1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Apparent vignetting with 17mm pancake

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by pdh, Jan 3, 2011.

1. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I've just posted this shot to my PAD blog, but while I like it a lot, to my eye there's a heavy vignetting effect apparent ... now, this may just be an accident of light, but I wondered what others thought ... shot RAW, then imported into LR3, denoised, straightened a tad, and auto-tone applied, then exported at 1024*768 ...

View attachment 155233 ]
    E-P2, 17/2.8, 1/640s, f/5, ISO320

2. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

pdh

Vignetting s all the rage! Fast lenses and wide lenses are often do have a vignetting. This does look a little over board so maybe it is the scene. Best to do some test shots on a light coloured wall that is evenly light. If it turns out you have vignetting just think of all the time you are going to save in LR not adding vignetting.

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    :smile: ok, Grant, very good ...

I was a bit surprised, I've used the 17mm a great deal and never seen it produce such an acute effect before ... I even have a physically rather deep polariser for this lens which doesn't produce vignetting at all (and wasn't on for this shot either) ...

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You could fix that in LR in a flash. I love the look but would Feather the transition a little.
    I know you got this straight from the camera but like Grant, I think your lucky.
    That's an effect I use all the time to varying degrees.

5. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Are you sure it's vignetting? Could easily be a gap in the clouds and the reflection of that on the water.

6. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    There was certainly no gap in the clouds today!

I'm not sure it's anything, russell, which is why I posted it and asked for comments ... as Streetshooter says, it works rather well, but it's an odd and unintended artifact ... one possibility that occurred to me is a failure of in-camera correction for this lens ... but that's just me thinking out loud (plus if it were that surely we'd see the same effect at the top corners) ...

anyhoo, couldn't see it in any of the other shots I took today, so probably nothing to worry about

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.