1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Apple´s Aperture discontinued: where to move??

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JoFT, Jan 21, 2016.

1. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I work since roughly 7 years with Aperture. My file has 280GB and there are >120k images stored....

I love tho work with Aperture: It is fast and the image rendering is great: I do love the aperture rendering more than the Adobe one. I have installed as well Lightroom as DXO Optics Pro..

Photos has too much inherent changes to work seamless...

Who has experience in migrating aperture to another software package?
    What can someone recommend!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I am astonished: I am alone with this problem???

3. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I wouldn't say you were alone, but you may have been left behind.

I believe many users made the switch fairly early after Apple announced in March 2015 they would be retiring Aperture.
    A lot of users seemed to take the plunge with LR, and is the workflow so different?
    I too, have used DxO previously, and whilst I liked the final output, I found it far too cumbersome, to say the least.

To migrate from Aperture:
    1. In Lightroom, go to File > Plug-in Extras > Import from Aperture Library.
    2. Select the location of your Aperture library and choose a new location for your images.
    3. Click the Options button if you want to change any settings prior to migration.
    4. Click the Import button to start the migration.
    More information on making the move to LR can be found on the Adobe site here:
    Adobe Lightroom

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I loved Aperture, finally went reluctantly to Lightroom. Became fairly proficient, but dislike the interface, dealing with Adobe and other things. Have now moved to Capture One Pro 9, which I like. Not pleasant or easy to start over, but I think it is worth it. Lots of youtube videos and webinars from Capture One to help.
    I looked at DxO OpticsPro, which was interesting, but we just didn't bond.
    Derrick Story (thedigitalstory.com) had been Aperture promoter/user/blogger/lynda.com tutor, and he has also just switched to Capture One, is writing about it and has created a lynda.com series on it (soon to go online). It doesn't have millions of plugins and sellers of presets/training/etc, which is liberating. I can now ignore much of the internet's "how I use Lightroom to wax my car..." stuff. Amazingly, it is possible to process well with just one program :) Nothing is perfect.
    It can, BTW, import Aperture catalogs.
    Everyone's mileage varies, so try the 30-day trial. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    It was announced over a year ago that it was being scrapped without plans for any future updates. Most people moved to Lightroom/Photoshop CC with a few going to other programs like Capture One Pro 9 or iPhotos. If it's the initial rendering thats bugging you with Lightroom, many feel that Capture One's is better. I find that I almost never go with the initial rendering for anything, so just sticking with Lightroom till I have to make a commitment.

6. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I have read about this, but as fare as I have read about the experience that it is not seamless....

There are a couple of topics which keeps me away from it:
    • Rendering: For me a bit too much
    • Choosing a new location for my images this is a bigger topic: we are talking about 3.somthing Terabyte...
    • I do have some series of photos were I have couples of images: RAW & JPG: which was very smart@ aperture:
    How did you handle this?

7. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Thank You rick. It sounds pretty interesting: What´s about speed: is capture one really fast?

8. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I was an Aperture user since v1.0. In the end I just accepted it for what it was - abandoned - and switched to LR. TBH, it's just a case of getting used to it. I moved about 1.5TB in the end, though recent heavy culling has dropped this below 1TB now.

There are ways to do most (all?) things - it's just different and requires a little bit of un-learning the Aperture way and learning the LR way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If you want a program with a digital asset manager (DAM) that does non destructive editing...much the same kind of thing as in Aperture....then there are two main alternatives: Lightroom and Capture One Pro. With Lightroom you can likely reuse any plugins you had with Aperture (Nik, Topaz, Macphun, Photoshop, OnOne,..etc.) to do round trips from the the program to a plugin and back. With C1P you can not do an integrated roundtrip to a plugin and back. Lightroom has tools to help import the Aperture library. I don't think that C1P has tools for migrating from Aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    FWIW C1P does have round trip with some plug-ins. It works fine with the Nik suite but not with MacPhun's Tonality CC. I moved to C1P when I shot Fuji because LR wasn't very good at dealing with Fuji RAW files. At this point I don't see anything that could convince me to go back to LR.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I found LR very slow at opening, viewing new images, closing/backup/saving; pretty quick when editing. I find Capture One is faster overall. Capture One is more like Aperture in that you are not having to switch Modules to do things- so many times i found I was trying to do something in LR in the wrong Module (got to switch back from Editing Module to Library Module, etc; I also found the need to be in thumbnail view to "select all" was always a PITA. I just never got used to it. Many obviously seem to do so.
    As I mentioned above, it does have a process for migrating from Aperture, and from Lightroom :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    DarkTable and DigiKam are also options, both are free and open source.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Can either DarkTable or DigiKam do an integrated round trip to plugins such as those from Nik, Topaz, Macphun, Adobe, or OnOne? If not, then those are not really replacements for Aperture if the OP is using plugins.

• Like Like x 1
  14. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Why the comments about problems "…Choosing a new location for my images…".

You can maintain two types of library for your files in Aperture, a managed library or a referenced library. In the managed library the original file of each image aren't stored as individual files in a folder system but as data within a database system. In the referenced library the original file for each image is stored as a separate file within a folder structure.

