Apple, Windows, Android, Linux, et cetera; and Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by mthomas, Aug 4, 2016.

1. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    After years spent foraging here, on "DPReview," and also on the "Nikonians" site (-- Don't waste your money! --), something remarkable has come to my attention. It is that whenever I read forum participants make mention of their cell phones and tablets, they INVARIABLY refer to them as iPhones & iPads.

Similarly, where threads pertain to configuration issues and/or to the minutiae of post-processing, the hardware platforms are frequently Apple products (and/or the operating systems are specified as "OS-X", etc.).

The only exception to this rule that I find is when I peruse contributions to the film-oriented "rangefinderforum.org" website, which seems much more eclectic.

So my question is, are digital photographers REALLY so very "APPLE-centric," or am I simply being misled by a linguistic convention of which I'm unaware?

Thanks, Marc

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think there's certainly a bit of that. Apple have always appealed to artistic types for whatever reason, maybe it's the design aesthetic and simplicity of operation.

I work in IT, use Linux and Windows desktops/VMs, a Surface tablet and an Android phone. Not head over heels about any of it, but I like Apple products even less.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    I could be you were I not 30 years older. And I feel as you do too.

Marc

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I think @wijang is mostly right - though Adobe is not Apple, and that combo (ACR/LR/PS on an OSX machine) is decidedly common among the artist types I know; this includes a couple of photographers who are very good at post processing and use those tools to their fullest.

On the other hand, I also know a great many amateurs who use the same Adobe products on Windows PCs - so post-processing is before anything else an Adobe-heavy space in my experience, while Windows or OSX are chosen by their respective user groups for other reasons. I don't have enough experience on OSX to tell if it would suit me, but my experience with Windows, while pretty extensive, has been bleak to say the least, so if I had to choose one of those operating systems, it'd probably OSX, if only for its UNIX roots ...

It's probably clear by now though that I myself am a GNU/Linux user and have been for my private needs for nearly 14 years. I have assimilated to the environment as completely as possible (I still use Windows for some proprietary software that won't run on Linux or WINE) and thus have had to get hold of alternatives for my post processing needs; while I have found some that satisfy most of said needs, they're not (yet) quite as powerful and well-integrated (and maintained, as far as RAW support goes) as the Adobe applications, but they certainly do the job - and they're actually free (of charge and crippling copyright induced issues). I think trying the GIMP and something like RawTherapee (those are both available for Windows and Mac, too) might mitigate the urge to buy into one of the more "professional" (but mostly simply much more expensive and highly proprietary) "solutions" - but YMMV.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    I use GIMP exclusively.

Twenty-three years spent as a computer services director disabused me of any notion as to the purported merits of Apple hardware or software (pre- or post-RISC architecture).

Now I'm mostly detached (like Wjiang). It's not worth arguing about. All I want to know is if people are using some kind of "short-hand" when they invoke the name of Apple products.

Marc

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You can edit your post and add a survey.

I use an Android phone, Windows PC, Linux laptops and servers and netbooks.

The only tablet in the house is my wife's iPad, which i surf on but it's useless to me for much else.

7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Got you - sorry for the detour. I think that's the case, yes. Lots of people I know call smartphones "iPhones" as a matter of course.

M.

8. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I'll use anything but Apple products, since this is a friendly site I'll leave out why! :cool:

• Android phone
    • Android tablet
    • Windows Desktop
    • Windows Laptop

At work I have:
    • Windows Desktop
    • Linux Desktop (development environment)

When i meet my wife, she was an Apple only person, but i'm slowly bringing her back from the dark side.:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have two $50 Amazon tablets for my kids. They call them iPads and we all know what they mean.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Well, thank you all. It does look as if Apple's several trade-names are so commonly uttered they're now inseparable parts of the English language, as so many other obsequious (& often heavily-advertised) products have become before.

Nothing can ever be inferred from a non-probability sample, of course, but the variance I've seen here nonetheless gives me hope that I'm not the sole "odd man out!"

Thanks,
    Marc

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 app

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  11. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    Mostly Windows PCs, Linux Servers.

