1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

[April 2011] BCN Sales Charts - Japan

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ksn, May 24, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    12 Month Mirrorless/DSLR Sales Comparison [LINK]

[​IMG]
    [Blue = DSLR] [Green = Mirrorless]

April 2011 Sales [LINK]
    1. 11.4% CANON EOS Kiss X4
    2. 10.8% NIKON D3100
    3. 08.1% SONY NEX-5
    4. 07.7% NIKON D90
    5. 06.6% CANON EOS Kiss X5
    6. 05.5% PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-GF2
    7. 04.9% CANON EOS 60D
    8. 04.4% OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL2
    9. 04.1% NIKON D7000
    10. 03.9% OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL1

April 2011 Mirrorless Sales
    1. 26.1% SONY NEX-5
    2. 17.7% PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-GF2
    3. 14.2% OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL2
    4. 12.6% OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL1
    5. 29.4% Other mirrorless (GH2, E-P2, etc.)

April 2011 sales ranking by SKU (different colors, kit lenses) [LINK]
    On the green colored column on the left, check "話題のミラーレス一眼" to filter mirrorless cameras only.
    Unfortunately there are no numbers, only rankings, so its not very helpful.

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The big boys have a commanding lead over all-the-rest ... guess thats why they're the big boys.

3. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    GF2 is selling well. That give some traction to these rumors of a smaller GF3.

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    4 of the top 10 are mirrorless. The dSLRs are entry and mid-level, with capabilities within shouting range of the GH2, M43's current top of the heap. It's just a matter of time before this chart is turned upside down and 6-7 of the top 10 are mirrorless. In Japan, I'd hazard a guess that this will happen before the year is out. And if I were Thom Hogan, I'd come back in 7 months time and say, "told you so". ;)

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Really? This a single month. These figures change with new model releases and what is available in the market.

You notice the annual chart had a peak in the beginning which could be related with the number of new mirrorless models available (what model release happened during that perod?), but then it has been fairly flat. There has been no real growth in mirrorless sales since June, 2010.

If I were Thom Hogan, I would stick to what I know.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    John- Canon and Nikon captured 45.5% of the market while Olympus and Panasonic accounted for 21.9%, selling less than half of the big boys. Sorta wonder who/what comprised of the remaining 32.6%.

Hakari, John is an optimist.

G

7. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    The remaining 32.6% consists of 23.5% DSLRs that didn't make the top 10 (more Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax) and 9.1% mirrorless that didn't make the top 10 (Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung).

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'd love to see sales vs marketing dollars spent...I think there might be some correlation.

9. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Another interesting one:

12 Month Mirrorless/DSLR Sales Comparison [LINK]

[​IMG]
    [Orange = DSLR] [Blue = Mirrorless] [Red = Mirrorless Shelf Stock]

10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If that's true then in less than 3 years mirrorless has gone from non-existent to nearly 30% of the Japanese market. That's pretty staggering. A couple other things to consider:

- What kind of marketshare would Olympus an Panasonic have had they not launched M43? Before M43, Panasonic=Samsung and Olympus=Pentax in terms of both marketshare, and just as importantly, mindshare.

- Adoption of new technology typically follows an s-curve, begun by early adopters willing to try something new despite cost and performance disadvantages (ISO, AF, FPS, lenses) to existing technology. As the new technology matures, those cost and performance gaps are closed while new benefits emerge (size, live view, etc). The curve moves sharply upward as the gap is closed and early adopters give way to mass acceptance.

In my eyes we are on the cusp of the acceleration of the adoption curve. The fact that the Sony NEX can move to the number 2 spot so quicky - new system, new mount, no installed base - is a testament to this. And for me the G3 is a watershed camera - by all appearances it stands toe to toe with entry-level dSLRs on nearly all measures, and is the first M43 that I think I can unequivocally recommend over my previous entry dSLR standard-bearer, the Pentax K-x.

And I'm not sure if I would call myself an optimist. The glass is half full AND half empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    John, I am more of an engineering type. I see the glass as badly designed for the volume of liquid.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Wow, I just realized I labeled everything as March and this was for April. Fixed.

My glass is all empty today.

13. Indeed. It doesn't matter whether your glass is half full or half empty, because either way you are not optimising the performance of the vessel :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    fwiw, I just refilled my glass.

In the US, It would take a LOT more to turn the tables on the big 2. Between my wife and I, we own 4 Panasonic cameras. When people see what cameras we're using, they usually indicate that they didn't know Panasonic made cameras (or that they didn't know they made good camera). At least most Americans are familiar with Olympus as a camera brand (and I would assume a well regarded one).

Sony has that number one spot, because they have 2 models.....for the whole year.....for that line's whole existence. Just 2. And more or less the same. A better one and a dumbed down one that still took the exact same photos. No bewildering array of constantly changing models where the lay person can;t even compare tham to see which one they want. I think some are so confused they just look at Sony and say "Hey, it's got a weird-looking body, but they get good reviews". Should I just dip my toes in, or spend the extra whatever the difference is and get the other?

I'd love to know what percentage of those buyers even know what the heck micro four-thirds is? Or what APS-C means?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    to continue with that train of thought.....I loved my E-P1 when I owned one, and I love the Panny's, but if someone I know wants a recommendation, I have NO idea what to recommend.....too many choices and none that are good. I tell em to get a used Nikon D5000. They're cheap, better than mine and have more lenses that work on them.

I've also talked a few discerning folks into the wonderful Pentax cameras

16. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Panasonic will be making fewer cameras. They just announced major layoffs in their camera division.

I wonder if people even know APS-C is a film format! (APS = Antique Photo System)

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Stick with engineering Hakari ... leave the humor to us professionals.

G

18. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Wow. I always thought the NEX was lagging the M43 cameras since it was out so much later. I never guessed it would be leading in sales.

19. MP Burke

MP Burke Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2010
    UK
    There seems to be a consistent trend in Japan that the small cameras (NEX and GF2) are the top sellers.
    I am always intrigued by the relatively poor sales performance of Samsung NX cameras. In the UK, these are available at a low price, but they don't seem to have the same appeal as the Sony NX cameras. When I looked at the Samsung NX I was unimpressed by the lens range (e.g. no ultra wide zoom) but the same could be said of the Sony NX. The lens range does not seem to be important to many purchasers.
    You can see why Panasonic might like to release a smaller version of the GF2 with more MP and 1080p, it just seems to tick all the boxes.

20. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    So pocket cameras confirm to stay a constant trend in Japan. Olympus Pens 18x24mm were a hit there, with some followers like Ricoh, while only the Pen FT got a (niche) market in the US, and went unnoticed in Europe. There even domestic microcameras, like the incredible Tessina half-format TLR or the Robot 24x24, or Russian Narciss SLR were stuck to intelligence or surveyance tasks, while the Yashica Atoron--Minox copy--had significant audience at home.