Apple M1 Macs and Photo / Video editing

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Heck, even the old Mac Pro Xeons would be allowed to run up to 80C before fan ramp up, so I think the thermal rating on chips is so conservative that something else is more likely to fail before the processor. Even then, the chips are all designed to throttle before they hit the danger zone. I think an M1 Air will last quite a long time.

Hey pretty much completely off-topic, but figure there's some expertise here since it's artsy. :)

My buddy is looking to get a computer for an audio studio in his home. Looking for something pretty durable. I can definitely speak to Mac's for durability, do you think the M1s would be candidates for this? If not, what should I look for recommending? He's asking me because I'm technical, but my experience with audio is very limited...

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Apple's Logic is a really nice piece of software that is already native to M1. Garageband, while limited also offers enough functionality that most basic audio tasks can be achieved (multitrack recording until 255 tracks), support for many audio unit plugins.

I work as a music teacher and used to own Logic (version 8 so way back). Nowadays I just use garageband but the virtual instruments that came with logic can still be used.

I've not got an M1 Mac yet, because I'm waiting for the higher end models hopefully coming out this year, but for audio work I've never reached the limits of my current 2014 MacBook Pro. I guess if you load in multiple huge sound libraries it becomes a different beast, but if you just want to record and edit your own Band Garageband is really all you need and the M1 will be plenty powerful enough.

If working with sample libraries, maxing out RAM is important though.

Apple's Logic is a really nice piece of software that is already native to M1. Garageband, while limited also offers enough functionality that most basic audio tasks can be achieved (multitrack recording until 255 tracks), support for many audio unit plugins.

I work as a music teacher and used to own Logic (version 8 so way back). Nowadays I just use garageband but the virtual instruments that came with logic can still be used.

I've not got an M1 Mac yet, because I'm waiting for the higher end models hopefully coming out this year, but for audio work I've never reached the limits of my current 2014 MacBook Pro. I guess if you load in multiple huge sound libraries it becomes a different beast, but if you just want to record and edit your own Band Garageband is really all you need and the M1 will be plenty powerful enough.

Oh awesome, precisely what I needed. I'll get some more details from him. I don't think he's looking to go all pro (he like me is an Army officer) so the M1 might very well work for him. My Mac Mini is in the military postal system, so who knows when it'll get here, but I'll soon be able to try it out myself. Super excited :)

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Oh awesome, precisely what I needed. I'll get some more details from him. I don't think he's looking to go all pro (he like me is an Army officer) so the M1 might very well work for him. My Mac Mini is in the military postal system, so who knows when it'll get here, but I'll soon be able to try it out myself. Super excited :)
I can tell you the non-military postal system isn’t doing much better right now.

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
My concern is how Darktable is going to run on the new Macs. Theoretically it should be just a recompile (if you're nerdy) or a new binary to download if you're not but I REALLY don't want to go back to Lightroom and I would strongly prefer to stay with Mac OS. I like it better for personal use than Windows and I'm not willing to deal with maintaining a Linux computer anymore (although I suspect it's considerably easier than in the 90's and early aughts).
Not sure how darktable works with it yet, but I did read where Affinity Photo is extremely fast on it.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Agreed. I'm currently mixing a Logic Pro tune for a friend that has 33 tracks on my 32GB 2012 iMac, a mix of 5 different sample-based instruments, 6 or 7 virtual synths, many, many plugins for efx and compression/expansion, yada yada, and 9 or so vox tracks. In order to get all that to play smoothly I've had to change some settings and pre-render most of the plugin content, but I'm guessing the new Apple ARM machines aren't going to break a sweat doing same.

It's probably too late to help now, but Hypilein's comment about RAM is important, especially since you can't upgrade RAM in the new Macs. Drive space is also important since sample libraries eat up a ton of space. Anyway, hope this helps.

My concern is how Darktable is going to run on the new Macs. Theoretically it should be just a recompile (if you're nerdy) or a new binary to download if you're not but I REALLY don't want to go back to Lightroom and I would strongly prefer to stay with Mac OS. I like it better for personal use than Windows and I'm not willing to deal with maintaining a Linux computer anymore (although I suspect it's considerably easier than in the 90's and early aughts).
Found this on Reddit:
Bit late to the discussion but my M1 Macbook Air runs Darktable faster than my Core i7 gen8 Ubuntu box. It works perfectly.
I presume that's on Rosetta2. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTable/comments/k09qho

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom