Apple updated RAW support 4.08 - what a disappointment

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Matero, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I must say I'm really, really pissed off because of Apple RAW support update. Aug 22 they updated the RAW compatibility and guess what, no PEN E-P5 on the list. This is just bull.

No matter how much I like Aperture for my purposes but now I really seriously consider the change from Aperture/MacOSX to LR/PC platform. :mad:

Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.08

2. rgk

rgk Mu-43 Rookie

You can of course still use Mac even if you switch to LR. But if you want to leave Apple altogether, it doesn't help...

3. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Well, I wouldn't like to leave Apple, but...

When it is company with all possible resources earth can provide, I don't understand how arrogantly they can behave against consumers until we react and actually do something. OK, I admit, they have quite good negotiation position because basically their stuff just works. But anyway, I'd like to do SOMETHING :dash2:

4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    They push an update every month or so, it will be in the next one I'm sure.

I prefer Lightroom, but Aperture does have the advantage of being cheaper, both in terms of actual price and the slower release schedule. Sometimes you need to update the OS for the latest RAW support, but even that is relatively cheap and painless.

5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    You have to switch LR5 in order to see E-P5 RAW files...

Edit: Or learn how to use that user friendly Olympus Viewer 3

6. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Yes, don't get me wrong guys, I'm really Apple fan boy :smile:

I've testrun LR and somehow it did not feel right for me. And my skills nor my needs don't require LR. I'm more home with Aperture. And with skills I refer to post-processing skills, not computer skills. I really am literate with all major systems :thumbup:

Just letting steam out...

EDIT: And I use OV 3 right now until Apple get its job done, thanks!

7. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    About 6 months ago I switched from aperture to LR for my MacBook. A bit of a learning curve but I'm glad I made the switch. I switched for two main reasons. First, Apple is way overdue with a major release of aperture and as they fall farther behind LR I am concerned with their commitment to this product. Second, most advice that I see posted for tuning your pictures are based on LR.

8. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Maybe around the middle of September you might see an update of Aperture RAW support for the EP5 and EM1.
    Apple are very close to releasing OSX Mavericks and there could be some interesting updates waiting for this release, Aperture 4.0 anyone?

9. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I agree that I was also pissed by not having the EP5 as part of the update. (Was even going to check release dates of the various cameras that were updated....)
    I was using LR when I was running a Windows machine. When I changed to a Mac about 2-3 years ago, I decided to try Aperture (they had demos back then) and just liked it and the way it integrated with the OSX. Have read many complaints about it not being "updated" but with all the incremental updates, it fulfills my needs. Does it need a full update - yep. Hopefully when Maverick is announced/released.

10. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    How long before Adobe adopts the monthly subscription fee for LR?

I've been a photoshop user since Photoshop 1 or 2 but no longer. Not only do they not allow current raw processors to work on older versions of PS, I just don't trust them to support LR long term without a subscription. And once you have everything tied to LR, you are at the company's mercy.

11. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    What I decided to do is to give LR 5 a new, fair chance. I'll have a 30 day test-run and hopefully during that time Apple will provide E-P5 RAW support, I'll "fall in love" with LR, or something.

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    On the other hand, they released an update for Panasonic G6 and GF6 before Adobe. It differs from time to time but in general I don't remember waiting especially long for them to implement support for any camera (Fuji X-Trans stuff excluded).

13. didole

didole New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2012
    Plus people are saying that the X-Trans support in Aperture is actually better than the oh-so-professional Camera Raw / Lightroom.

For me the only REAL drawback in Aperture is the missing lens correction based on profiles, and fortunately this is not an issue for us M43-shooters. The rest is a matter of taste (actually not: the Lightroom UI is obviously done by people without a lot of taste for good UIs...), and a question whether you prefer to have some more advanced image editing functions (Lightroom) or a better usability and OS integration (Aperture).

14. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    BTW, if you haven't noticed yet, Apple did their thing. PEN E-P5 RAW now supported :2thumbs:

15. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Great to see the EP 5 is supported, now they need to hurry to get the EM 1 done before I buy it.

16. vesanieminen

vesanieminen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2013
    Finland
    Vesa Nieminen
    Yay! Finally I can import directly to Aperture and not via Olympus Viewer 3 which is as slow as hell to use.

17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Issue or not is debatable but it is not like the lens profiles are fully populated for ACR/LR either.