Apple Photos Advanced features added

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BobbyD, Nov 11, 2017 at 7:53 AM.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    MacOS High Sierra photos app has new advance editing features. The interface looks good and it does a good job on your image. It's not as good as Aperture, I don't think. But, you don't have to rent it like you do with Adobe.

2. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Mu-43 Regular

The new Photos advanced editing features are very, very good, and probably cover 90% of most people’s uses.

The metadata and batch conversion file management tools are still not up to,par compared to Aperture, but Imthink Photos has now surpassed Aperture for editing individual photos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I’d give it a shot again, but I’m planning on going back to windows sometime in th spring unless apple releases some major new products, and I really hope they do. To me, it feels like they’ve gone from being the creative/artists choice for pro/powerhouse devices to one-size-fits-most geared to the casual general user (talking desktops and laptops, the still make great tablets/etc). That’s fine, they’re a company and need to turn a profit, I’ll just likely be looking elsewhere for my next upgrade.

4. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    i feel the same way. i don't think I will use it full time. But, I may play with it some. After Apple killed off aperture the way they did, i still have a bad taste in my mouth for Apple.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Did they add local brush support?

6. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    The only brush is a spot healing brush.

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    No edge aware perfect brush or eraser, no luminance range masking, no color range masking, no HDR stacking, no pano stacking, no focus stacking.......etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    That would be a no.

9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I knew that already. My point is that Photos may be OK for the more casual photographer. But someone who wants/needs advanced editing capabilities, and a fully operational referenced library (not managed library), will need to look elsewhere. That is why so many former Aperture users have ended up with Lightroom or C1P, not Photos.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Apple is calling them advanced features. I guess compared to the original release they may be advanced. No where near what Aperture was or Lightroom is.

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    + 1

I think that the iMac Pro might be an interesting, albeit expensive, tool. My current iMac will turn 3 y.o.a. in February which is when I normally replace them, when AppleCare expires, but I am leaning to keeping my current iMac as it is running very well.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 9:33 AM
  12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    There is also the Macphun software that work as plugins to Apple Photos. They extend the capabilities of Photos.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    It is too bad that Apple still has a great operating system but that they have been terrible about hardware upgrades the last several years now. While they used to be cutting edge, now they release hardware that at the time is pretty good, but not really cutting edge, and then keep reselling the exact same hardware for years at the exact same prices (they don't even do small hardware bumps mid major releases). Meanwhile I see some of these gaming Windows boxes which come with wayyyy better hardware and more stuff for a lot less. I don't game, but when a $1200 Windows box blows most of the Apple hardware out of the water you start thinking maybe I should move to Windows.

As a long time Mac user, I learned many many years ago that this is Apple's normal mode. Release something innovative, convince everyone to go all in with it, then eventually stop updating it then eventually announce they are dropping it for the latest new thing. So I rarely go all in on any of their (once great, later abandoned) apps if migrating out of that app is a major bit of effort. Often it is the bit of arrogant "we know better than you do what you need".

Likewise I have always hated how Apple arbitrarily drops support for hardware and software when they update the operating system or new hardware or sw that will not work unless you buy the latest operating system even though there is no reason what it couldn't work on the older systems. This used to be an issue when buying things like iPods. You needed the new version of iTunes but that only works on the newest version of the OS. Meanwhile that same new iTunes version works perfectly fine on the old XP operating system you were using.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    My iMac is coming up on six years old in January and it still works fine. My choice of an optional i7 chip and 8gb of ram when I bought it no doubt helps. But even iMacs get very expensive very fast. This has me wondering if the current i5 chip would be enough with, say, 16gb of ram.

15. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The Problem with plugins is that they create a whole layer of problems because you generally cannot keep the RAW file throughout the whole process. You either have to develop the raw, than flatten for your plugin, or the other way round. If you send the RAW to macphun and edit it there, you are basically using Photos just as a DAM, which considering it is managed (not referenced) seems like a terrible idea. In addition to that, you will have to export your file (or save your changes otherwise) because your editor will not keep a library of the changes. So you end up with multiple versions of that file. Any plugin based workflow just seems like a mess to me, and I only use them for specific effects that I want on specific photos. And for that, the basic features need to be complete.

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that i7 and 32gb ram is the sweet spot.

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We are getting iMacs for the holidays. We will go with i7 4.2 CPUs, 512GB SSD and 8GB of memory. I already have two 16GB memory sets to add bringing up the memory to 24GB. We will reuse our Thunderbolt disks that have our libraries and Time Machine backups. These machine will need to last us at least 4 years, preferably more. Best prices I have found are at Adorama with the AppleInsider discount of $75 extra discount on top of no tax or shipping.

imac-27-inch-performance-june-2017

Current Generation Macs Price Guide. Coupons, Deals and Lowest Prices on all things Apple

18. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Has anyone looked into a hackintosh? I've seen a lot of video guys moving to them, as it lets them upgrade and max gear spec while keeping the OS/software they like (mainly final cut pro).

19. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    When I retired I was a beta tester for Win8. I was so impressed I converted my PC into a Hackintosh to see if I wanted to go back to Mac; my first and only Mac had been one of the original models in the 80s with 128K of memory and a single floppy drive.

After I got the Hack up and running on Lion, I liked what I say and got a MacBook Pro. This holiday season I am moving the wife and I from MacBooks to iMacs. We use iPad Pro 512 units in the field. No more dragging around a laptop.

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Absolutely. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the going rate for that build of a new iMac, however.