1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Arca L Plate for GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Hypilein, May 23, 2016.

1. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Does anyone know of a well-fitting L-Plate with Arca-swiss mount for the GX7. I know about the RRS one, but find about 100€ to be excessive. I'm looking for suggestions of any other plates that either have been made to fit (doubt there are any other than RRS) or of generic ones that have proven to fit well. I am especially concerned about the flap for the remote release being behind the L part of the mount.

Thank you!

2. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    you mean like this? A generic chinese one made to fit and clear the battery hatch.

Attached Files:

3. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Yes, like that. I don't actually care that much about the battery compartment. It is convenient but my battery usually lasts long enough. It looks like you can open the compartment for the remote shutter plug. Can flip out the screen?

4. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    The side is difficult to open, but I hardly use it. The screen can flip out, the corner is protected by the brace. I cut a little aluminium out from the inside of that corner to make grabbing the screen easier.

5. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Any link to that?

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    They are a dime-a-dozen from many Chinese manufacturers on eBay (well not quite, but $10/each, which is close in the world in of L-brackets!)

Universal QR Quick Release L Plate Bracket For Arca Swiss RSS Manfrotto Ballhead

Just search for Universal L bracket if that one's dead.

There's another company that does much higher-quality looking ones that are custom fitted to the cameras, but they don't seem to have one for the GX7. I'm curious to know if the one for the A6000 could be adapted to the GX7 with a little bit of cutting and filing.

Quick Release QR Vertical L Plate Bracket for Sony A6000 Camera Arca Swiss Fit

EDIT: I just found the last one on Ali Express for $13.60 USD. I figured I'll buy it, and if it works, great, if not, no big deal. I'll let you know in 6 weeks or so when it arrives?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    Your first link is the one I got. No big investment, no problem putting the grinder into it. ;-)
    The second one, made for a Sony, probably won't fit. it's got sides surrounding the Sony baseplate.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, it will definitely need some modification (i.e. some persuading with an angle grinder), but the reason I want to try it is that hopefully I can keep at least the front edge of the grip area to give a bit more depth to the GX7 there, and also the vertical L-plate attaches with (I'm told) a single 1/4-20 screw rather a pair of smaller screws, so this way I can screw in my little tripod ring screw to use it with a sling strap that I made, while allowing the camera to sit flat on a table with the screw attached.

A little bit of work, but still, for $13 I figure it's worth a try to improve the ergonomics a bit. I'm certainly not opposed to hacking my camera accessories.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have dealt with this issue. Let me tell you where I ended up:

I have mounted plain square Arca plates on both my GX7 and my GX8. Desmond DP-505 though there are many others. Since I happen to have a milling machine, I skimmed 0.020" or so off the plates to create a slight shelf on one edge. This matches the edge of each camera (spacing is different) and keeps the plate from turning if the screw is not really tight. It is not necessary however.

Then I took one of the generic "L" brackets (Desmond DAL-1) and attached a Chinese clamp (Adjustable Lever Clamp Adapter f Arca Camera Tripod Ballhead Quick Release Plate) to it. This is a fairly expensive (by Chinese standards) clamp with an adjustable throat and a lever lock that latches closed. If you are satisfied with a screw-type clamp you can get by much cheaper. The clamp was bigger than I really wanted so I milled some material off both sides but again this is not really necessary. You can find a screw-type clamp that is smaller than the lever one I used.

The result is that I have an "L" bracket that can be used on both cameras and I do not have to keep it installed if I am not using it. The cost is a little more bulk and weight. If you'd care to spend $230 you can get the same thing from Acratech (Universal L Bracket) I'm sure it is beautiful as their stuff always is.

Sorry no pix. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow and everything is already packed up tightly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Would be very interesting to see some photos of your set-up, when the time allows, Oldracer. :)

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. Sorry we are all packed up and will be gone for a month. But if you look at the Acratech product you really have the whole story. Mine is not as neat because there is bare unanodized aluminum where I have cut in various places but functionally it is the same. The plates look like any Arca plate with a small lip on the front edge. Nothing new there either.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sorry, forgot to deal with that. On the GX7 (two that I have had anyway) the edge of the LCD screen hangs down a few 0.001"s below the bottom of the camera body. The result of this is when you have a plate screwed tight to the camera body bottom and it extends (like most of them do) under the edge of the LCD, the LCD is immobilized. Brilliant design, eh? On my plates I have made a milling cut 0.010" deep under the LCD edge to create some clearance.

While we are on the subject of GX7 design brilliance, in doing some shutter shock testing I discovered that the block of metal containing the 1/4"-20 tripod screw socket is not well anchored to the camera's internal frame. Worse, it stands a few 0.001"s below the bottom of the camera body. This means that when you tighten the tripod screw the face of the tripod (or the plate) rests firmly only against that metal block and the camera can wave around a bit. So my other fix is to cut a round hollow around the screw hole in my plates. The screw then clamps the plate against the whole camera body and the metal block hangs free into the hollow.

Here is a cell phone picture of a plate with those two cuts. I shone a small flashlight on it to make shadows on the edges of the cuts. (On this plate I locate the camera front against a couple of screw head. Not as nice a making a lip.)
    upload_2016-5-25_20-8-45.

Sorry to give you guys this info because I know that few will have the machine tools necessary to deal with these design stupidities. But there you are.

• Informative Informative x 1