1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aputure Trigmaster Plus - how does it work on OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tapper, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I've been looking for a wireless release. Disappointed that the simple, cheap RM1 won't work on OMD. All I want is to be able to stand back with my wife and trigger a shot. :-/

I read the Aputure Trigmaster Plus is good for OMD. See here:

Amazon.com: Aputure Trigmaster Plus, 2.4GHz Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Olympus E-400, E-410, E-420, E-450, E-510, E-520, E-620, SP-57DUZ, SP-560EZ, SP-550EZ, SP-510EZ, PEN E-PL1s, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-P2, E-P3, E-M, OM-D E-

But I don't understand how it works. It says it's both a receiver and transceiver. How does it trigger the shutter? Or do I need to buy two of them? Confused...

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    You might want to look at the Trigger Trap if you have an iPhone.

3. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Android. Note II, love it.

As for wireless remote release, would like to find something simple and inexpensive (i.e. ~$30). Just want to trigger the shutter. Nothing fancy. Again, very surprised and disappointed that this facility was not built-in on the EM5. At this camera's price level I would expect it. It's ridiculous that Olympus only offers an old-fashioned wired shutter release for a camera in 2012/2013. Meh.

4. TDP

TDP Guest

Tapper - you need the two part kit. One is the transmitter, the other the receiver. For flash operation, you mount the transmitter on your hot shoe and the receiver on the flash unit. For wireless release, you use a camera specific cable to attach the receiver to the remote port then you merely push the button on the transmitter to release the shutter.

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The Trigmaster Plus is a transceiver. Each one can be EITHER a transmitter OR a receiver. I use them with both my E-M5 and E-PL5. I also use them velcro-ed to my mono lights when shooting location stuff where I need lights.

It uses a dedicated cable (you have to order the Olympus version) which also works with E-Px series cameras for the most part (at least the newer ones).

It is NOT TTL for flash work.

It works GREAT and has a fantastic range. Over 100 meters (300+ feet).

However, the original Trigmaster Plus has a "fatal flaw" when used with flash units mounted on it -- but which can be fixed easily. It's a weakness in the case that causes it to hop channels when you have a heavy flash because the case flexes enough to activate the channel button.

I have 4 Trigmaster Plus units I bought used for a song, did the fix on them, and I LOVE them. The new Trigmaster Plus II doesn't have any of the problems of the first version in terms of the case.

They are a solid alternative that don't let me down.

I used the triggers just for "remote release" on my entire shoot in Lonaconing at an old silk mill recently.

Update: Here's the link to an article about fixing the Trigmaster Plus problem. People sell them cheap thinking they are getting over on you, but they are easy to fix. I used an old credit card for the plastic stock the article talks about.

6. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Remotes

I have this wireless trigger, and the thing that I like about it is that it does fire the trigger and nothing fancy to worry about. The other thing that I like about it is that it will fire any camera, you just have to replace the short cable that is configured for what ever camera you are using and it only cost about $25. You can have two different systems and one remote. Each of those remotes of this type comes with a trigger, receiver and a cable for your system and you can purchase more of those cables for different systems.
    Amazon.com: RainbowImaging 100 Meter 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Olympus E-P2, E-P1, E620, E600, E520, E510, E450, E420, E410, SP-590 UZ, SP-570 UZ, SP-565 UZ, SP-560 UZ, SP-550 UZ, SP-510 UZ, replaces Olympus RM-UC1: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Studiohut Remote Control Shutter Cable compatible with Olympus RM-UC1: Camera & Photo

7. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks TDP.

So if I ordered this Trigmaster Plus: http://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Trigm...=1363398080&sr=1-3&keywords=trigmaster+plus+2

What else would I need exactly? Can you/someone give me Amazon links for the products I would need? This stuff is very new to me.

8. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Those comes in pairs, one is a receiver and the other is a transceiver. You need to purchase a package that has both. What you have there is so you can add a second flash. This one allows you to use your flash on top of your camera with the remote still on the camera. This is the one that you need to purchase to start off with. Amazon.com: Aputure 2.4Ghz Trigmaster Kit (One Transmitter + 2 Receivers) Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Olympus E-400, E-410, E-420, E-450, E-510, E-520, E-620, SP-57DUZ, SP-560EZ, SP-550EZ, SP-510EZ, PEN E-PL1s, E-PL2, E

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You ordered two? bh photo video has a cable for another brand that worked. I got one there as a spare let me see if they are still available. They were inexpensive (about $15) and gold plated. Nice cables.

Okay, here is the link to BH: Vello Free Wave Olympus Trigger Cable

And I got TWO of them for $15, lol -- cheap but very well made and it works with the E-M5 and the other cameras listed.

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    NOT SO. Each one is a transmitter and a receiver. There's a switch on them. Furthermore, you can use one on the camera as a "transceiver" to both trigger the camera, then repeat the signal to trigger the flash. There are no separate receiver and transmitter with the Trigmaster Plus.

They are sold in singles usually, NOT in pairs. You have to buy two unless the kit says two are included.

11. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Yes, those cables are cheap. I purchased a after market cable from my local dealer for a whopping $7.95.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    If you buy one, you have to be with in a few feet of your camera, you have to buy two, one to use as a receiver and the other to use as a transmitter. Although this one is for a Canon, you have to buy a set that has two unless you want to stand within a foot or so of your camera in order to fire it. Amazon.com: Aputure 2.4Ghz Trigmaster Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Canon EOS Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, T1, T1i, T2i, T3, T3i, T4, T4i, D60, 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 1000D, 1100D, Powershot G10, G11, G12, G1X,

This is the one in pairs that I spoke of, I do not like standing next to my camera to fire it if I would only purchase one, it defeats the purpose of the remote if you only have one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Let me explain how you can use these -- they are uber flexible.

Camera Trigger

• Put one on the camera hot shoe (or let it dangle your choice) and connect the cable between the "Camera" jack and the USB connector on the E-M5.
    • Turn it on and set the mode switch to "TX/RX"
    • Take another unit in your hand and turn it on and to "TX/RX" Make sure both units are on the same channel!
    • 1/2 Press the button on the unit in your hand and your camera will focus, full press and it releases the shutter.

Flash Trigger

• Set units to go on flashes to "RX" mode (receive only) and turn them on. Mount the flashes on them or connect monolights or power pack with cables to the "Flash" jack.
    • Put another unit on your camera hot shoe, switch it on, and set it to "TX/RX mode". Again, all units must be on the same channel.
    • Every time you fire your camera, your flashes will fire.

This next mode is where the Trigmaster Plus Excels -- a single unit on the camera can both trigger the flashes and the camera in perfect sync.

Combination Camera and Flash Trigger

• Set units to go on flashes to "RX" mode (receive only) and turn them on. Mount the flashes on them or connect monolights or power pack with cables to the "Flash" jack.
    • Put another unit on your camera hot shoe, switch it on, and set it to "TX/RX mode". Again, all units must be on the same channel.
    • On the unit on your camera, connect the camera trigger cable between the "Camera" jack and the USB connector on the camera.
    • Take another unit in your hand, switch it to "TX/RX" mode and hold it in your hand (must be on the same channel as all the others)
    • When you trigger the camera it fires -- and when the hot shoe triggers the unit on the camera triggers the flashes. This is the cool thing about having both transmit and receive in the same unit.

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Your post suggested they were separate types of units when I read it. You and I are on the same page -- he needs two!

• Like Like x 1
  15. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Amazon.com: Aputure Trigmaster Plus Kit, 2.4GHz Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Olympus E-400, E-410, E-420, E-450, E-510, E-520, E-620, SP-57DUZ, SP-560EZ, SP-550EZ, SP-510EZ, PEN E-PL1s, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-P2, E-P3, E-M, OM-

• Like Like x 1
  16. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! I got you now. I was having the same argument as with a friend recently (reliving it here, lol) where he just wouldn't get that you didn't need a different KIND of unit. He was absolutely sure they couldn't all be the same and work.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

17. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I purchased a cheaper version that does not allow me to use the flash on my camera if I place my remote in the hot shoe of my camera. If I allow the remote to sit on my tripod, I can sit my flash in my camera's hot shoe. The one thing that I can suggest to the person who is purchasing one, is that the one that I have does not have a on or off stitch. I have to remove the batteries out of my system to ensure that it does not turn on by accident in my bag.

18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have some of the older Trigmaster 2.4g units (that are separate transmitter and receivers) also and the oldest model transmitters have no power switch and they are a pain. Do yours use that little 12 volt remote battery also? My older ones do and I prefer the newer AAA battery powered units -- but I still have them in case I need more remotes.

19. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I hope that this will help you to understand how it works. http://www.aputure.com/en/product/trigmaster_plus_24G.php