Aquarium RAW Photos Help - Appear in Lightroom different

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Hi all,

So I went to the aquarium for the first time in many years this weekend and took the camera along.

I've just pulled the photos into Lightroom and when they load the blue of the water seems to disappear. You can see from the thumbnails below the photos are very blue, but when the image loads it's almost a gradual filter of white to blue.

Shot RAW, White Balance is set to "as shot". I wonder if it is just how Lightroom is processing the image preview?

Any thoughts on how to get them back to how they were shot?

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 17.17.57.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Hi, the white balance for aquarium shots can be tricky as the color temperature can be between 10000-20000K. Try raising the white balance to see if you fix the images. Here are a couple of images I shot at Monterey bay aquarium a while ago when I had to really move the Auto-WB to get them to look right.
Polyp.jpg

Purple Striped Jelly.jpg

Moon Jelly Photobombed.jpg

Here is a useful article: Aquarium Photography Guide: Part III White Balance Headache - Reefs.com

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I believe what you first see when loading up Lightroom is the jpg preview from the camera. The raw loads itself afterwards.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
It's not so much white balance as the colour profile used for conversion. RAW converters generally do not give the same output as in-camera algorithms. You are initially seeing the embedded JPEG preview as generated by the camera. You have no hope of getting that output in LR exactly. You can make changes to get closer, but it won't be the same. That is the price of working with RAWs.

Try switching the conversation profile to Camera Vivid or something, you might find it looks a bit closer than the bland Adobe Standard. I default to Camera Natural.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Hi all,

So I went to the aquarium for the first time in many years this weekend and took the camera along.

I've just pulled the photos into Lightroom and when they load the blue of the water seems to disappear. You can see from the thumbnails below the photos are very blue, but when the image loads it's almost a gradual filter of white to blue.

Shot RAW, White Balance is set to "as shot". I wonder if it is just how Lightroom is processing the image preview?

View attachment 623133
You seem to have the same kind of gradation in both the previews and the processed RAW, so maybe you can just lower exposure or try a curve?

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Thanks all for your replies. Makes sense, JPEG preview then RAW loads. Ill try camera profiles and WB etc and see how I get on.

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
So I edited a few photos, pretty happy with how they came out first the time attempt at doing Aquarium shot.

carmel-2018-17.jpg
carmel-2018-21.jpg
carmel-2018-25.jpg
carmel-2018-27.jpg
carmel-2018-29.jpg
carmel-2018-33.jpg
carmel-2018-26 2.jpg

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi all,

View attachment 623133

To me, this doesn't look like a white balance issue at all. It looks more like an exposure and/or curves difference. The sides of the fish seems to show much more detail in the large Lr image that the do in the thumbnails. An overall exposure shift would account for this and for the lighter blues "washing out" to near white.

Latest threads

Top Bottom