Apple & DNGs from Olympus E-M5

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Stubb, May 6, 2012.

1. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    Aperture & Finder happily read DNGs created from dpreview's Olympus E-M5 sample raw files created with Adobe DNG Converter v6.7.0.339. But when I tried the same exact conversion on raw files from my E-M5, it complains about an unsupported image format. Has anyone been able to get this working? If so, how?

—Andreas

2. clockwise

clockwise Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    New York, NY
    Brian R
    Bump. I've got the same question. If anybody has an answer, it would be much appreciated.

Brian

3. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    I've posted this question on Adobe's DNG support forum and Apple's Aperture discussion forum. So far…crickets. I just posted the question to the Aperture Facebook page.

—Andreas

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Shoot RAW+JPEG until Aperture is updated?

5. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    This happens for every new camera. Usually, RAW support comes 2-3 months after any new camera is released (with some exceptions, such as the D800 which had support very shortly after release). In the interim, either shoot JPEG, RAW+JPEG, or use the software included in the box to convert RAW to TIFF, or adobe's ACR 6.7 to convert to DNG.

6. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    Have you gotten DNG conversion to work?

—Andreas

7. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
  8. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    I've only used the no-charge DNG converter, which now supports raw files from the E-M5. The problem is that Lion doesn't understand the resulting DNGs. Strange since I used Adobe DNG Converter to get raw support for my E-3 in Aperture for the first few months.

—Andreas

9. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    Turns out that DNG is useless for interim Apple support of mu-4/3 cameras since Adobe DNG Converter creates linear DNGs from such images, which Apple does not support.

—Andreas

10. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Is Aperture your final post-processing software or do you use an editing program downstream of Aperture? I imagine that Photoshop Elements updated with ACR 6.7 will open EM-5 RAW image files directly.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Are you sure that is the issue? I've just tried DNG Converter 7.1RC with sample E-M5 ORFs and the resulting DNG is not linear (it's still mosaicked), but the files still won't open with any Apple program.

DH

12. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    Can't say for sure, and I ran across claims that ORFs (and the DNGs created from them) vary considerably depending on the lens type. DNGs created from dpreview's studio scene ORFs render just fine in Aperture. They were shot using the Olympus 50 f/2.0 macro. But I've had no luck with images using my m4/3 lenses or F-mount Sigma 180 macro.

Looks like I can rule out user error since you're having the same problem. I had been hoping that I was doing something wrong :smile:

—Andreas

13. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    Yeah, Aperture has been my all-in-one organizing and processing software for the last six years. It provides a brilliant workflow despite its frustrations. I downloaded a trial of Lightroom 4.1 RC 2, and it rendered the images just fine, but it was disappointing to see the same modal interface, referenced file management, and UI abominations that turned me off in 2006. Apple evidently doesn't have to work very hard on Aperture thanks to incompetent competition :frown:

I'll likely muddle forward shooting RAW+JPEG and sort things out when Apple gets around to shipping official support.

—Andreas

14. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    IF Apple gets around to shipping official support. Let's hope they think the EM-5 is worthy of their time- I've given up waiting for RAW support for my EX-1 after almost two years of waiting.

15. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I think the probability of Apple supporting the E-M5 is 100%, adjusted to 99.99999% to account for the chance that California sinks into the ocean.

But it will still take a month for the patch to arrive.

Additionally, Apple isn't the only party capable of adding delay. It could well be that Olympus hasn't been prompt about providing specifications. Likewise, Sony could have decided to never supply specifications for the EX-1. My point is that it takes two to tango.

16. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Horses for courses. As an early adopter of Lightroom, I'm very comfortable and satisfied with it; it just keeps getting better and better. When I recently made the switch to the Mac platform, I considered Aperture - for about ten seconds. Apple's reputation for painfully infrequent updates just put an additional nail in the coffin. Would be interesting to see statistics on LR vs. Aperture sales.

17. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    People said the same about the EX-1 two years ago, when it was regarded as an incredibly capable compact camera.

Samsung provided .srw specs for their other cameras, so I don't see any benefit for omitting that one.

Of course it could be another party contributing to the issue. But the more I watch Apple the less I trust them to have my best interests as a photographer at heart, unless I'm using an iPhone.

18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Eh, I went from Aperture -> LR and it wasn't so bad. I still don't like the module interface, but I much prefer direct access to my images in management in addition to collections (and at times, smart collections). Not sure if Aperture has these now, but back then, LR edged it out some for me. That and LR ran a whole lot faster.

But the vast improvements in LR4 in editing has kept LR going really. It's a big improvement it seems.

The other benefit is I can use LR on either Windows or OS X. It's why I moved to it, went back to Windows and needed cross compatibility.

19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    what the heck is an ex-1?... I have no doubt it is a perfectly capable camera... but as someone who reads a lot of forums and tech info, the fact I have never heard of it may explain the lack of support in Aperture.

Apple's decision to support a camera is based on them making a value judgement on whether the time and expense of developing the software needed to support a particular camera is justified

supporting a camera is not a matter of reading from a spec sheet... the the camera manufacturers don't actually reveal to Apple what their RAW format is doing... they have to reverse engineer the results to get a optimum result.

regarding sales of aperture v lightroom... its likely lightroom is well ahead on sales... just because its available on both platforms...

K

20. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    eh... sounds like you gave up on Aperture 1.0... which is 5 years old.....Aperture allows you to create smart albums/collections, organise the images how and where you want.

As an aside .. a whole bunch of the 'new' features of LR4 were in Aperture 3 which came out 18 months ago.

I have no problem with people making choices of software... but i do object to people spreading disinformation

K