Apple HEIC image format.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thought I would try placing the 12mm lens close to the feeders with a black canvas background. To coax the hummers, I put a toy bird on the E-M1 Mark II as a decoy. Figured I'd use an iPad Pro tablet (in the cooler house as it was 108 degrees outside) and fire the thing remotely with the Olympus Image Share app and shutter in Silent low-speed mode of 15 shots. Camera was cooking in the heat, but it kept going.

The app worked well and the camera and tablet ran solid on Wi-Fi for an hour or more, given the critters seem to refuel every 20 minutes pending any territory fights over the feeders. I had hopes of capturing some of their fights so it was why I used the wide-angle 12mm close up (About 16" distance to feeders.).

However, I thought the iPad was showing me soft images as I had the camera originally at 9" so I back it off to 16 inches. Turns out Apple has began using a HEIC high-compression format since iOS 11 which is a lot more compressed than JPG, maybe 25% or more compressed.

Surprisingly, the images out of the camera were far sharper so it wasn't a suspected distance problem, but an iPad problem. Trying to open the file back on a Windows laptop to edit required a converter (iMazing HEIC Converter) to JPG/PNG. Quality was really poor once converted or up-rezzed to a JPG. Not crazy about the Apple HEIC format overall as it seems contrasty in the highlights, soft, and just too much image loss to regain on editing even with its own camera.

I now know that the iPad Olympus Image Share app's screen is a lot softer and appears out of focus verses what the camera is really doing. Whew!

Top image is a converted HEIC from the iPad's camera to shoot the setup. Second is out of the E-1 Mark 2 with the 12mm and cropped.

iPad-photo-of-feeders.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

8157258.JPEG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• _8157258_DxO 2-sharpen-focus lemur 887.JPEG
    _8157258_DxO 2-sharpen-focus lemur 887.JPEG
    185.9 KB · Views: 73
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom