1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase APS-C C Mount 50mm f1.8 Lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by edwardconde, Dec 20, 2014.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    It looks like these new bigger C-Mount lenses are starting to pop up on ebay... I bought the 25mm, 35mm & 50mm lenses. This thread is just for the 50mm f1.8. (Following Forum Rules)

Here is what found out about this lens when buying it off eBay...

Features:

Mount: C mount (diameter 1")
    Focal length: 50mm
    Aperture: F1.8-16
    Elements/group: 6/4
    Angle of view(AOV): 32°
    Aperture blades: 12
    Minimum focus distance: 300mm
    Front thread diameter: 46mm
    Length: 53mm
    Width : 53mm
    Focus & aperture: manual
    Color: black

Attached Files:

2. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here are some of the first samples of the 50mm using my E-P5... My daughter decorated a Gingerbread man at school and it seemed like a good subject for a quick test...

I stopped down to around f2 or so.. The focus ring and aperture ring is smooth.. Much smoother than the 25 or 35..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dropping a bunch of samples from this lens!

My Pros & Cons:

Pros:
    - Solid metal construction
    - Very sharp wide open, especially in the center
    - Nice 0.3cm MFD
    - It's a c-mount lens, so it fits like native glass

Cons:
    - Corners are a bit soft wide open
    - Slightly long focus throw, which required going to magnify view more often to nail critical focus
    - High amounts of CA that doesn't go away until f/8

All shot between my E-M10 and E-PM2:

50_apsc_02.

TKF11001.

TKF10996.

TKF10980.

TKFX0236.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lens mounted on my E-M10 and E-PM2 (also posted elsewhere on this site):
    olympus_50c.

epm2_50apsc.

My recommendation: If you already own an adapted 50 1.4/1.8 I probably wouldn't bother. If you don't own an adapted 50 and are cheap or broke to buy a 45mm 1.8, I'd seriously consider this lens if you want a 50. Also the lens fits like native glass without the bulk of a FF lens adapter. I'd say performance is on par with most adapted 50s with the added benefit of close-up focus. If you just like owning cheap 50s though, by all means add this one to your collection! :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    • Like Like x 2
  6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice one Joon525! Are you thinking of using this lens for product photography or even macro?

7. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    I have no set type of photography in mind for this lens.
    I bought it because it was cheap and I just wanted to try it out. I wanted to try out something different from all the Olympus and Panasonic lenses that are available natively. Also, forcing me to manually focus engages me in the whole process more which I like.

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    A couple more samples. I might of posted these elsewhere, but I can't remember! All shot with the E-M10 and APS-C 50mm:

chinatown_04.

chinatown_05.

chinatown_06.

chinatown_03.

chinatown_01.

• Like Like x 4
  9. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Very interesting, thanks for the samples! It looks like the going rate is about $50. I think that's a pretty good price compared to old SLR lenses with large flange distance.

Another slept-on gem in this range is the Olympus Pen F 38mm f/1.8 lens. Generally costs more but is very small with short Pen F flange distance (smaller than this 50mm APS-C lens judging from the photos.) Sharp wide open with full sensor coverage, corners are sharp upon stopping down.

10. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    They also sell a 35 1.6 aps-c lens that can probably give the 38mm pen lens decent competition. Though, it won't be as cool. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    If the corners are only a "bit soft" or even just "soft" wide open, I completely agree! The thing with the original C-Mount TV lenses is that while the image circle would often cover the M43 sensor, the optics at the edges are simply not there (which is cool for a certain effect, but objectively is poor performance.) So if these new lenses have larger elements, it's easy to image better general performance and a great performance:price ratio.

12. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I saw this on ebay a couple of weeks back along with the 35mm and the 8mm fisheye with same make. It looks like fun!