1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Arca style L-plates?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Tangent, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Tangent

Tangent New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker here, and after a fruitless search through the forums, I figured i'd post.

Is anybody else here having a hard time finding an L-plate for either the GF2/GX1 or any other recent Panasonic camera? I've been in contact with both Kirk and RRS, but they tell me that due to low demand they don't have any plans to make one.

As a long time Nikon now turned Panasonic user, I feel like these little cameras are under appreciated. They really are capable of great images if they have the right support. :smile:

What's funny is that they make l-plates for the Nikon 1, but they seem to have stopped supporting the recent Panasonic cameras. I find it hard to believe that there are more requests for the 1 system than for the M43 crowd?

If there are others here that would like L-Plates for their beloved Panny's I ask that we band together and request them! We need to make our voices heard!

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Was there ever an L-plate created for the Panasonic cameras (edit: see RRS has ones for the GH series and the e-p3)? I know there has been at least one or two designed for the E-p1/2 cameras, but I think even that road was short and ended with those models.

In the end it might just come down to size - the GF2/GX1 are almost as thin (or maybe slightly thinner) than the arca design - making a plate that would run the whole surface just doesn't seem practical - there are some generic ones out there, but those would probably look like overkill.

I have ended up using the Kirk pz-130 plate on the m4/3 cameras I've owned. It has three slotted holes for the screw-mount, so that the plate can be offset to enable use of the battery compartment (usually, worked on GF1, all pens, the door wouldn't fully open on the G3, only camera that gave me trouble).

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Kirk made a specific one for the GF1.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I've no doubt there will be at least a one time run of L plates for the Gx1 - it is all about the market that a particular camera model caters to. It seems to me that the highest grade micro 4/3 bodies get treated similar to my Pentax cameras when it comes to accessories - you might get some, and if so, it'll be a one-time run of the product and then the line is back to churning out CaNikon accessories.

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I feel the same way about Oly...

My solution? Hejnar photo...

Here is the basic L-Plate assembly...

Arca Swiss type Panorama set. For Markins Kirk etc | eBay

Then add a quick release clamp:

Arca swiss type clamp with level 4 kirk wimberley acratech markins benro rrs | eBay

And finally, a right sized plate for the camera:

1" P&S camera plate 4 Markins arca swiss wimberley acratech foba benro kirk | eBay

Now, I know that is mighty expensive. You can cut a fair amount of cost by using this clamp instead:

FotoProTripod Quick Release Clamp ARCA Fit | eBay

Quality is good on this latter piece. The whole kit comes out close to the cost of a dedicated plate.

I have this setup with the cheaper clamp. I can photograph it together with some commentary on add ons for this if anyone is interested. And yes, while it is expensive and I agree that a dedicated L-Plate is then way to go (I have a Kirk on my K-5), in a pinch this setup works really, really well and is completely generic and usable for ANY camera, grip/no grip, whatever. It also is the start of a system that can and does become a gimbal with the simple addition of a panning base...

Worth thinking about... hope this helps someone.

woof!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I like Hejnar too, can't find that right angle piece by itself anywhere else I don't think. I'd piece it together myself though, you could definitely make it more form fitting than that top ebay listing there...I'll bet if you gave Hejnar the measurements he would have the right plates to make a nice compact setup.

I've done the same thing on my own in various configurations using multiple different plates (a couple from Hejnar and some other generics from ebay), here are a couple examples:

This setup is pretty large, I added a feisol panning base to the mount and it could be used for a make-shift gimbal for telephoto lenses as well:

PXK53223.

Here is a somewhat more compact setup with a shorter plate on the camera side:

P8160047.JPG

7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I have used the Hejna product. It is decent.

8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Right... I measured my E-PL2 in the current setup, and a 5" plate (bottom) combined with a 4" plate (side) would work very, very nicely. You just need the 90 degree piece.

5" rail kirk markins wimnerley foba acratech arca swiss rrs wimberley benro | eBay

4.0 Camera/Lens QR Arca Swiss type plate | eBay

90 degree connector for rail from Hejnar etc | eBay

You'd need a total of three captive screws, though having a fourth around would be useful. Other than that, the same clamps and plates as previously stated and off you go.

I guess I suggested the longer simply because that it what I am used to and because again, I can use them for literally anything I own. But for a compact Mu43 system, from scratch, I'd be looking at the shorter rails for sure and trying to get Hejnar to put together a little package for me based on the other panoramic offering.

To the OP, wish I could help with Panasonic, but perhaps this will help you extrapolate.

woof!

9. ascherjim

ascherjim Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    The Panosaurus pan head provides me, as its basic function, all the L-bracket capacity I find I need, and at about $100 is quite economically priced for service as a combination pan head and L bracket. I have mine mounted on a quick-release plate.

http://gregwired.com/pano/Pano.htm

10. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Arca Plate

I read in some mag that Arca themselves had made such a plate, although with their prices, they may Hasselblad look cheap.

11. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Arca plate

should have read they make Hasselblad look cheap.