1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

April 3 is Worldwide Micro Four Thirds Photography Day!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Our forum member Bhupinder2002 had the wonderful idea to start a Worldwide Micro Four Thirds Photography Day to be held each year on the third day of the fourth month.

We've created a Flickr group for the event,the easy to remember url of which is micro43day.org.

The idea behind Micro Four Thirds Day is simple: Micro 4/3 users around the world set out on April 3 to make photos and then share up to 3 photos from that day with the group. It is a day to celebrate Micro Four Thirds photography with the global community of Micro 4/3 users and also to call attention to our excellent Micro 4/3 system.

6815739758_59031f6018_m.

Why use Flickr to host the Worldwide Micro Four Thirds Photography Day?
    1. A lot of people already use Flickr.
    2. Flickr now allows you to login with Google, Facebook, or Yahoo accounts, and most people have at least one of those.
    3. Flickr is easy to use and moderate.

Why not host the event here at Mu-43.com?

We want this to be an event for all Micro Four Thirds users to celebrate and enjoy regardless of whether they choose to join our wonderful user group here at Mu-43.com. Mu-43.com will be listed at the Flickr group along with any other websites and Flickr groups who let us know that you are helping to spread the word.

Please help spread the word about Worldwide Micro Four Thirds Photography Day!

• Like Like x 8
  2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I was wondering if you thought of maybe adjusting date to allow users to get their E-M5?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    LOL, I did think about that, but the general consensus was that April 3 was the best and most memorable date. There's always April 3, 2013 for the E-M5 users :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    How about selling T shirts bearing the Micro4/3 logo? can be a good fundraiser for this group.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    We don't have the rights to use the Micro 4/3 logo. I'm hoping the copyright holders won't mind the limited non-commercial use for this Flickr group. After all, what could help them more than a Worldwide Micro Four Thirds Photography Day? However, selling stuff with the logo would almost definitely get us in trouble!

6. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    haha...True.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    How about we tell oly to ship out a week early to the rest of the world?

8. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Have you thought of asking them for limited use for the group? As you said, it can only really work in their favor.

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have posted announcements in two Vimeo Groups: GH2 Users and Panasonic GHx & micro4/3 Community.

I know there are a few other groups on Flickr. Amin are you going to be cross-posting on those?

• Like Like x 1
  10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    And does anyone frequent any relevant groups on dpreview?

11. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    And what about high-profile bloggers who have been m4/3-friendly? There's a few out there but I don't follow any. A personal note to them might be a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have posted on personal-view.com, the home of the GH1 and GH2 firmware hacks.

13. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Even the forum :43: logo?

Well maybe not for "Mico-Four Thirds Day", but a forum shirt could be useful for future events, photo contests etc... Raise awareness on obscure format.

14. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Ah, Vitaliy felt it was "group promotion" and removed my post. But maybe 30 people saw it before he did. :wink:

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    re: Use of the official MFT logo, I don't want to go that route for a commercial project.

re: Selling t-shirts with our Mu-43 logo or offering them as prizes, that's something we could do if there is interest. There are online services that make it easy.

re: Promotion of Worldwide Micro Four Thirds Photography Day (WMFTPD) on other sites, here are my thoughts:
    • I've already emailed the owners/editors of 43 Rumors, Four Thirds User, The Online Photographer, 1001 Noisy Cameras, DPReview, Imaging Resource, OM User, Photography Blog, Steve Huff, Kirk Tuck, SoundImagePlus, and Thom Hogan to see if they are willing to help promote.
    • Once we have a decent # of people who have joined the group, I will email folks at Panasonic and Olympus to see if they want to help
    • If anyone here knows any other bloggers with an interest in MFT and don't mind asking them if they would help, please do so and then note in this thread that you asked them (so we don't end up asking them multiple times).
    • If you admin a Flickr group, then your help spreading the word is very much appreciated.
    • If you belong to a Flickr group and are sure (like Ned was) that it is okay/welcome to post this, then please do. If you're not sure, please ask the group admin before posting. Again, it would be great if you could update this thread with the fact that you asked so we don't ask them multiple times.
    Thanks, everyone, for helping to spread the word!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I added all of those groups to the list of Sponsors at micro43day.org, so let me know if anyone removes your post so I can take them off the list :biggrin:.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You bet. ;)

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bummer. I'm hoping that people will realize that this is not about Mu-43.com and that the Flickr group itself is not a commercial entity at all except for Yahoo. It's just a worldwide celebration of Micro Four Thirds photography.

20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Amin .
    I was sleeping when this all was going on .
    This time zone things makes u miss a few things .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder