1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Apple's dumping of Quick Time.....the end of ProRes?

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by D7k1, Apr 22, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I guess they will fix the potential security link and keep some type of QT capability in their own editing progrm's but what about the rest of the QT users in the world? I wonder if this means the end of ProRes as an industry standard.

2. soundsun

soundsun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Phil
    As far as I know, Apple's only stopped updating QuickTime for Windows. QuickTime on the Mac is unaffected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    You are correct I think, but it leaves a lot of folks out in the cold. I would hope that someone like Adobe might get the rights to keep it alive and safe for windows. I prefer other codecs but there are a lot of DSLR *.mov cameras that need QT for their NLE.

4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I heard Apple was just deprecating the Quicktime plug-in/ActiveX control for Windows, but I've yet to see an official announcement from Apple, even on their QT mailing lists...

5. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
  6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    For windows users a work-a-round, is that certain programs can encode in ProRes if you need it. I use ProDad Mercalli v4 for stabilization and it can export in ProRes with low, medium, or high bit rates. Look like Photoshop can handle QT without the viewer installed also.

• Informative Informative x 1