Apple Smart Mouse vs Touch Pad for Aperture, Photoshop, etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Swandy, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I switched to an iMac a few years back and really love it. My only "complaint" is that the Smart Mouse (which I really love the functionality of) is a bit too small and no one has deemed it necessary to make a larger one. Every time I go into the Apple Store hoping for a larger version, it is suggested I try the Touch Pad.

So the question is - for those who use the Apple Touch Pad for applications like Aperture, Photoshop/Pixelmator, Nik Software, etc. - how is the control using the Touch Pad vs a mouse? I know that it is fine for "normal" - meaning non-Photographic applications - and I can use all the gestures that I would miss with a normal mouse. (Before you suggest it I have a Wacom tablet, but generally for quick touch ups I just don't bother taking it off the closet shelf.)

Thanks, Steve
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I use the trackpad (a free-standing on for my desktop Mac and built in on my MacBook) for photo-editing. I use Lightroom and the Nik plug-ins, so not the same software, but I think the same basic concerns. It took me a little while to get completely comfortable switching from a smart mouse, but it felt very comfortable within a couple of days. Now it's totally natural. I was OK with the mouse too, but prefer the trackpad....

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How about putting away your mouse and plugging in your Wacom tablet, using it as your sole pointing device for at least a week or two, and getting used to it? Once you do that it will become the most natural pointer you've ever used and will not be sitting on your shelf unused anymore.
  4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I probably should try out the tablet again with my photography work, but I seriously could not see using it full time - even with the mouse they included. Just would miss the various Apple gestures too much. Thanks anyway.
  5. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I should probably go over to my daughter's house and "borrow" their track pad for a while (though I think my son-in-law would probably miss it). But thanks for the impressions.
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Neither... apple mice are about the worst ergonomically designed devices I have ever used. Touch pad doesnt work well for me in photoshop.

Go for a Wacom plus a mouse of your choosing. Even the low end Wacoms are fine

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos
  7. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    I only use touch pad when I'm charging mouse batteries. I'm not getting the idea of touch pad and getting my hand always sore, even more than with mouse.

But thanks Ned for the Wacom idea. I'll pick it up from the girls' room and give it a try.
  8. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Touch pad all the way for me. Been using it for years, a mouse feels odd to me now.
  9. JamesL

JamesL New to Mu-43

May 1, 2012
    I'm a bit late, but why not both?

I have a precise comfortable mouse on my right hand(g500), and a touchpad accessible to the left of my keyboard.
    I have a wacom tablet too but I don't use it for photography.

A physical mouse is really the best tool for pointing/moving/clicking/dragging a cursor around on a screen. At the same time, having a touchpad is invaluable for scrolling, panning, and gestures (things that don't involve moving the cursor).

When you use both(touchpad for gestures, mouse for cursor), they work seamlessly together and the touchpad feels natural on your less-dominant hand.
    Keyboard+mouse shortcuts also work best with a mouse - z+(option)+click, option+click, (cmd)+shift+click+move.. space+drag, i+click, etc...
  10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Actually I find that a gaming mouse is pretty much ideal for photoshop. I have the Logitech G700s - this has a scroll wheel for zooming in and out, +/- settings to control the sensitivity of your movement, and 13 programmable buttons to set as short cuts.
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Trackpad and medium Wacom for desk Mac here.