautiful. Nice set. Camera? lens?

Do not be afraid to get up close on architecture and take detail. Fill the frame and drill in. This is not a criticism. I learned this forcing myself to shoot architecture with a 28mm on ASP-C, and was very pleased with the results.

Kind regards,

woof!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice series and good use of angles and perspective. I quite like the reflection shot and the one with the umbrellas. I'm guessing these were taken with one of the UWA zooms?

• Like Like x 1
  4. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    E-PL2 w/ 9-18mm

I received the 9-18mm a few days before our Road Trip to the Getty, so this was the first real time using it. I am very pleased with the results.

I used the 20mm F1.7 inside and that lens also produced very pleasing results. This was a fun trip. I use to live off of Montana Ave., just south of the Getty so this was somewhat familiar territory.

The scale of The Getty is Huge! The 9-18mm allowed me to capture and convey some of the size and beauty of the architecture. In my opinion getting up close, and focusing on some detail, just would not in my opinion capture the essence of the buildings and the materials used. The architect used smooth and textured building materials that reflect the light differently and that is what I was trying to capture.

Inside, I got up close and captured the details, but the exterior is about the size and the shapes in my opinion.

Image #2 is also my favorite. I got lucky. :biggrin:

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I am sorry. Really. You succeeded extremely well in capturing the size and shapes. I meant detail in addition to, not instead, of what you captured.

Please accept my humble apology. It was poorly communicated enthusiasm. That said, I would love to see the interior shots.

Regards,

woof

6. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Woof,

No apology required. I don't disagree with you comment, I was just trying to explain that the specific circumstances of this shoot required me to go wide.

I appreciate, and value your comment. Thanks for caring enough to make the suggestion.

Dave