Apple bringing RAW editing to iOS and Aperture upgrades

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dornblaser, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    You can edit RAW in iPhoto right now I'm pretty sure, least on ipad

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    You can only edit in JPEG in iPhoto on the iPAD currently. If you pick a RAW file it will convert it. You can edit in RAW in iPhoto on a Mac.

3. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    Damn, didn't realize it was converting the RAW to jpg thank you for enlightening me.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That is why I shoot JPEG + RAW. I do a cull and some post on the JPEGs on my iPad so that I can send off/share versions remotely and then do a more intensive cull and post on my Mac.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    A key thing to remember/understand is that the all the Apple apps leverage technologies built into the operating system... Aperture and iphoto are just two different skins on the same underlying capabilites. Similarly imovie and final cut, Garageband and Logic.

It wasn't always this way, but thats the path Apple have been striving towards

the OS on your iphone shares a lot under the hood with the mac OS.

What we are seeing at this developer conference is a continuing process of bringing the two platforms closer together in terms of capabilities.

Adjust exposure to a value on your photo in iphoto on an iPad, and I bet it would look the same as if your did it on iphoto or aperture on the mac

Thats because it isn't the app thats making the changes... its the OS

the positive thing I have seen coming out of the Developer Conference is that Core Image, the bit of the OS that handles images, has seen developments in the RAW space, including lens correction, noise reduction, and most importantly a method/framework where a third party can apply a filter at the raw decode stage of the process. What does that mean you ask?... well it means your favourite plug in eg Nik could become non destructive... no round trip to Nik and a new uneditable TIFF

I think this is why there hasn't been an major Aperture update... they have been waiting for this. I am sure there will be a new Aperture... and I think Adobe will struggle to replicate this as they have to write their code for 2 platforms and cant take full advantage of the cool stuff build into their OS

If you need further proof on just how intricate and powerful the elements of the Apple OS's have become watch the Introduction to SceneKit video here

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2014/

this is stuff smart programming guys can access for free

cheers

K

• Like Like x 5
  6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Love using Aperture but miss the lens correction abilities and nondestructive plugins. If Aperture 4 gets those features I'd be happy as a bug in a rug...