1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Arca-Swiss QR adapter for E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Drmarkf, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Drmarkf

Drmarkf Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 26, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    Hi.
    Has anyone please got any experience of using an Arca-Swiss compatible quick release tripod plate with an E-PL2?
    Kirk make one that may be compatible (the PZ-130) but I can't find that from a UK or European supplier, and I think the Wimberley P-5 universal plate may fit, but it looks like it'll cover the battery/card door.
    Any experience and recommendations will be most welcome

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Is the tripod thread on E-PL2 offset from the lens axis as with the E-P1/2 ?

The Wimberley fits ALL my cameras large (2 1/4") and small but it is fairly wide at 76mm. It will cover your battery door, but it is a good investment being as universal as can be: you'll change your camera before it...

Hejnar is an alternative source on eBay.

3. jeanba3000

jeanba3000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Paris, France
    I use Arca Swiss SlideFix plate on my Arca P0 head :)

The tripod thread is offset from the lens axis, but with the slideFix system and a longer plate, one could align the lens on the center of the panoramic rotation.

I think Robert White in UK is selling Arca gear.

4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Is the Slidefix based on the old Arca vise, or is it their recent new dovetail, made to be not... "Arca compatible" ?

5. jeanba3000

jeanba3000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Paris, France
    It's new ones, but I think « old style » Arca plates provide the same sliding ability.

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I've used the PZ-130 on a GF1, E-p1 and E-pl1, worked perfectly on each - it is ideal, as it is smaller than the width of the camera, and the plate has 3 screw slide slots so that it can be appropriately offset to be able to use the battery compartment without removing the plate.

Have you tried contacting Kirk Photo directly? They do ship internationally - if it is cost prohibitive, send me a PM and I'd be willing to sell you mine and re-purchase one for myself (should only run about $45 USD).

Here are some shots:

7. Benro PU40

Is a smaller Arca-Swiss style qr plate that does not interfere with the GF1/ G2 battery/sd compartment hatch or larger diameter lens. Not sure about the fit on the Oly. PU-40 is 38 x 38 x 10mm. The plate is anodized aluminum with a stainless steel screw that has a slot & hex hole for tightening. Available in the USA from Adorama for $27 + free shipping. A US penny fits the slot. No need to worry about needing the allens wrench for tightening or removal.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That benro plate is decent (nice that the dovetail is on all sides), but much larger than the Kirk, which measures 25mmX32.5mm. The screw slot is also fixed, meaning the plate will be hanging out from both sides, especially on any of the smaller cameras (i.e. not a G or GH series). The Kirk also has a small lip which prevents rotation.

I also recall that while I could use the center slot with the Kirk plate on my GF1, I had to use one of the side slots on the e-pl1 in order to be able to use the battery compartment.

9. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Looks like the Kirk is the one to get for my PL-2.

Anyone using anything for an L bracket on the Oly? I'm thinking about having one made at my local aluminum fabricators. I saw a site DIY L-Plate / L-Bracket | DIYPhotography.net that made one.

Lynn

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Leave it to a Pentax user to make an L plate for themselves, haha. I piecemealed my L bracket together as well! Used 2 plates and a 90 degree wedge (all from a couple sellers on ebay). The first two are the early version, after that is the current iteration with a second panning base - ideally it is suited for a bigger combo (like K-5 and sigma 120-400mm!). This setup gives a very sturdy grip off-camera as well. Even though these are pretty large plates, you could easily tailor it specifically to an m4/3 camera - you can find plates at various lengths on ebay to make a pretty tight fit.

11. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    You're right the Kirk seems ok.

L bracket? Yes, I have the one from RRS fitting the E-P1/2. One reason I stick to these bodies, at least for stitched panoramas.