1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Apparently I suck...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Zariell, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I had recently submitted a few of my toy shots into a local art show, I did this because my wife conned me into it, usually I just do my thing, and if people like it super, if not well no loss.

I just received a letter telling me all my images had been rejected. The reason for this rejection? Apparently toy photography is juvenile, my lighting is sub par, And my Olympus camera isn't up to professional standards.

Well at least I have two 11x14's and an 8x12 that I can hang on my wall... Funny how the printer and framer thought they were fantastic, they must have been humoring me.

2. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Don't take it to heart. One man's meat is another man's poison as they say. I can think of lots of artists who are highly over rated and over paid. It's just the name of the game I'm afraid :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    The one thing that's frying my bacon isn't they don't like my work, it's the Olympus crack, there is no way in hades they could tell from the print that it was made by an Olympus camera, they had to look at my blog to find out what camera I use. It should not matter one bit what camera a photographer uses, it should be the quality of the image produced.

• Like Like x 4
  4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Sounds like the art show was put on by a bunch of amateur juveniles or soccer moms that only care about the brand of the camera then :).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Just playing devils advocate here but, what's the other stuff they did accept like ?
    Not good or bad, but was it a particular style/type and perhaps yours just didn't fit IN with the a broader theme they had going on. A colorful landscape image in a room full of B&W street shots !

Just something to consider, but who knows, a different gallery with a different theme may have found your images to be perfectly suitable.

6. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I have not seen any if the other works, the theme is or shall I say was "colors".

7. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    honey, even though you have set photography back into the dark ages, your poor lighting....toy cameras and all...... I still love you.

• Like Like x 6
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I've never heard of a show rejecting a work because of the camera used. Art is about expanding horizons, not restricting it.

Perhaps your title should have read: "Apparently my camera sucks..."

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Strike while the moment is opportune!!!

You can blame it all on the wife, so head over to Amazon and get that Nikon D800E, 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200 'holy trinity' lens set. Oh, and toss in 4 or 5 SB900 speedlights to correct the sub par lighting.

:rofl:

Zariell, I wouldn't read too much into the rejection - the reasons given don't seem to be "constructive criticism".

Toy photography is a recognized specialty:

50 Beautiful Examples of Toy Photography - noupe

McCarty PhotoWorks - Toy Photography (Note that one of Brian McCarty's clients is Disney - who know a thing or three about toys and art).

Your entries may not have fit the specific requirements of what the "Art" show folks want for this particular showing - but their reasons for rejection seem...amateurish:frown:.

As you mention, though...you got some nice prints to hang.

Regards,

Jim

*Post the three entries so that we may make light of the "Art" show critics..

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Ouch. It's always annoying to be insulted by stupid people.:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Can you post the letter? I would love to see it. Normally, you get nothing. You need a thick skin to enter any sort of competition. I research what I can about the juror before entering any competition.

My favourite was the one where one of my images was used as a promotion for a competition but not one of the images that I submitted was accepted. That appeared to be the juror and owner having different opinions of the meaning of the theme.

• Like Like x 1
  12. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I shouldn't worry. I mean, would you really want your pictures associated with such an amateurist, parochial show run by people with such undue pretentions? Inclusion in this show could actually devalue the credibility of your work.

13. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I have this interesting story from when I tried to give 1x.com a go. I submitted a photo that got accepted. Because of how long it takes for them to come up with a decision, I forgot to log in again and in effect also forgot my password. I requested to make a new account and for them to delete my image. It was rejected outright the next time I submitted it (There was quite a bit of time difference between the 2 submissions). After that experience, I've learned to take other's judging/curating with a grain of salt.

My main point is that tastes of curators and art galleries (just like fashion) constantly change. What is suitable to their tastes one day may not be at other times. So one rejection should not put you down. Try submitting it somewhere else. Now, if 10 different galleries tell you the same thing, that would be a different story. :tongue: Nevertheless, beauty is still in the eyes of the beholder. :cool:

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The only comment of theirs that may or may not have merit is the sub-par lighting. Both other comments (toy photography is juvenile, and your Olympus camera doesn't meet professional standards) only destroy their own credibility and prove that they're talking out of their asses without knowing what they're talking about. So take that as vindication. Maybe you need to work on your lighting, maybe not. Either way, you know that there's nothing in that rejection that should bother you but there's one thing you might want to look at improving on.

• Like Like x 4
  15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I would have invoiced them for a reproduction fee. Free use for promotional purposes is normally a condition of acceptance, but since none of your entries were accepted........:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Good thought, but a bit late now. I'll remember it for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Having read your original post again, I'm wondering what the theme was for the competition. I avoid open competitions like the plague.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    As long as you still love me its all good :)

To all the people's comments and suggestions, I appreciate it all, as I said I could care less if they don't like my work, as everything what is good for me might suck for you, what I took offense to is them dragging my camera into the mix.

I've decided to take the high ground and just move on, at this point in my life now that I just shoot for myself is that I am the only judge of my work, and I think I'm doing just dandy. ;)

19. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    As requested here are the three offenders.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20255854@N00/8273280215/" title="Raziel by Puffer Photography, on Flickr"> 8273280215_62902dd099. "500" height="333" alt="Raziel"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20255854@N00/8323433414/" title="Raziel with the Glowing Cowl by Puffer Photography, on Flickr"> 8323433414_7f9dbd34da. "333" height="500" alt="Raziel with the Glowing Cowl"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20255854@N00/8350796803/" title="Boom Goes the Dynomite... by Puffer Photography, on Flickr"> 8350796803_61acc64ae8. "500" height="333" alt="Boom Goes the Dynomite..."></a>

• Like Like x 8
  20. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Uhm, W O W. that's all i can say. Shame on them for not accepting your work. I especially like this last one.

• Like Like x 1