appearing to delete photos

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vtmullins, Jul 30, 2011.

1. vtmullins

vtmullins Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    Hey all,
    I am needing to take some pictures (w/ my EP-2) of protests down here in Haiti. However, there have been reports of the powers that be confiscating cameras and deleting the photos. My question: could i set it so that i shoot in jpeg and raw but have it delete only jpg? Then if i am forced to go through photos and delete them, would it appear that i deleted the image but the raw would remain w/out a preview?

I was able to find where the erase jpg+raw/raw only/jpg only option is, but i cant figure out the shooting in duplicate part. (right now ive got the shooting in raw part down, along with setting it to erase jpg, but when i put the card in the comp, lightroom doesnt have the picture). Also, I dont know if it would look like i deleted everything. Would somebody mind connecting the dots for me, w/ very specific instructions?

Also any other suggestions? I am aware of some image recovery software but am wondering about the effectiveness. I also will bring an extra sd card to switch out when I can. Thanks so much!
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Image recover on an SD card can be VERY effective. I've used SANDISK Rescue Pro, and as long as it's not over written, you can get your pics back. Maybe carry more than one SD card, so if you are stopped and forced to "erase" you can shoot latter on the other card?

Sorry I don't know an answer to your first question.
  3. vtmullins

vtmullins Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    Great, thanks for the tip about not overwriting. Probably would have screwed that up!
  4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    If you are looking at recovery, delete, don't format.

Carry a number of SC cards in your shoes or somewhere. Periodically change your cards so when stopped you may not lose all the images.
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    BTW, no picture is worth dying for.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Loved the old CD/XD dual card slots for that. Just save all your images on XD, and most people won't even notice it's there when they see the big CF card in the slot. ;)
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Please be aware that the suggestions provided in this thread are personal opinions/advice related to the technical aspects of the question asked and provided in good faith. does not condone nor advise taking images that contravene the direct instructions or laws of Authorities.
    • Like Like x 1