Aperture settings

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by prophet, Nov 8, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    When viewing landscape photography blogs like stuckincustoms (Trey Ratcliff), I notice that the aperture, even for wide pictures, usually does not exceed f16. On my E-PL7 with the kit lens, aperture goes up to f22.

So I am wondering when I need such a small aperture, when - or if at all - I should go beyond f16 ?

2. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I rarely go beyond f11 because of diffraction. The only times a use smaller apertures is if I want a slow shutter speed to blur water or other movement, and then the blur caused by diffraction doesn't detract from the image.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    On micro four thirds cameras, f8 is usually sufficient for landscapes.

GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've used f22 for Macro shots sometimes when you need more DoF (DoF is very limited with Macro), as well as for waterfalls.

Note you loose some sharpness at high apertures (due to diffraction).

Barry

5. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Hmmm -- this might explain why some shots I took at f/16 are not that sharp. And I was wondering if my focussing was off.

6. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    Don't forget sometimes they don't mention that they used filters.
    The aperture just gave you an idea, plus the light condition change as well and I'm sure they shoot only around sunset or sunrise where the light are uptimum.

7. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    But does that mean that at f/8 landscape pictures will be sharp from front to end? Or would that require a higher aperture?

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Look up hyperfocal distances and learn to use a depth of field calculator. Depending on where you focus, the scene and the focal length f 5.6 is quite often enough for DOF on an MFT body.