Appearance of olympus 45mm rear cap?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hazwing, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I picked up a oly 45mm from ebay. The rear cap is different from my rear caps on other lenses, it seems rather plain, has no logo and doesn't screw into the back of of the lens.

I did a google image search, most of the rear caps seem to be ones with an olympus logo on it. However a few do seem similar to the rear cap I have.

Is this normal? (see photos attached) Or did I get dud rear cap, for some reason...

Attached Files:

2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's the same rear cap that comes with the 14-42mm zoom lens when you buy it in a kit.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    My O45mm has the proper Olympus screw on rear cap. It has "Olympus", "Open", "Close" text, and the M4/3 Logo on it. Not like the plain push on caps that came with the kit lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I can't remember which cap type came on my 45mm, but I have both types from proper Olympus stuff so ... don't fret about it.
    (I've had very nice m4/3rds rear caps from HongKong e-bay shops for next to no money so there's an option.)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I've had both kinds of rear caps arrive with Olympus stuff too.

Sadly you seem to have gotten one of the crapy caps this time. But as someone else said you can pick up m43 caps (copies) real real cheap on eBay.
  6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have had various Oly lenses with a mixture of both types of cap
    The bayonet (twist on) type is much better but the plain ones are fitted on quite a lot of Olympus lenses and although very plain and much worse for having to push them on over the lens bayonet are genuine Olympus fitment
    As others have said you can get copies on ebay which are as little as £1.50 (something similar also available on Amazon I think)
    If your 45mm lens was used you might find that the seller swapped a plain one in for the original bayonet fit one. If the listing simply said includes front and rear lens caps then you have been supplied correctly per the listing regardless
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I hate those caps they are a pain.

But yes there are plenty on Amazon, B&H, etc ranging from $3-$6.
  8. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    As others said it is the cheapo press on cap that comes with bundled kit lenses. My 45mm came with a "proper" screw on Olympus cap. You can pick up a "proper" Olympus cap for a few dollars on E-bay.

9. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
    The fleabay seller kept the original rear cap from 45mm and gave you the crappy one the comes with the kit lens.

You can buy the real rear cap for ariund $4 from Amazon I think.

10. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    My O45 also came with a real twist-on cap.
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Yes, I have to agree with Extract0r. The seller swapped caps on you. All my Oly lenses (save the 14-42IIR) came with the proper screw-on cap and not the cheapo push-on cap.
  12. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    My Oly 45mm came with a push on cap and came from Olympus direct
  13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I too got a cap like this for my 45mm, I did though buy a refurbished lens. The only other time I got a cap like this was with my 40-150 Oly zoom.

If anything- there are a ton of "proper" caps on ebay which can be had for very cheap.