1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Archaeological site - Aerial photos

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Danny_SWE, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Like i stated the other day I did a small photo job with aerial photos over an archaeological site. Mounted the OM-D on an “ordinary” radio-controlled helicopter made for flying advanced 3D. Far from optimum rig but worked quite well anyway.

The site is on an island called Loholmen in southwest of Sweden (close to Alingsås). To get to the small island which is like a hill you had to go by boat. (info site in swedish)

It has been a small noble castle there with windmill, other small house and wooden palisade with some towers around, it was around the 14th century. The project has been ongoing for some days every three year now. They haven't found so much objects besides building materials but last day now they found something that reminded of a shield. The history surrounding this is more interesting, it has been a strategic important place for boat travelers.

Photos was captured with the Olympus E-M5 on a small tripod striped to the side of the helicopter without canopy. I put a battery bank in the tail for getting the center of gravity correct. The remote shutter release didn't work because of transmitter interfering I guess so I put it on time-lapse mode and took photo every two seconds. The lens used was the Samyang 7.5/3.5 fisheye because of the tight vegetation there and not much space to aim my 14/2.5 wide lens without first person view-link.

Despite some troubles it went quite OK and I got some great photos. Tried getting some overviews and group photos. One guy there had a Fuji 3D camera where I converted some shots to anaglyph 3D for viewing with “regular” red/green glasses.

9201224136_c280822dc2_o.
    TDR photorigged front by Zarako, on Flickr

9198446141_1506b33561_o.
    TDR photorigged ready by Zarako, on Flickr

9201223568_2e834037d3_o.
    TDR photorigged collage by Zarako, on Flickr

9201253166_80be3181a4_o.
    Loholmen 130702 overview by Zarako, on Flickr

9198474485_fe7821a85e_o.
    Loholmen 130702 digging by Zarako, on Flickr

9201254348_bb4229e9d8_o.
    Loholmen 130702 group by Zarako, on Flickr

9201226672_a988fc0b8f_o.
    TDR photorigged 3D anaglyph detail by Zarako, on Flickr

9201227572_030559eb31_o.
    TDR photorigged 3D anaglyph flying by Zarako, on Flickr

9198449611_1899cd2165_o.
    TDR photorigged 3D anaglyph by Zarako, on Flickr

Some ordinary ground photos, first with fisheye and the other with the 14mm:

jr8twn.

2vlnmhd.

Just for information, a much better rig for taking aerial photos is a multi-rotor helicopter like my old lost one below:

6zq0pt.

2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    The first overview shot is great, as it your final shot at ground level. This one would look interesting cropped up a little on the gentleman with the GPS and cup of something perhaps? Did you try de-fishing the group aerial? Thanks for a very interesting read!

It looks like a very busy site! Did you feel much fear putting the OMD up there on a model?

3. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Nice Rig!

4. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Thanks for comments and input! Could try cropping that photo a little, too much detail in one pic maybe. The group aerial is actually defished :) but I have better group photos that I sent to them. Just that they were not so interesting to put up on FlickR :)

No I wasn't worried. I trust that machine and btw it cost like twice as much as the camera so I was more worried of the machine than the camera :) (I had that security rope just in case it would have fallen of. Then I would have noticed and landed secure)

Thanks. Really surprised of how well it worked. It flew actually more stable with that 1kg more payload :)

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    HOLY SMOKES!
    That there is whatcha' call a "contraption" :2thumbs::thumbup:

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Man oh man! Way cool Danny! And that is BIG chopper! I love this!

7. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    Wow ..
    Some people get all the good jobs !
    and does "a multi-rotor helicopter like my old lost one" mean it crashed or flew away ?

8. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    it crashed in a lake :) should have had a one with GPS so it could have flown back or something