1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Appalachian Trail-Georgia

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by bluebubbleboy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    A couple of weeks ago I was able to go with some of our youth from church to do a week long hike on the Appalachian Trail. We started at the southern terminus in Georgia and hiked the first 55 miles of the trail, then finished our hike at Brasstown Bald, highest peak in Georgia. It was a great hike! If I didn't have a job and a family, I'd be really tempted to hike the whole trail. BTW, I'm grateful for my job and family. :biggrin:

The only camera equipment I brought on the hike was my GF3 and 14mm. Nice small, lightweight setup.

AT1.

2. This is a handheld exposure, so not the sharpest, but the waterfall was pretty...and refreshing!
    AT2.

3. My portable home for the week
    AT3.

AT5.

AT4.

AT6.

7. This snake greeted one of the guys as he was about to use the privy. He decided he could wait a while. :tongue:
    AT7.

8. Garry the Snail
    AT8.

9. One of the views from Brasstown Bald. There's an observatory at the top, so you can get a 360 degree view of north Georgia.
    AT9.

10. A tired and hungry group. We pounded some BBQ after this. I'm the bald guy.
    AT10.

• Like Like x 7
  2. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Gorgeous shots, Barry, #5 especially!

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very nice. I've spent some time up around that area and have done some day hikes. I'm not one for camping. 55 miles would take probably a week or more for me to do. Its beautiful in the fall.

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Great pics - shows what you can do with minimal equipment and a good eye.

I have hiked parts of the AT in Virginia and am trying to talk my wife into hiking the whole trail with me (in sections, over the next several years). She is not as interested as I am in that prospect due to the lack of beds and baths along the way ...

5. bluebubbleboy

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Thank you!

It took us 5 days to do 63 miles. We met people on the trail though that were section hiking that were doing about 18 a day.

Thanks for the nice complement! Good luck convincing your wife to do the trail! That would be so cool. My wife has no interest at all, but my 6 year old son seems to really enjoy day hikes. Maybe I can train him up right and he can go with me in a few years. :smile:

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Very nice, Barry... excellent demonstration of the capability of a very small, simple kit such as the GF3 and 14 pancake. :thumbup:

I had a GF3 for a while and decided I didn't need it, but I have missed it since selling it! :frown:

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Wonderful shots of what sounds like a fantastic trip. Images #4 and 5 really captivated me. Nice work!

8. bluebubbleboy

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Thank you, I appreciate that. I keep contemplating selling the GF3 for a G3, but I'm really kind of stuck on the smaller form factor.

Thank you for the nice comments!