Aquarium

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Taken at my dad's house in July 24-26 with E-M1 II + 12-100mm F4. ISO 3200 for all pictures. I am not fish expert, so feel free to correct me if I identify any fish incorrectly.

p3124094711-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gourami 1

p3124094222-6.jpg

Goldfish 1

p3124094669-6.jpg

Gourami 2

p3124094530-6.jpg

Cichlid 1

p3124094724-6.jpg

Catfish 1

p3124097046-6.jpg

Catfish 2

p3124097722-6.jpg

Cichlid 2

p3124098628-6.jpg

Cichlid 3

p3124106079-6.jpg

Cichlid 4

p3124098248-6.jpg

Gourami 3

p3124099135-6.jpg

Catfish 3

p3124099762-6.jpg

Catfish 4

p3124100793-6.jpg

Cichlid 5

p3124102325-6.jpg

Gourami 4

p3124102511-6.jpg

Goldfish 2

p3124103711-6.jpg

Goldfish 3

p3124104072-6.jpg

Catfish 5

p3124104765-6.jpg

Goldfish 4

p3124105470-6.jpg

Goldfish 5

p3124105647-6.jpg

Tetra 1​

Zenfolio strips EXIF from resized versions it creates so if you want to see the full EXIF, you can do so on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hidingdiscovery/albums/72157719825196883

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Member bidkev, used to be active here, best fish photographer in the world. Amazingly good. I’ve been keeping fish for over 50 years now. His photos, best I ever seen. Background and lighting, he is expert.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, the name sounded familiar, but I don't remember seeing any photos, especially of fish. Looking at his fish photos on Flickr now, makes me wish I had seen them before I tried doing these ones, maybe get more ideas.

I don't remember 100% but I think I just used the lighting of the tank, and maybe I even turned off the lights in the rest of the living room to reduce reflections. Reflections were a big problem, my camera, my hands had to be as dark as possible. Some photos still got ruined by reflections, or I had to get rid of reflections in Capture One. Even while posting this thread I noticed reflection in a photo that I had to go back and fix and reupload.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Thanks for the compliment @Bushboy.

Haven't been as mobile as I used to be which is why I've been AWOL and I have only just got out of hospital after removal of prostate stones.

The fish I have at my smugmug site are all fish that I have kept and the New World Cichlids were my breeding stock. We're not allowed to import here in Oz and the only way to keep species "in market" is to breed them.

A few hints. Off camera (A)TTL flash triggered remotely for the best results with the flash sat on the tank glass covers pointing downwards and wait for the subject to swim under the flash. I had over 50 tanks in my north facing garage where temps often rose to high 30's so it was definitley a labour of love trying to photogrpah them. Clear plastic lids degrade the image too much so if you have plastic, get a piece of glass to fit. Immaculate house cleaning, especially with large cichlids. Vacuum the gravel a few hrs before and clean all water spots off tank lids and front glass. Suspend dark cloth or previously dark paint back glass. Althought the latter is not essential it does tend to isolate the fish from the background. Turn off aeration/circulation as this will stir any sediment that you fail to notice at the time of shooting and is only seen at life size viewing resulting in painstaking hrs cloning out. Sometimes, if you're lucky, increasing contrast in PP will hide some of them. Most of my shots wer taken at 250sec f/16 the aperture being essential to get the full length of the fish in focus if he's nose on to glass. I was on Canon back then using the 100 macro for the shots.

Fish are my best sellers on Alamy and RedBubble

There's more shots at my SmugMug than there is at flickr if you're interested but the later shots page 4 onwards are poor quality due to having lost the originals and having to retrieve the crap ones from Photobucket: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/Tropical-Fish-2/i-VdR9kmC

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Appreciate it mate. That’s gold info about the remote flash and vacuum job, etc. I’m gonna give that a crack when I get my big tank set back up. Just finishing up building a new home.
Hope your on the mend, I knew something was up. They is beautiful chichlids. I kept those earthmovers for a few years. Wicked fish.
All the best.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
just got out of hospital after removal of prostate stones
I have never heard of that. Sounds rather painful. Hopefully all is well now and you can soon get back to the tanks. I have several aquariums although I do not specialize in anything. But they are both a great source of fun as well as sometime being a great source of frustration.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom