1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Apple and Aperture

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by noelh, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Apple fan here, but might be in for a disappointment. Aperture with Nik plug-ins are my image processing software of choice. Rumors are with Yosemite OS, no Aperture. Probably no iPhoto based on the iOS8 upgrade on the iPad. Apple consolidating the photo software into one program ,Photos?

Anyone know if the rumors are just rumors or fact?

2. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
  3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
  4. Thanks for the link. Will be disappointed if the OS version of Photos is similar to the iOS version. Sure hope Aperture + Nik will function with the Yosemite OS.

5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Aperture will function with Yosemite. Based on very limited information I would not rule out Photos as a viable alternative either.

We'll see. Personally I am going to use Aperture until it doesn't function.

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Indeed don't panic and jump the gun and start migrating to LR or Capture One. Hold what you got and lets all see just how Photos will work and how Nik, OnOneSoftware, and other plugin companies will create "plugins" for it.

7. chimopaul

chimopaul New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2014
    I am currently using Aperture with the public beta of Yosemite.

8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I'm also an Aperture user and have been since it's original release. I also bought into Lightroom since it's release but am on LR4 and had no interest in upgrading to LR5.

With Apple's original announcement that they were killing off Aperture and iPhoto with the soon to be released Photos app, I was hoping that it would lean more towards Aperture but it seems Photos will be more of a consumer friendly app.

In any case, I believe Aperture will still function under Yosemite so no rush to move to a different app but I am looking at alternatives since Aperture will no longer get updates and support. For now, still using and enjoying Aperture but will continue to research Capture One, Optics Pro, Iridient Developer and a few others.

9. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Apple have said they will release a version of Aperture to work with Yosemite but will not be developing it further. There is information about "Photos" (bad name!) that tends to show it will be at least as capable as Aperture for editing but nothing about the DAM side that I have seen.

10. Happy to hear Yosemite OS will allow use of Aperture. Hope Yosemite OS Photos is not the iOS 8 Photos. The kick in the butt will be when the next gen mu43 bodies become available and no RAW Aperture support.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Does this mean that Apple will now be able to copyright the words Photo/Photos?

12. Jesse_S

Jesse_S Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Aperture isn't like Lightroom when it comes to Raw files. On Macs, the ability to read the various RAW files is built into the operating system and updated through Software Update in the App Store, that's why iPhoto, Preview and Quicklook can read them (and the OS can create thumbnails). If Aperture still runs, it should be able to read any RAW files that Yosemite can.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Nope. The words "photo" or "photos" can't be copyrighted. A word like "iPhoto" can.

14. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    That not the problem for me. The trouble is with names like this is that you cannot search usefully on them. There are a number of daft camera names that are similar -- the 1 in Nikon 1 series for example.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Apple was granted a patent for the shape which defines a rectangle: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...wars-new-twist-granted-rights-iPad-shape.html.

There is nothing to say that they won't try to patent the word 'photo' in some form or another. Remember, the patent or copyright will apply to the word Photo as it applies to their new program; but if granted, then it may potentially be used to litigate anyone using the word photo in a photo editing program name, in order not to confuse the customer when trying to identify the Apple Photo from a Photoshop. Insaner things have happened.

16. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
  17. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    • Like Like x 1
  18. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    I'm a Aperture user, together with Nik software. If this new interface works with Nik software I'm happy. Although the interface doesn't look "professional" it looks easy to use and with the possibilities to make finer corrections, so Apple let's finish it and bring it to all the Mac users. I can't wait . . . Tried it a little on the IPad and like it . . .

19. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    +1 here!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I'm currently resisting change and still using Aperture since its asset management tools are much better than anything else out there. I have used Capture One and Lightroom but it's just not the same. I will probably be changing my workflow in the next year or so to Lightroom with a Photo Mechanic opener which I've used before but I just hope Aperture keeps running until a major revision in OSX. Lightroom unfortunately runs really slow for me so I'm not looking forward to processing in Lightroom even though I'm familiar with all the shortcuts.