Arachnophobia!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Rudi, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Well, it had to happen sooner or later. This girl just crawled over my shoulder, as I was surfing the Web! I think she just wanted to check her email. :wink: To make the experience special, it was over my bare shoulder! :eek:

My apologies for the poor video quality, but it's the middle of the night and I've put her inside a thick drinking glass (that was close-by and handy) so I could throw her outside. The thick glass really ruins the image quality, but I think you will still get to see enough. :biggrin: She is missing her left feeler, and is cleaning (I think) her right one in the first video.

This was taken with the 7D and 100mm Macro (that just happened to be attached at the time) straight after I caught her:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQdxmKPD3o]YouTube - huntsman spider[/ame]

And this was a few minutes later, with the E-PL1 and 20mm prime, to give you a sense of scale - that is a software CD under the glass, and her legs span the CD when she stretches out:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYuKNulbcWY]YouTube - huntsman spider #2[/ame]

EDIT: I was informed that both spiders (in the video and photos below) are mature males. My first video shows him "grooming his secondary sexual organs (the embolus at the tip of the pedipalp), usually typical after successful copulation". So he was just coming over to gloat! :biggrin:

Of course, it also means that there is a larger female around here somewhere. And, apparently, she is very popular. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Ohhh, that's a big one, is it one of your countries nasty ones?

Barrie

3. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Nope. The Huntsman is harmless, although you really wake up when one is crawling over your shoulder! LOL. They say that their bite is painful. Not dangerous though. And I dunno what you'd have to do to get bitten, they are not aggressive. I guess if you accidentally mauled him somehow, he'd bite.

Here is another one I caught a few days ago. I called that one Laxative (for the obvious reasons :smile:). Found him in the toilet. Laxative is by no means the largest Huntsman spider that I've ever seen, that was about twice the size, but he still gets your attention. Huntsman spiders are usually quite still, but Laxative was being quite unpredictable tonight, and I really didn't want him to interfere with anyone's bowel movements, so I caught him and released him into the wild (one of these falls on your head, it's got quite an explosive laxative effect, let me tell you! :biggrin: ). But before I did, I snapped some pics.

Excuse the thick and dirty drinking glass, it's one I've been using all day, it's not the most crystal clear (and definitely not optically flat :wink: ). Here is Laxative, and that is an Olympus E-PL1 software CD under the glass:

[​IMG]

As you can see, Laxative is not the biggest Huntsman spider that I've ever seen, but still capable of expediting your bowel movements:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spiders don't need lipstick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, my work here is done! Good night! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  4. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Nice shots!! Scary though! :frown:

5. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010

rudi, from seeing your pictures around this forum, you have dog, cat, fish, and now spider? what else that we haven't seen lol

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Nice set of fangs - I can see why it would hurt.

7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Makes me glad that I live where "big" spiders are maybe 2" if they stretch their legs out. I'd freak out if one of those crawled over my shoulder, but we'd have to move if my wife saw it in the same room as her.