Apple discontinuing Aperture development

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by allenrowand, Jun 27, 2014.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Ouch is right. I really don't want LR. But with luck they will add the Aperture features to iPhoto. Or maybe I am dreaming...
  2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    That's too bad. I am working with LR right now and getting used to it, but as a power user of OSX/iOS/iCloud I would have been willing to look seriously at Aperture if there had ever been a new version.
  3. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    At least Apple will update Aperture to run on Yosemite, and is supposedly working with Adobe on a way to transition to Lightroom.

I moved away from Aperture a while ago but I still think this bites.
  4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    It's always nice to have an alternative even if it's inferior (by some people's opinion). But I understand Apple's move to consolidate their pro and consumer photography applications.
  5. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I will continue using Aperture until the Photos software is released and then consider my options. I understand that existing Aperture libraries will be able to be imported into the new application, I just hope that the new Photos has the features I need otherwise I will move on.
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Unfortunately saw the writing on the wall when Photos was announced. It's too bad, because Adobe needs some competition.
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 9
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm not an Aperture user, but I'm struggling to see how a mass market photo sharing app can possibly even come close to what a workflow rawfile management tool can do. Have Apple lost their mind! I think the guys at Adobe will be cracking open the champagne tonight.
  9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    He makes some interesting points about how different things are than they were just 10 years ago, but it's a bit of a reach to say that they had to give up Aperture because the code base was old. They could have rewritten the code to do all the new stiff that Photos does while still keeping the core and advanced features of Aperture.

Make no mistake, shelving Aperture is a marketing decision, not a technology one. Photos will likely evolve to be a great tool for everyone from hacks to serious amateurs, but Apple is clearly conceding the pro market.
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    If they implement this like recent Apple software (FCP, iWork suite), Photo will be missing key features in the first iteration, but will be decent within 18 months. As a LR user and confirmed Apple fan boy, I'll look at switching over once they bring in competitive features.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great opportunity for Capture One here.
  12. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    From Joseph's article posted by Kevin, this is exciting and interesting -
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    It's true. While I'll consider Lightroom, it'll be a non-starter if I have to do the subscription thing. But I'm not doing anything until Photo comes out and I have a chance to check it out. If it does raw well enough, I might be able to get by on it. After all, I'm not making money from my photography.
  14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    this looks like an official Apple image..if its a fake its a pretty damned good one....looking down the right hand side I see a pretty comprehensive set of tools for image manipulation... this doesn't look like a dumbed down app to my eyes... it looks like the processing side of Aperture reimagined

• Like Like x 4
  15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    To me the most interesting thing about Aperture has been its digital asset management - I guess it is what matter most to me. I use Lightroom primarily for its DAM capabilities - its library far more than it develop module. Raw converters in themselves are pretty much ten a penny. So it is very interesting to see the way Apple is heading with its new iphotos product. They clearly envisage cloud storage for your photos with all your photos always available on your devices.

Whether that would work for me is a different matter. Cost is an issue - Apple charges US$2 a GB while a hard disk works out at 10 cents a GB - and with well over 1TB that is an issue. Then of course there is that natural suspicion of the cloud - someone else looking after your photos. Also I have never ever had any desire to access my raw files from my ipad (which is synced to the last 2000 photos in LR) or my mobile phone.
  17. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Thanks for some of the links to aperture expert and thom hogan....Good interesting perspectives and I'm definitely going wait and watch this one out until the new photos app becomes available.
  18. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    So glad I ditched Aperture months ago. The writing was on the wall for well over a year. After the way Apple screwed their Aperture customers, I will not consider any their "future" photography apps. I might even completely walk away from Apple.
  19. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    As reported in the article, Aperture will be updated to work in Yosemite so you will be able to continue using it for some time to come. It’s not that Aperture will stop working, it’s just that development will officially cease. In fact, development of Aperture all but stopped when it became available in the Mac App Store for $80. At that price point it seemed likely Apple would no longer be committing serious resources to it. The writing has been on the wall for a few years now - if anyone cared to read it.

You can continue to use Aperture for as long as it will work. This should be for at least a few years. In the mean time you can try out the new photo app and see how it works and matures. If it doesn't have the tools you need let Apple know. You can also check out Adobe Lightroom, capture one, It's not like you have to stop using Aperture tomorrow. You have time. So sit back and take a deep breath and let's see what the photos app is all about.
    • Like Like x 1