April 2010 : Lightzone Raw Contest #3

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Brian Mosley, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Before we start - a quick reminder, please choose your favourite interpretation of our first Lightzone contest from the Gallery here. Careful - you only have one choice!

April 2010: LightZone RAW contest #3

Prize provided by LightCrafts (producer of LightZone)

This, the next in our series of LightZone contests will be an opportunity for our members to share all imaging steps (including selective corrections) with other readers.

A special thank you to Andrew Shipman, for supplying the raw image for our contest this month. I asked Andrew for the image, because it will give plenty of scope for alternative renditions.

You will simply upload a LightZone lzn.jpeg file to our Apr 2010 Contest Gallery.

There's a brief introduction to Lightzone for photographers here.

And a set of tutorials on the simple tools here.

The lzn.jpeg file will contain all steps and operations you performed on this image. If you don't own LightZone please install a demo version. Contact LightCrafts if your demo already expired. Olympus Photo Safari Group members have access to the best available discount (100% of the discount is passed on to Safari Group members) for Lightzone.

The main goal is to share imaging techniques and visual interpretations among all of our readers.

We provide the original raw file for you to work with :
    Apr_2010_Original_Image.

You produce your interpretation (e.g. color, B&W, colorized, cropped, rotated) of this image using only LightZone 3.9 or newer.
    Example interpretation :
    BrianMosleyP3298014c_lzn.

Finally, you upload your saved LZN jpeg file to the Apr 2010 Contest Gallery.

Your contest assignment

Your task is to create your interpretation of the supplied raw file - try to find a creative interpretation which emphasises the character of the image as you see it.

* Download the original raw file attached to this post. (read the copyright notice below)
    * Only LightZone 3.9 or newer may be used
    * Open the raw file in Lightzone... apply the tools and finish with "Browse" to exit and save a lzn_jpeg with the name P3298014_lzn.jpg
    * Rename the lzn.jpeg file to : your_identifier_P3298014_lzn.jpg
    * Upload the lzn jpeg file to our Apr 2010 Contest Gallery.
    * You may also add a short descriptive outline of your workflow to your Gallery entry.
    * You grant the free public use of your instructions used in the Lightzone jpeg file

Rules and procedures

* Contest is open to all people having no affiliation with LightCrafts Inc.
    * You can download other entries to learn from the processing stacks used - but try to make your own distinct interpretation.
    * On the first 7 days of May 2010, all members can vote on the results to select their favorite interpretation
    * LightCrafts may select one or more of these LZN files and feature the result on their own website.
    * Contest voting must be completed by the 7th of May. Winner announced 8th May.
    * The image with most votes will be awarded 1 full, non-transferable license for Lightzone.
    * If the winner already owns Lightzone, the license will pass to the next member in rank of votes. In the event of a tie, voting will be extended until a winner emerges.

A Note on Copyright: This image may only be used in the context of this contest and the only site that has the right to publish images is mu-43.com (or other sites that are granted permission, in this case also LightCrafts). If you want to use this image for any other purposes (e.g. marketing) you may request a license from the image owner.

We will use this thread to discuss the contest and to help each other master Lightzone for photographic post processing.

Raw image attached.

2. SFA

SFA New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2010
    UK
    Hi Brian,

I'm not seeing the attachment with the RAW file. Do we have a glitch in the system?

Grant

3. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Whoops! Sorry Grant... I did upload the raw file but there does seem to have been a problem. Will upload it when I get home (out getting my PAD for today... just managed it, whew! :yahoo:)

Cheers

Brian

4. SFA

SFA New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2010
    UK
    Hi Brian,

You know I am utterly in awe of you PAD people. I browse the results once a week at least. Good work.

No rush for the download - the month is young! But I thought I had better let you know that there seemed to be a vacancy of link. (Would that be better as 'link lacuna'?)

Grant

5. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Ah, I see now... my quota for attachments was exceeded. I've deleted the February raw file which made space for April.

Cheers

Brian

6. gusmur

gusmur Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi Brian,
    How do I edit my photo's title once it has been uploaded to the contest gallery?
    I just want to move " Old Times " to the title bar that shows under the photo and remove what is currently there.
    Thanks,
    Angus

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Angus, you should be able to edit your photo in the gallery - there's an edit option on the menu to the top right when you go to your image in the gallery.

Can you see that?

Cheers

Brian

8. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    hmmm

Okay, I think I've uploaded successfully. Not sure.

Can anyone else see my lightzone twiddled images?

-Gary

9. marceloanelli

marceloanelli Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2010
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Gary,

first one is a lz-jpeg file, but second one is only jpeg file.

Unfortunately I cannot see on LZ the first file due to linux luminosity selector bug.

10. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Hmmm, don't understand what that means. Both were created using 'save as' within LZ, and the 'save as' dialogue doesn't seem to give me any options or file types.

One day, when I finally understand what that means and how to fix it... I shall do so : ) Who'd have thought this would be so complicated : /

Maybe I'm too used to the PS way of doing things that I am missing something obvious in LZ. Any chance you can PM me a clue ?

-Gary

11. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Gary, I'm out street shooting at the moment but will check it on my return in a couple of hours. Thanks for getting involved!

Cheers

Brian

12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Gary, I suspect you may have accidentally used "File->Convert Image..." instead of "File->Save As..." for your Dare rendition... try again, and use "File->Save As..."

Nice renditions! well done :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

13. marceloanelli

Feb 9, 2010
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Brian,

I own a LZ license, in surrealist case I win, I can use the license for my wife? She is just learning taking photo and stole my computer for using Lightzone. The case is that I have my license in the laptop and desktop, two allowed.

I hope you have enjoy taking photo, while work slave i was programming...

14. marceloanelli

Feb 9, 2010
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Gary,

I agree with the Brian supposition. On edit mode use save as option and change name of file as required.

15. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Ah, problem solved ... well, not solved exactly but understood.

I put it in the gallery and then without thinking decided to flip it horizontally briefly to see how it looked which has apparently lost the LZ metadata. Unfortunately before this revelation I managed to overwrite the original while trying to find the problem at my end - lol.

Life's funny like that : )

-Gary

16. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, of course Marcelo - no problem... and good luck!

Cheers

Brian

17. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Okay, it's starting to make a little more sense now.

"The Dare" image is fixed
    My new "Twi-LightZone" interpretation is added

Just not sure how to address the problem that Marceloanelli mentions (where 1st image exhibits luminosity selector bug under Linux) ... is there a final filter I can use to make my images more compliant under linux?

I'm assuming that some deviation from the JPEG standard exists at my end.

-Gary

18. gusmur

gusmur Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Got it.
    Thanks Brian.
    Best,
    Angus

19. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Seattle
    Maybe this has been mentioned before, but I think there's a C/P oversight:
    On the first 7 days of May 2010, all members can vote on the results to select their favorite interpretation
    * LightCrafts may select one or more of these LZN files and feature the result on their own website.
    * Contest voting must be completed by the 7th of April. Winner announced 8th April.

Should the last sentence read May?

I wanted to participate but not sure when the deadline is...

20. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, well spotted Bruce - that should read May.

Cheers

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.