Lightroom uses a referenced library system and if your Aperture library is a referenced library you don't have to move anything at all, you can just tell Lightroom to "import" the existing library. Importing doesn't move or change anything, it's just the term used to describe adding the files to the Lightroom Catalogue which is where data related to editing changes is stored. Ditto for any other processing program. You don't have to move the image files, just make sure the new application you move to knows where the files are.

If you're using a managed library in Aperture then you're going to have to export the data for the original image files to a folder structure before you can access the files in any non-Apple editing program whether that be Lightroom or something else. That's because only Apple software can read the proprietary Apple database used by Aperture.

I was using a managed library when I changed from Aperture to Lightroom several years ago, before Adobe added the option to import an Aperture Library to Lightroom, so I had to do everything manually by getting Aperture to export all of the original data files to a referenced folder structure and then I "imported" that library into Lightroom. I can still access all of my old files, pre my change to Lightroom, in Aperture with all of the edits I did with Aperture, and I can access the same files in Lightroom with Lightroom edits. Edits in one application don't carry over to other applications because the editing algorithms used are different and one program can't read another program's instructions.

The bottom line is simple. At some point in the future Apple computers aren't going to support Aperture because it will no longer be compatible with the OS. Whether you are using a managed or referenced library in Aperture you are going to have to move to another program at some time so you are going to have to bite the bullet. If you're using a managed library in Aperture and you don't make the change before Aperture stops working on your computer, they you're in trouble. Unless you can find an application which can extract image file data directly from the Aperture library without using Aperture or someone writes software which can read the Aperture library database directly and extract the original image file data from it, you will have lost all of your images because you will no longer be able to use Aperture to extract the data.

So, to be perfectly clear, there are no problems about choosing a new location for your files if you're using a referenced library structure with Aperture. You just use the existing library. You will have to move your original image files to a new location if you are using a managed library structure with Aperture but you are going to have to do that anyway at some time before Aperture stops working because it's no longer compatible with the OS. The only reason to put off the process of choosing a new location is because you still haven't chosen what processing application you're moving to. If you haven't made that choice you need to be thinking about it very seriously because Apple may not give much warning about when they intend "breaking" Aperture. They have already said that at some time in the future the Mac OS will no longer support Aperture so they have already put you on notice. They've given their warning and you ignore it at your peril.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    David: Thank You a lots about that detailed Statement. The "Breaking" of Aperture is one topic, Not using El Capitan another one. My Aperture Library is mostly Referenzed but some images are managed, f.i. Fotostream: does LR Öffners automatic Fotostream Import??

16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    As far as I know, LR does not offer automatic Fotostream/PhotoStream support. I've never used PhotoStream but I can find no mention of it in any of my books on Lightroom and I think that's a good indication that it isn't supported.

There are probably quite a few reasons for not using El Capitan but Aperture compatibility isn't one of them. Aperture is supported in El Capitan. Of course, if you're not upgrading to El Capitan you can continue to run with whatever version of the OS you currently have and continue to use Aperture without problems until you either choose to upgrade your OS to a version which doesn't support Aperture (always provided your machine will run that version of the OS) or the computer you're using dies. Continuing to run Aperture on a machine which doesn't get OS updates is an option with only one problem. RAW support for cameras is an OS function on the Mac and so camera RAW updates are OS updates. Not updating the OS means that at some point you will stop being able to get Camera RAW updates and once that happens any new model camera you buy isn't going to be supported. You will be able to get around that by converting the RAW files to Adobe's DNG format which is supported by Aperture.

If most of your Aperture library is referenced then I'd seriously start considering moving all of your managed images into the referenced library as well.

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Exactly!

You can find help on migrating from Aperture to LR on the Lightroom forums. Probably the best single site for LR help. Lightroom Forums

18. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    I've started using Photos for all but my serious work. Its a bit better, easier for the wife to use for our family photos. But I'd hate to have to do paid work (unfortunately, I do very little paid work any more anyway). Apple giving up Aperture... just pisses me off. :(

LR is typical Adobe, the interface sucks and its slow. But the odds of them abandoning LR is very very close to 0. And its supported on Mac and Windows both. It has that going for it. Not well versed in Capture One but its reputation is stellar. I've heard rumors that Affinity is looking into doing a DAM software to go along with their Photo program (a very good inexpensive Photoshop replacement). I'm hoping this comes to fruition.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I've always liked Serif (Affinity's Developers/Publishers) If they came up with a decent manager workflow tool (they've got a mediocre one for PCs, or they did, I haven't looked in a while). That might make me consider leaving the Windows environment for Mac. But right now, the selections for PCs are still a bit broader than for the Mac.

• Like Like x 1
  20. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I am definitely in the same camp with the OP... I've used Aperture since day one and have been generally OK with it to date. My biggest quibbles are: the RAW engine for Olympus files and noise reduction.

When Apple opened up Photos to developers this past Fall, I was hoping for a lot more activity by now. So far Affinity and MacPhun have developed extensions which are a good start. The 'round trip' is easy and the edits are non-destructive.

In theory Photos plus extensions could become pretty powerful. In the meantime I'm also experimenting with DarkTable, which has the advantage of being free, has a very good RAW converter, and just gets better and better with each new release.

• Like Like x 1