Android Nexus phone. We have Macs in the office that we use to compile some iOS stuff, but do not use them for much other than that.

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    In some countries iPhones have a bigger market share. Where I live the iPhone is a niche player. And quite expensive. Maybe their global marketing doesn't work well worldwide? Anyway, Android offers a much wider variety of phones and other devices. My Amazon TV is Android too. So why would I bother with incompatible stuff?

And here an Apple PC of similar price is just basically slower for no benefit. Maybe you'd get a faster one for the same price elsewhere. I'd feel cheated with an Apple.

I can do everything I want on Kubuntu photography wise. I'm certainly not paying more than 1€ per use for Photoshop.

So it's not usual for people to call smartphones iPhones here. When I read here someone says things about the benefits of an iPhone, which is clearly a benefit of all smartphones, I get the impression they dont know anything outside the iPhone world. And probably believe that paying 5 times the price for a card reader is normal.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  13. curtisls87

curtisls87 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2010
    Los Gatos, CA, USA
    Curt Schimmels
    I've been involved in tech since the 1970s when I started out on IBM 360/370 series mainframes, and currently am a senior director of operations for a public company providing cloud services to our customers for which I run our data centers running Cisco ICS compute hardware with shared storage, virtualization and both linux and windows OS. I also have responsibility for corporate IT, including everything from desktops to our corporate applications like mail servers, knowledge base apps, etc.

I use Macs both at work and at home, although I've been a user of Windows-based machines since Windows 2.0 and do have Ubuntu linux on a VM at home. I'm sure that others have their reasons for using whatever tools they are using, just as I have mine. The ability to open a terminal and do command line unix is one reason for me, but ultimately, it's a personal decision and I respect anyone's preferences for the tools they use. After all, the end result is what's important.

Having said that, the historical use of Apple products in the arts (music, photography, video) has a lot to do with the fact that very early on, this was a point of emphasis in marketing for Apple, and not so much for Wintel based machines. Sticking to the photography part of the equation, there were also two developments that supported the growth of Macs for photography and image management. One was that early on, Photoshop was only available on Macs (Windows version became available with Photoshop 2.5), and the other was that color management was better on Mac OS systems than it was on early Windows machines. Therefore, Apple captured a lot of people early on in the process and this historical preference still hangs around today. To be frank, I don't know much about CMS on windows machines after XP, as I stopped doing photography work on Windows machines at that time. I'm sure now that CMS is probably equivalent.

Bottom line, use the tools that work for you, and spend more time taking photographs! :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I hear ya, I completely wrote off adobe products when they forced cloud (aka never stop paying) on everyone, so for now I use Gimp, and Rawtherapee.

15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I used to be a Windows user, but switched to Mac about 10 years ago and has never looked back. Basically, I prefer OS X because it's a full-fledged UNIX, but with MS Office and Photoshop. That said, I think both Windows and Linux today are excellent and can do everything I need (I actually use Linux on my home server and think about getting a powerful Windows PC for gaming).

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'm a windows and android user as is one of my kids (he actually works for MS now. My wife and other son are windows PC and iPhone users, my wife because she found the sound better, my other son because more of his friends have iPhones and iMessage between them is free.

Like Curt I've been in the IT world a while (I actually have an original IBM PC that still boots). His take on why Apple is consider the artists tool is dead on. More early support for the tools and color management well before PCs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I use Apple for all my photo and video work. A 24" imac from 2007 and 27" 5k imac I purchased in 2015. I also have an HP laptop with an i7 we purchased in 2015. Use an android phone. I call them what they are, a mac for the mac and a pc for the pc. My cell I call a cell phone....

18. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'm exactly the same, except for the wife part...

19. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Windows and android are my choices for OS

20. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    A lot of the professional artists I know with time under their belts have switched from mac to windows. Last guy I talked to about it said it was simple, he could get more processing power for less.

The ones that cause me grief, are the ones just out of college who think you need to use a mac because they are cool, hip or some other adjective.

• Agree Agree x 1