Apple is discontinuing Aperture

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara

Me neither. I can't say I was every truly impressed with Aperture's rendering engine, but if anybody had the wherewithal to keep Adobe on their toes, it was Apple. That competition benefited us, and losing Aperture likely means Lightroom development will slow too.

andymacadams

Mu-43 Rookie
APPLE DECISION = :coco:

It is truly a shame Apple announcing releasing the statement to Arstechica. In my mind it shows Apple is moving from Professional programs, moving into ease of use for casual users.

Great, now I have to go out and by lightroom and learn that now.....:shakehead:

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I've been using Aperture since about 2008. I have my entire digital library going back to film scans from 1996 loaded in. All "graded" and sorted.
This kind-of sucks. I've always found the colours and the look of the RAW files from Apple's RAW engine seemed more pleasant to me. There was a time where I used Adobe Bridge and their RAW convertor and I never liked the flat-colour images it produced. Lightroom won't read any of the non-destructive edits that Aperture applies.

As far as I know, Aperture won't suddenly stop working when OSX Yosemite comes out, so I have time to look again at Lightroom.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I think that there a few things to keep in mind, iPhoto, in particular, and Aperture, are both in need of a redo. The Photos app that we very briefly saw at WWDC look really good. And that app is functional on an iPad, including RAW manipulation. The update to the Arstechica indicated that the Photos app will support support 3rd party plugins and professional features. Maybe this will be like FCPX where features kept being added. There was a natural collision that was inevitable as features are continually being added to iPhoto and other inexpensive, or free, photo programs as they grew close to Aperture in capabilities. It makes sense for Apple to consolidate its photo apps. The new app is going support the current Aperture library, which is good news. Cloud based storage options are good for folks who are mobile. So I will wait for more information before I migrate to LR. Migration to LR won't be without cost as I believe that none of the edits will transfer.

Attachments

• photoapp.jpg
    photoapp.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 670

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
I agree, thinking a bit more about this following the initial 'panic' to move my stuff to Lightroom and deal with its clunky workflow....I think this could be good. Together with other hot new technologies directly build into OSX development frameworks for lens correction and noise reduction to name two, this could be much more powerful than Aperture ever was and build again from the ground up to be a multi-platform app...

There could be some serious opportunity here...

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
I think it is Adobe who has more to fear from this than Apple... especially as we're in no rush to move, if Aperture is working for you now, why change? It will work in the next version of Mac OS X and probably the next.

Adobe's announcement (via Mac Rumors) almost reeks of desperation. Apple have a perceived lead in the cloud-based photo editing workflow.

I'd suggest people give it a while and don't waste time now jumping to Lightroom if you have invested in Aperture.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Yeah, I'm not in any rush. I'm looking at Lightroom, but not jumping. I'm hopeful that most of the tools or "blocks" from Aperture that I use will still be there.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank

Oh good old Thom again... I think the vast majority of panic centred around the DEV screen shots from "Photos". They really didn't show much of the interface and from what people COULD see, it looked like Apple actually stripped out some really useful blocks from the editing window. They're also being kind-of tight-lipped about the editing capabilities of the new application.

A lot of people really don't care about iCloud because they haven't used it yet. They'll probably care more once it's shoved down their throats - that's usually how Apple's in-house software works: "Try it, you'll like this!" ... A lot of the forum talk was by so-called "professionals" and sure enough, many people have called out those "professionals" on those forum and blog posts for taking so much time to criticize this direction while it's still in the very early stages.

There's also that slightly annoying thing Apple does where occasionally: a software or OS update will break an application completely. Only an OS rollback fixes those sorts of things. Hopefully Apple won't pull that this time.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As an Adobe addict, I'm sad to hear about loss of competition. But for those Adobe haters Capture One is a really good product, and I picked up their express version free because they were giving away codes after a trade show. Great RAW engine and, in some ways better than ACR. And I'm pretty biased to Adobe so C1 is probably really good.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I'm curious to see what the new app will be able to do. I don't think it's time to panic or complain until we actually get some solid information on what features/tools it offers (hopefully it's not a repeat of the FCP X introduction where features weren't added back until after the initial release).

I've looked at LR a few times and always preferred Aperture's tools, UI, and integration with the rest of the system. We know from WWDC that Apple is still doing serious work on image processing tools at the system level and those will be available to the new app - it may still be a viable option for enthusiasts and pros... Or at the very least, Aperture will get a compatibility update for the new OS.

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
As an Adobe addict, I'm sad to hear about loss of competition. But for those Adobe haters Capture One is a really good product,

Capture One Pro and Express are 50% off at the moment (once you add them to your cart).

I dabbled with the trial version for a few weeks and at those prices decided I'll make the switch. It's not as feature rich as A3, but I find the default rending of raws pleasant enough that I find myself spending less time making adjustments with C1.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I think it is Adobe who has more to fear from this than Apple... especially as we're in no rush to move, if Aperture is working for you now, why change? It will work in the next version of Mac OS X and probably the next.

Adobe's announcement (via Mac Rumors) almost reeks of desperation. Apple have a perceived lead in the cloud-based photo editing workflow.

Given what a mess iCloud is today for basic applications and workflow, I wouldn't hold my breath. It looks like Apple is going for an iPhoto-in-the-cloud approach. That's hardly consistent with the sort of full-featured DAM/RAW editor that Aperture (or Lightroom) is.

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
Given what a mess iCloud is today for basic applications and workflow, I wouldn't hold my breath. It looks like Apple is going for an iPhoto-in-the-cloud approach. That's hardly consistent with the sort of full-featured DAM/RAW editor that Aperture (or Lightroom) is.

I *hope* that a powerful editing programme still to be released (possibly features in Photos hidden from those who don't want them) will access the library in the cloud.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with how this relates to image editing. I wouldn't say iCloud is a "mess" either. It works as it's intended to. They just got rid of a lot of the front-ends and made all of the iCloud software communicate transparently. It's much slicker than the old me.com or mac.com system.

As far as I know, you will still be able to keep your photos locally stored. I'm not sure how the draw-down to iCloud will work. Some seem to think the system will upload a low-resolution copy up to the cloud so you can edit it non-destructively on an iDevice. Once you get back to your workstation, those cumulative edits are just a language applied to the high-resolution file you have stored.

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
Thinking about it, it's not very practical immediately uploading 12MB+ RAW files (up to 45 each from Sigma Foveons). Makes sense main library will still be local with smaller files uploaded to cloud for mobile consumption

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

Latest threads

Top Bottom