1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Apple Photos vs Adobe Lightroom, the eternal dilemma.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Angus Gibbins, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Over the past week or so I've been messing around with Photos (I've been using Apple Photos since it launched, it's predecessor apps before then).

I really do love Photos... a lot. But I know ultimately in order to make my photos really pop, I need to use Lightroom. But there's obviously nowhere as much integration with OS X and iOS as there is with Photos. Below is my question.

In Apple Photos once I've processed my photos, if I want to upload them to pretty much any and every website or open them in any app, when prompted to upload or open them, I can select Photos on the left hand side of the Finder window, and then select any of my albums or smart albums (or Apple's inbuilt albums) from the top (grey area). I can also search them by name or tag (or other attribute) in the search box in the top right.

What this means is I can upload and work with my processed photos without having to export them first. As you can imagine this saves me a fair amount of time.

My question is, are there any Terminal commands or any other way that I can bake this functionality into Lightroom and OS X (and preferably sync it to the Photo picker in iOS)? Or do I have to come to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to export them and add additional steps to my workflow?

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 7.30.56 PM.

2. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I’m not sure I’d agree with that statement, and I’ve been using Lightroom since the first public beta! First of all, there are plugins for Photos.app on OS X that extend the processing abilities.

OS X El Capitan: 6 great Photos extensions you can use today

DXO OpticsPro is not on that list, but it looks interesting as well.

DxO OpticsPro for Photos for OS X

As you said, Lightroom has never been very good at sharing. There are some plug-ins available for sharing. If you can find sharing plug-ins for the services you use that would be best. Here is one page of listings from Adobe. This list is not complete.

Lightroom plug-ins and free presets

If you can’t find a plugin, one workaround is to export from Lightroom to a folder that is “watched” by Automator. To make this work, you have to create a folder action script in Automator to do what you want. People use this method to sync a certain collection in Lightroom to Photos, which in turn syncs it to their iPhone or iPad.

There is a Lightroom plugin guru who has been making plugins for years and gradually expanding his offerings. I think he does a good job.

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s Lightroom Goodies (Plugins and Tools)

When I was using plugins I found the Lightroom plugin system in general to be fussy and flaky. Today I do my sharing by exporting to JPEG first. Which, as you said, is time consuming.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I use both Photos and LR as well. I haven't found a way to do what you want yet except via export.

4. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Bruce McL: You sir are a gentlemen, I'll have a look at these after work tonight.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Angus are you interested in moving photos from Photos or to Photos?

6. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Ideally I'd like to stay with Photos. Photos philosophy of management and organisation makes more sense to me than Lightroom (not to mention OS X, iOS and iCloud Photo Library integrated) but it can't compete with Lightroom with image editing.

I'd be curious to know your Workflow if you're using both.

7. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I upload everything into Photos usually via iOS. My mobile device is usually an iPad. From there I make quick a cull and let iCloud sync do it's thing. Once back to my iMac I do some edits in Photos or export to LR or FCPX if video. My hope that Photos through updates or plugins will gain back its functionality like FCP did. One of the reasons that I use Photos is that it so easy for my wife and I to share pics when we are traveling apart.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  8. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you. For me in 2006, Lightroom was a great choice. I have no regrets. But, as you mention in another reply, the organization and sharing in Lightroom is not what it could be. And, using Lightroom and sharing organization tasks with another program (like Photos.app) is very difficult. If I was starting from scratch today, I would take a good long look around before leaping into Lightroom.

Have you checked out Iridient Developer and Capture One? These are two heavy duty photo editing programs that might play better with Photos.app. I don't think they do any photo organizing at all.

Iridient Digital - Iridient Developer

The Professional Choice In Imaging Software

9. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I think Photos has gotten incrementally better in the past year, though there are still a few controls that I don't find all that effective. Sharpness and noise reduction are pretty poor, IMO, but the other tools seem just fine.

I bought the Macphun software suite, which is a lot more powerful (I particularly like Noiseless for noise reduction and Snapheal for removing objects from the photo), but if you want them to be used as Photos Plugins, be aware that they will only output JPEG. Using them as standalone software will allow you to retain RAW format if that is what you shoot, but then you are right back to the problem of having to take the time to export, if that bothers you. There are other plugin options, but I don't know how they compare to Macphun, or if any of them will retain RAW format.

Right now, Photos also can't do anything involving multiple frames. So, HDR, panorama stitching, photo merging, any of these cannot be done with plugins under Photos' current architecture. I don't know if that will change. You have to have external software and export to it to perform those tasks.

I also do what Dornblaser does, using an iPad and the cloud. You can edit on the iPad as well, and most of the same controls are there, but I think it also only outputs JPEG. So, if that's a problem, do what he does and wait until you get home to do your edits.

10. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Trust me, I know. Doing quick and nasty iPad edits in Photos on the fly is awesome.

Not all of the editing and management tools are on the iOS versions, but there's enough to get by.

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, it has replaced Snapseed, etc., for me.

12. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Part of the problem here as well is Apple's attitude towards the Mac App Store. Top Mac developers (and previous flagship Mac apps and Apple design award winners) are leaving the Mac App Store left, right and centre. My understanding is Photos extensions developers have to be in the Mac App Store, but Apple aren't creating incentives for developers to create great Mac store apps.

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, if I am traveling I shoot JPEG LF + RAW and RAW only if I will be at my iMac that night. Adobe has introduced some wonderful Adobe CC iOS apps, but a good LR/Ps app is still missing in action,

14. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    I don't even bother shooting RAW any more (I might do of battling poor conditions). The jpegs from my E-M1 are good enough.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, that currently is a serious problem. However, I am hopeful that Apple will address that issue soon as the iPad Pro needs Pro apps to survive. There is so much potential with iOS for creatives and enterprise use with the iPad.

16. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Yup. I was more so referring to the Mac but the iPad Pro's future is yet to be determined as well.

17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I must admit, I looked in to the MacPhun plugins for Photos, and was pleasantly surprised. Their Creative Kit looks to be almost like a Nik competitor, and some of the stuff actually looks really good.

I see that their apps can be used as plug-ins for LR. Does anyone know, do I need to purchase it directly from their website, or can I purchase it through the App Store and use it as a LR plug-in?

18. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Does anybody have hands-on experience with their noiseless and snap heal programs?

Noiseless looks like it does a really good job (based on the examples on the site, so I take them with a grain of salt).

Snap heal also looks like it does a really good job in removing subjects from an image (again, based on their examples).

I'm also interested in intensify.

19. slmoore

slmoore Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I believe you need the pro versions of theirs apps to get the LR plugins. The Mac App Store version is the non-pro version so you'd want to buy direct from Macphun instead.

20. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Exactly the opposite of the Mac store versions. They have extensions for Photos where as the Pro versions don't.

Even though I don't really shoot in RAW, I still bought the Pro version of AuroraHDR. It has enough additional features for me to justify it (and the Photos extension pretty much only allowed for a single file to be opened in AuroraHDR anyway).