1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Apple Aperture?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, Jan 13, 2012.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I would like opinions of Apple Aperture vs. Adobe products and others.. I find Aperture very good and friendly .. I have had many.. I also hear some Big TIme Pros that say they switched to Aperture and mostly quit using all others - except for some plug- ins like Nik Software etc... Ken Rockwell as an example.. :smile: what's your two cents? I know there are a lot of anti Apple folks but.. hey.. this is 2102.. LOL.. I think if you have or try a iMac with high resolution screen and Aperture as well, you will throw ROCKS at your Adobe etc systems.. :smile: please don't kill me for this post.. LOL
    Doug

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't use Aperture and I'm a HUGE Apple user. I made the switch to Lightroom a few years back mostly because Aperture really did not perform well on lower power machines (I use a first gen aluminum Macbook). In terms of better worse...well it really depends what you're after. They are both good. I like some things about Aperture and other things about Lightroom. At this point they are so similar I don't see that switching would be worth the hassle. If you're coming from iPhoto them Aperture will be a much smoother transition.

3. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    I use Aperture 3.2 with the Nik Software "Complete Collection" plugins. I'm happy with both and haven't had any issues with workflow. Before purchasing Aperture, I demoed both it and Lightroom for 30 days. Very similar applications and you can easily find many discussions comparing them. My choice of Aperture was simply one of it being more intuitive for me. But, if you have experience with PhotoShop (I really don't) and Adobe's way of doing things, then perhaps you'll feel at home with Lightroom. The one big difference is ease of platform migration. If you use Lightroom for your Mac, switching down the road to a PC shouldn't be an issue. If you use Aperture and want to switch to a PC later on, you'll have work to do if you want to move your photo library over.

Just read dixeyk's reply. Yes, horsepower helps. I had a 2008 PowerBook when I was demoing both programs, and I noticed Lightroom was faster than Aperture. That was my only temptation to go with Lightroom. But then over the summer my PowerBook died and I upgraded to a 2011 MacBook Pro upgraded to 8GB RAM and things work nicely.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I like aperture a lot, but I use it mostly as an organizer, basic raw processor, and a front end for Nik plug-ins. I don't tend to do much editing beyond the basic raw processing with it. But I did everything with it for many months before discovering Nik and it did well enough.

-Ray

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I will say that as organizing your collection is something I find much simpler in Aperture. I think it's tools for that are a bit better than those in Lightroom.

6. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    I totally agree and had the same post processing evolution.

7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I have never seen anyone that had a PC/Windows and then tried iMac/Apple going back to a PC/Windows application.. it just doesn't happen often.." once you go Mac, you never go back".. LOL Windows/PC apps and computers are getting overwhelmed by Apple/Mac.. sorry to say.. look at the stats..

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

YEs..I switched 7 years ago and have never looked back.I have installed window7 on my macbook and can essentially run every thing I want . Macs are very user-friendly and fun to use . All window laptops accumulate loads of clutter over period of time .
    Cheers

9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes.. I have a high end HP Windows computer at my office.. I get on that relic and it's like WOW.. this is a old style machine compared to my MacBook Pro or iMac.. I need to replace it.. no offense to Windows... but they are slipping fast.. plus I was a Microsoft guy for 25 yrs.. not now..

10. Bhupinder2002

Exactly. they lose their charm very quickly . My wife used to be scared of laptops and now after using macbook , she is a guru on apple products and convinced many of her friends to switch over .People used to have some phobia about mac but its all gone now . I wish if they add some more things into their hardware otherwise I am a very happily satisfied customer ..
    Cheers

11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Ya.. I had the phobia as well.. then.. I tried the Apple/Mac and after a few days, it was like.. where have I been.. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use Aperture and I've used LR. I don't think that there is a significant difference in the final image between Aperture and LR. I also don't think that one program is significantly easier than the other. I use a ton of Adobe products (industry standards). I don't like the interfaces in Adobe products, I don't like how Adobe throws files all over the hard drive, I don't like the memory demands and I don't like a company which markets a product(s) with so many minor and major negatives, charging an arm and a leg, existing on the laurels of the past. So I use Aperture.

G

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

I have different approach , I love challenges , I love to know and explore about new things, new places , new people and find my own way . One more crazy thing I used to do was - never read any manual of any thing I buy. I used to figure out myself but somehow I have started looking at camera manuals to know few things which I won't be able to pick up. But still I never consult manuals for majority of things .ANyway I have aperture 3 and I love it But my Olympus EPL2 JPEGs are great and I love them as such . I am not a RAW shooter so is okay for me.
    Cheers

14. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Aperture here. I use Pixelmator as the external editor if I need to perspective correct.

Aperture requires a newer graphics card as it shunts a lot of the donkey work on the GPU. If you have a newish mac with 8 gig of memory it's perfect.

Hardly have to think about using it, which I like.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, Adobe falling way behind with R&D in the total company... they look like they may end up like Lotus 123.. do you remember them? LOL

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Aahhh Lotus, and Visicalc!!! LOL

G

17. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho

18. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    Good memories, thanks MrDoug. I worked on a software to emulate Lotus 1-2-3 on the Apple IIc/e as my first job. Been at Apple ever since! As for the this thread, you can guess I prefer Aperture! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Apple iPhone, iPod, iMac, MacBook Pro/Air and Aperture plus others all in the same boat.. Awesome.. they are leaving the competition in the Dust..I just hope Tim Cook can keep it going as good as Steve Jobs..we shall see..:smile:

20. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    Steve's vision will keep Apple going for quite some time. Hopefully we have enough talented folks here to keep things rolling for quite some time to come.